Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

47

“Katie, can you help me with something?” I was desperate. I was at my wits end.

“Sure thing, what do you need?”

And I couldn’t fucking do it.

“Oh never mind. I thought I lost my wallet, but I just found it,” I lied, whilst simultaneously face palming myself. “Um, I’ll see you at school, yeah?”

“Yeah. Glad you found your wallet too, that would’ve sucked if you’d lost it for real.”

Why did Katie have to be such a sweetheart? And why did I have to be such a pussy? Seriously. I couldn’t even ask my fucking best friend to buy me a pregnancy test. Well, was Katie my best friend? She really was all I had aside from Julia and God knows she’s not my best friend. Technically Gavin was my boyfriend, so he couldn’t be the best friend either. That left Katie, the sweetest person I knew, and yet I still didn’t have the balls to ask her.

I know she wouldn’t have judged me. Hell, she probably wouldn’t have even told Julia. That’s how sweet she was.

History was awkward as fuck since the breakup, I tried my best to get on John’s nerves by not paying attention, not doing work, and being a distraction. In the end I was probably hurting myself more than him, but he was pretty damn pissed.

“Halloween is spooky shit, man,” Julia said, munching on a taco. “Yesterday at work I found a pregnancy test shoved in one of those things you’re supposed to put dead people in.”

“Body bags?” Katie asked, bewildered.

“Urns?” I said, taking a wild guess.

“Yeah, urns. I think it’s a sign from Satan. I think he’s going to sacrifice someone’s baby.” It was hard to take her serious while she waved her taco around as she said this. Then again, it was always pretty hard to take her serious.

“I thought you didn’t believe in religion,” Katie said, staring at Julia with this kind of ‘What the fuck?’ face.

“I don’t, but Satan man, he’s out for someone’s baby.”

Katie brushed her long red hair away from her face and rolled her eyes at me, silently making fun of Julia. I couldn’t help but smile.

Gavin and I met up in the upstairs hallway behind the gym after lunch. He laced his fingers with mine and we started our descent down the packed hallways. It was kind of nice, being Gavin’s girlfriend. I got to hold him on my arm and stare down the other girls, silently communicating that he was my boyfriend, and they would all look at me like I was the luckiest girl ever. And I was. I was with Gavin Fucking Tucci, Mr. Sexy Italiano.

We lingered outside of the English room, sharing one last kiss before class started. We were in the perfect line of vision for the man standing across the hallway, Mr. Harrington.

Now don’t get me wrong, I had genuine feelings for Tucci, he wasn’t just a vessel of revenge on John for me to PDA with. But hey, two birds, one stone, right?

I caught a glimpse of John staring at us, and a smirk crept onto my lips. He tried to look away before we made eye contact, but he was a millisecond too late. My eyes bore into his beautiful blue ones. It only lasted a second, but it was all I needed.

Fuck stress. I was in complete fucking control.

That is until my stomach lurched and my taco made a reappearance all over myself and the floor.

Fuck. My. Luck.