Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

55

After dropping Tucci off at work I decided to nip into town and pick up some dinner for Mom and Anthony. Chinese food sounded like a good idea, and it had to be healthier than instant ramen noodles. As I was driving through town a sign caught my eye. It was neon green with big black letters: NOW HIRING.

When I lived with dad in North Carolina I had a job, but I hadn’t thought about getting a new one here in Pennsylvania. But why not? What was there to lose? With a baby on the way I needed all the money I could scrounge up. So I stopped in, put on my cheeriest smile, and asked for an application.

It was a pet store. Nothing too glamorous. I would be in charge of feeding the animals and cleaning out the litter boxes. I liked animals a lot, and in a weird way that job would prepare me for the baby. Taking care of kittens, puppies, hamsters and fish all day gave me some sense of responsibility.

A few days passed and they called back, I had gotten the job. Hallelujah.

Tucci’s hours at the pool got changed so we ended up sharing the car. I would drop him at work and then drive myself to work, and some days he would get the car and drop me off. It was nice being able to have the car even just some of the time. It saved time and made getting around a lot easier.

We both made it to school on time everyday. No more detentions for Regan. Things at home were looking up. All in all everything was going good.

Too good. Ever since dad died my luck had run out, so this was very abnormal, and put me on edge. Something was going to happen. Something had to happen.

Then again maybe I was just an idiot tempting fate, but still.

The days were dragging by in a boring fashion: school, work, home. Tucci and I hadn’t been spending nearly enough time together, apparently he was feeling the same way. One Friday when I was nearly two months into my pregnancy, Tucci and I both had off.

“So I was thinkin, we’d go for dinner. Nah mean, jellybean?”

“Sounds fantastic,” I smiled.

We’d made these plans on Thursday while in the car on the way to work. It left me excited for the next day, giving me something to look forward too.