Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

63

“Regan, what the hell is going on?” Katie muttered as she took hold of Mr. H’s other side and together we dragged him into the house.

“Look, I can’t explain it all really. But basically we’re friends and he got drunk and something happened and I need a place to keep him. Your parents are still away, yeah?”

She nodded as we eased our teacher down on the couch.

“I’ll get him a glass of water,” She sighed, heading for the kitchen.

“Some bread too, if you’ve got it,” I called. As soon as she was out of the room I started to unbutton John’s sweaty, dirty shirt. He must’ve fallen a fair amount because he was a wreck. His normally light blue shirt (a favorite of mine) had streaks of grass stains and dirt on the back.

I was right in guessing that he was wearing a t-shirt underneath. He usually always did that. Then I started working on his pants which also had grass stains on the knees. He was left sitting on Katie’s nice, white living room couch in his undershirt and boxers.

“Katie where’s your washer?” I asked when she returned with a bundle of rolls under one arm and a huge glass of water in the other.

“Okay, this is awkward,” She sighed, setting down the items in front of Mr. Harrington. “He’s in his underwear, in my house.”

“I know, I’m sorry. There are just things going on right now.”

“Yeah, I can see that. The wash room is by the back door. It’s right next to the bathroom back there. At first it looks like a closet but if you open the door you’ll find that it’s actually the laundry room.”

John groaned and rolled off the couch.

“On second thought, I’ll wash his clothes, you get babysitting duty.” She took the shirt and pants out of my hands and disappeared into the back hallway.

Katie’s house was big. I wasn’t sure what her parents did, but damn they sure did something. Everything was pristine, proper, in it’s place, shiny, and clean. They must’ve had cleaners. There was a big screen TV with surround sound in the living room. A pool table in the basement as well as another big screen TV.

I found it all rather amazing. Dad was well off, but we never spoiled ourselves with such things. To us watching movies on a moderate size television screen with crappy speakers was good enough, as long as we were together.

“John, you reek,” I said, wrinkling my nose at him. He stared up at me, dazed.

That night couldn’t get anymore fucked up. And probably the most fucked up part about it was that I kept Cayleigh a secret from John and Max. Hell, Max probably knew. The authorities probably informed him, asked him to identify the body. But I couldn’t tell John. And the worst part was, it wasn’t because I was afraid of upsetting him, it would hurt me to see him so upset over a girl that wasn’t me.

Hi, my name is Regan Anderson and I am a rotten bitch.