Status: going

Holding Down the Laughter

alyssa

It’s been a week since the first night back at school, and classes are starting tomorrow. As a way to celebrate before school starts, Josh decided to take me out for breakfast.

Since Josh found out about Tansey, we’ve become a bit closer. He knows as much about me as Sebastian, Riley, and Kat do now. He’s become one of my best friends.

He is determined to meet Tansey, who is coming up to visit today with my older brother. Adam is literally the only other person I trust with her, excluding the guys. This time, though, she’s going to be staying with me for the school year because I don’t have a roommate.

“I mean, I know things are going to be different with her here. I won’t be able to drink as much and I won’t be able to smoke in the room anymore, but I don’t really mind. This is the first time I’ll be seeing her for an extended period of time that isn’t 2 short months.”

“And it’s good that you’re not doing that anymore cause it’s gonna kill you one day.” Josh said, smiling at me. He’s expressed numerous times that he didn’t really like the fact that I smoke and drink as much as I do. It’s annoying, but cute at the same time. The boy sitting across from me looked towards the door as it opened and asked, “When are they getting here today?”

“Adam never really gave me a time. I’m hoping soon though.”

Josh just smiled and nodded. Since we were both done, he got up to pay and then left a tip on the table. When we were back in the car, Josh entangled our fingers once more.

The guys continually ask why Josh hasn’t asked me out yet because we’re constantly together and holding hands. It’s only because I told him not to.

A few nights ago, Josh asked me out on a date and I said no. When he asked me why, all I could say is that I wasn’t ready for it. Honestly, though, I just wouldn’t be able to put him through all the shit in my life.

In response, Josh kissed my cheek and said, “I promise I’ll break you down.” Then he left. The next day, we were talking and laughing like nothing had happened.

It was confusing, yes, but that’s exactly how I wanted it. I wanted to be friends with Josh, no matter what.

As we were driving back, Josh decided to break the usual silence.

“I don’t understand you, Lyss.”

“What is there to not understand? Besides the obvious.”

“You just always act like you don’t know who I am. Like, you didn’t freak out when we met or anything like most girls do.”

I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at the boy sitting next to me. He acts like such a diva, sometimes.

“Why would I freak out? You’re Joshua Ryan Hutcherson, you’re 19 years old, you were born on October 12, 1992, you have two tattoos, you have a really cute pit bull named driver, and you dated some girl named Vanessa.”

Josh pulled his truck over and put on his hazard lights. He turned a little in his seat and stared at me with just a look of confusion covering his face.

“Do you really not know?”

I was becoming more pissed and confused by the second as the boy just stared at me. It was like he knew some big secret and he was taunting me by not telling me.

“What am I supposed to know, Josh? I mean, I just met you a week ago.”

Josh just smiled and put his car in drive. He never answered me as he pulled into the parking lot of a mall. He still didn’t answer me as he was pulling me through the building, or buying tickets to a movie.

“Josh, seriously. Tell me.” The boy just shook his head and smiled before choosing a seat right in the middle of the empty theater and pulled me down with him. “I’m being serious, Joshua.”

He held his fingers up to his lips and shushed me as the lights began to dim. Josh put up the arm rest in between us and pulled me into his chest before wrapping his arm around me.

The movie started immediately, without any previews. It was some movie called ’The Hunger Games’, which I had never heard of. I really had no idea why Josh dragged me here.

It was only when a blonde boy was displayed on the screen that it all clicked.

“You’re fucking famous and I never knew? What the hell, Josh! You couldn’t have told me!?” I yelled at the boy sitting next to me, who just continued sitting like it didn’t phase him. He smiled and pulled me back into his chest once more.

“I thought you knew, sorry. Now be quiet and watch the movie I just paid twenty dollars for you to see.”

--

“I’m being so serious, Joshua. Explain, please.”

We had just gotten out of the movie, which was surprisingly good. Of course, I couldn’t really enjoy much of it because I was still caught up on the fact that Josh is a movie star.

Josh just laughed and led me over to a little park across the street. He sat Indian style on the ground underneath a tree and patted the spot across from him.

“Where do you want me to start, Lyss? I’ll actually tell you anything.”

So Josh really did tell me everything. About his career, at least. He told me all about Little Manhattan, Journey to the Center of the Earth one and two, and Bridge to Terabithia. Everything. Turns out, he’s a pretty big deal out there.

Still, he couldn’t seem to grasp that I had no idea.

“I never really had a chance to go out in the world, Josh. I mean, I spent all of my time in some boarding school in England starting at age 7. As soon as I was back from there, I was shipped off here. When I’m home, I don’t have the chance to leave the house without getting the shit beat out of me. The only reason I have a phone is because Adam pays for it.”

“And Adam is your brother, right?”

“Not even biological. He’s the only person I trust outside of Union and he treats me like a sister. I owe my life to him. But speaking of Adam, I should probably be getting back to the school. My baby’s on her way up.”

Before I could go anywhere after standing up, Josh was moving my face to look at him. He leaned forward until our lips were barely touching and whispered, “You’re such an amazing person, Alyssa.”

Without thinking, I closed the gap between us and pressed my lips against the older boys.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you to my one commenter;
skyrimjobs

I really needs comments to keep this going guys.
If you read, please try to leave a comment. It really boosts my motivation and makes me want to write more.

Leave ideas for what you guys wanna see!