Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

17

“Please stop! Please!” Tears streamed down my face as I sat huddled in the corner by the front door.

I don’t even really know what set Anthony off. One minute we were having a conversation, the next the table was on it’s side, food and broken china littered the kitchen floor.

Anthony stood towering over me as I screamed and cried. I’d given up trying to act brave, I was just too scared.

He was just about to swing at me again when a hoarse voice called down the stairs.

“Anthony, don’t hurt her.”

And finally my fucking mother came to my rescue, albeit a little bit too late, but it’s the thought that counts.

In the moment when Anthony turned his focus to her frail body standing at the top of the stairs, I made my exit. Pushing him aside and darting out the front door.

I didn’t know where I was going, but I just kept running. My lungs burned, my sides ached, my knees were weak, but I kept going.

Houses and street signs were starting to look familiar, and then I realized where I was going. I took a left and then a right, sure I had only been there at night but I had always been good with directions.

I swung around the back of Julia’s house and booked it into the woods. It was so much easier to find the tree house in the day time. Descending the ladder was harder though because of the tears.

When I reached the top I collapsed on the wood floor and let go of the sobs I was holding in. Not gonna lie, I sounded like some sort of dying whale. I didn’t care enough to be embarrassed though.