On The Ledge

five - lost and insecure

You Found Me - The Fray
____________________

The day came and it hit her that she was going to drive six hours with a guy she's known two weeks, to be his date to his brother's wedding.

What am I getting myself into?

"You sure this is a good idea?" Sidney asked taking a sip of water while he leaned against the door frame of her bedroom. She wasn't even sure.

"I'm not sure" she replied, "But it could be really helpful for my article and I could use the time away"

"Is that it?"

She shrugged, "I don't think he should be alone"

"Why not?"

"Because anyone going through this shouldn't be alone. You were gone when he--and look what happened to me?"

He didn't like to think of the day he found her passed out on the front step of their place at 230am, but it still crossed his mind now and again. It scared him to think it could so easily happen again with Mark trying to get back into her life.

He nodded, "I suppose you're right"

"You may not have understood what happened, but you were there for me and sometimes that's all somebody needs" she said. He shook his head, "Your heart might be in pieces, but it's the biggest heart I've encountered" she smiled and threw the last thing in her bag and zipped it up, "You're the best Sid, you know that? I wouldn't be here without you"

He wrapped her in a hug and kissed her forehead, "Well I'm glad you were here after my concussion or I would have went crazy"

"I think the crazy part still happened, but at least I kept you in line" he just nudged her as she went to the front door and slipped on her shoes, "Have fun Livvy. Love you"

"Love you too Sid" she blew him a kiss out the door and met James in front of his car, "You watch out for her!" Sidney yelled out the door at him. He nodded in response and grabbed her bag for her, "Thanks" she smiled and climbed into the passenger seat.

The first hour was silent and it was starting to get uncomfortable for both of them. She didn't even know if she was wanted and James was starting to think that going alone didn't seem like such a bad idea, but Liv finally spoke.

"20 questions" she said, "To get the ball rolling"

"Excuse me?"

"Favorite color"

He still didn't know what she was trying to do and he didn't answer her, which frustrated her, "What's your favorite color Neal?"

"Blue...I guess. You?"

"Pink"

It was silent again and she just sighed, "Your turn to ask a question" she said, "Anything you want to know"

"Okay..." he paused for a moment running something through his head, "How about choose?"

"Choose?"

"Choose between two different things" he replied, "Does that count?"

She raised an eyebrow and realized he was actually trying now, "Sure" she smiled, "I'll take that"

He smirked, "Uh okay. Chocolate or Vanilla?"

"Definitely chocolate"

"Me too" he nodded, "Good choice"

She bit her lip and shook her head, "Um, okay. Rain or snow?"

He thought for a minute and looked over at her, "Probably rain" he kept his eyes on her for a minute and thought back to the day he found her soaked in front of the Iceoplex but he shook his head of those thoughts rememebering their deal. She nodded, "Yah, me too...you ever notice how everything looks just after it's rained?" she asked.

He shook his head in response and she just pursed her lips, "I love taking pictures after the rain. Or maybe even in the rain"

He gave her a quick smile and kept his eyes on the road, "You're different than everyone in the locker room makes you out to be"

"How's that?"

He just shrugged, "There seems to be more to you than they know"

"You mean like secrets?"

He just nodded, "I suppose"

"We all have secrets James, good or bad" the tone started to get depressing so she immediately changed the subject, "Favorite city to play in?" she asked.

"Uh, I know I haven't played in Pittsburgh long but having those fans behind you is amazing. They're amazing" hockey brings out something different in him, his eyes light up immediately no matter how much darkness was surrounding his heart in that moment.

"You sound like Sidney" she said, "He's dying to get back out on that ice"

"Yah I know" he sighed, "I've had a couple conversations with him. I think he's going to be back very soon"

"I hope you're right. You have no idea what he's like to live with in that state" she said. He just laughed, "That bad?"

"Bad enough" she said rolling her eyes. She yawned a little bit and rested her head back, "Tired?" he asked.

She nodded, "Very"

"Sleep...I don't mind"

"I think I might" she slipped her shoes off and put her feet up on the dashboard and closed her eyes. For a moment she felt peace, he might have been the reason but she quickly got that thought out of her head and sighed feeling like for once she might actually be able to sleep.

He glanced at her from time to time, making sure to watch the road. She was peaceful, even if only for a little while, even though he knew her mind was a mess. There was a part of him that wanted to know what he did, who he was but that would mean revealing his own troubles and he wasn't ready for that. And they had made a deal, he was a man of his word.

She didn't sleep long and when she did wake up, she was wired. They continued chatting for a while but there was a point where it got quiet and she had slipped her ray-bans on and put her earphones in. He could hear the music through her earphones because she was drowning out whatever he had playing, so he turned his up. She reached over after him and turned it down.

"Uh maybe you could stop?" he asked.

She took and earphone out and pointed to her ear, "What, I can't hear you" she put it back in before he could say anything and she turned it up louder.

His hands gripped the steering wheel tighter and he ignored it for a while until she started tapping to the beat of whatever she was listening to. It was getting towards the fourth hour and they were both getting a bit irritable.

It's that feeling you get when you're around someone too long. They both had little patience and four hours seemed to be too long.

"Ugh James I need you to stop, I have to pee"

"Little too much information"

"Seriously? Please just stop somewhere"

"We're not long from the border"

She sighed, "Or I could just pee in your empty water bottle right here" she held it up and he groaned and took a nearby exit, "You enjoy playing these games?"

"No game. I suppose I should have told you I'm not a great traveler"

He nodded, "Would have been useful information"

She just shrugged, "Too late to turn back now!" she had a big smile, but it wasn't a happy smile, it was more like the smile of a mischievous five year old who somehow enjoys making you miserable.

"You know I thought you were cool, now not so much"

She laughed, "When we get there, I'll be my old self again, trust me"

"I'm glad"

"But it's occupying your mind right?"

"Excuse me?"

"All I know is talking with you has kept my mind away from all the shit"

"So you're acting like this for me?"

"Maybe. You'll never really know. But I wasn't lying when I said I don't travel well...cause I really don't"

"I'll remember not to take any long trips with you again"

Her smile was genuine this time and she laughed a little, "Sidney's about the only one that can tolerate me in the car or on a plane"

"Maybe I'll get used to it"

He stopped in front of the gas station and they both stepped out, she turned and looked at him over the roof of the car, "Wouldn't count on it Neal" she winked at him and skipped into the building.