The Correlation Between Salvation and Love

12.

Image


Josh left before eight, leaving Sian to work on the last bit of her portion of their project. Sian sat on her bed with four books spread around her as she studied, humming Mozart under her breath quietly as the only other sound that filled the room was her fan buzzing softly across the room. She heard her bedroom door open, her father and mother both standing there as she glanced up to them. She gave them each a soft smile, looking between them with a confused look, “Is something the matter mother? Father?”

“I saw you with that boy,” Her father stated quickly, making Sian’s heart stop for a moment as her expression fell blank. She stared at her parents, her breathing labored as they both gave her disapproving looks. “He take advantage of you? Is that what happened?”

“I…well…”

“No, this is what I feared. She let him,” Her mother pursed her lips at Sian, giving her a disapproving look, “I did not believe your father when he told me Sian but I cannot believe you would even dare to stoop this low. That boy is nothing. Scum. He is the people we use to make our money and that is all he is good for. He will not support you, and I cannot condone this.”

“I am almost of age, mother. I can make some decisions you know.”

“To prove this rebellion phase you are in now is wrong, you are to bring him around this Friday for the party your Grandmother Abigail is hosting. You will see how out of place he is in our world and if she does not approve, you know what that means.”

“I don’t care what she bloody thinks or says!” Sian blushed as she shouted. Both of her parents stood there in shock giving her perplexed looks at her language, grammar, and loud tone. She rose up, crossing her arms as she stared them both down, “This is not fair! I should have a say in my own life!”

“I knew public was an awful idea,” Her mother muttered under her breath as she crossed the room, coming to stand toe to toe with Sian. She raised her hand quickly, slapping Sian across the cheek with a rough force. Sian gasped, raising a hand to rest where her mother hit her as she stared at her mother in awe. Her mother glared at her, grabbing her arm and holding on tight as she pulled her in close, “You listen carefully Sian Arroyo. You are under our control while you live with us. You listen. You obey. You behave. That means that boy is off limits. You have no say in this matter because you are too ignorant to know what is right and wrong for you. If you step out of line one more time young woman I will beat the rebellion out of you and leave you on the streets as if you were never born, do you hear me? You may be my daughter now but no daughter of mine would speak to me how you just did or do what you have done. You are acting like a street walking whore and if you continue I will treat you as such.”

Sian allowed the tears to freely stream down her cheeks as her mother finally let her go and stepped away. With one last scoff, her mother turned around and left Sian standing there. Her father glanced back at her momentarily, giving her an apologetic look as he softly closed her door with a light click. She quickly crossed the room to lock the door, letting her sob finally escape her. Choosing not to even cross the room, Sian leaned against the door and slid down with a hand over her mouth to mute the sobs she was choking on. Her entire body shook as she sat there in tears, listening as her father and mother argued down the hall. Her father screamed about her nan being insane and not any good judgment while her mother screamed about Sian being out of line and insane. Sian pulled herself up off her floor, crossing the room and snatching up her phone. She quickly dialed Josh’s phone number, hurrying into her bathroom and closing the door so she could get some privacy.

Josh picked up on the third ring, his voice sounding confused at the idea that Sian was calling him so soon after he left, “Hello? Sian?”

“Josh…”

“Sian, what’s wrong? What happened love?”

“I just need to talk to someone. I am so sorry. So so sorry. They saw us Josh. God, I am so sorry you got involved in this.”

“Sian, love, no need to apologize. Who saw what?”

“My dad Sian, he saw us on the balcony. I can not let this…Josh…please do not take this the wrong way. Please please don’t. I cannot be in a relationship with you right now though.”

“Sian…”

“Josh, please, just listen to me. Just…I care. I do. I want to, I really do. This is not because I do not want you. This is because I cannot allow myself to allow you to get mixed up in this messed up situation that I am in.”

“Love I want to…”

“No, Josh, please. I cannot have you coming around here. If you do, my mother will destroy everything I like about when we hang out.”

“Sian…I think I understand but I can’t let you. You know I’m goin’ to come around and fight for you. I know you’re from another world, but I can’t let you go love. I just can’t.”

“Josh…”

“I don’t want to see another man puttin’ his hands on ya. I don’t want to see another bloke even thinkin’ he has a chance with you. I’ll kill anyone that thinks about it. Not literally, but I’ll contemplate it…”

“Oh Josh,” Sian smiled as she wiped away at the last of her tears, putting her head down on her pulled up knees. “You make me crazy you know?”

“Love, there is not a way in all hell that I make you crazier than you make me.”

“I cannot handle you sometimes,” Sian sighed, sitting up straight and staring at the ceiling above her. “Look I know my parents, they will not let me go anywhere this weekend, but I will see you Monday. Meet me out front before classes? I will get there early…”

“Yes. Yes of course Sian.”

Image


“Josh!” Sian saw him get out of his car and ran over, throwing her arms around him before he could even close the door. She heard Elissa laughing inside the car and waved at her before closing the door for him. Josh laughed at her as well, wrapping his arms around her tightly and resting his forehead on her shoulder. Sian smiled, running her fingers through his messy hair and holding him close as he muttered out apologies to her, “Love I am so so sorry your parents saw. I should’ve known and been more careful. Especially with my bloody black eye, they probably hate me now.”

Sian sighed as she stepped back slightly, Josh’s hands still holding her waist as she did. She looked up at him, smiling at him as he gave her a confused look. Sweetly as she could, she leaned up just slightly and gave him a short and innocent kiss. She pulled away to stare up at Josh, smiling at him shyly. He smiled down at her, following her as she pulled back and kissing her once more. Sian laughed at him, pushing him away gently, “Stop it! You are insufferable.”

“Love, you think it’s bloody fantastic.”

“Come on, can we go inside already you crazy man? I have something to tell you.”

“I’ll follow ya wherever if you keep wearing little get ups like that love,” Josh smirked at her, making Sian roll her eyes and shove his shoulder lightly. Her outfit was out of her normal conservative zone, but she figured rebelling in clothing was her first step to making her parents realize she was no longer going to abide by their rules. Her usually knee length black skirt that was pleated chiffon was pulled higher to rest at mid thigh. Her tan cashmere sweater hung loose on her and sat dangerously close to the hem of her skirt. Rather than her tights and heals she usually was expected to wear, she wore just a pair of short brown boots. Her hair cascaded down her back in loose curls, no product or anything in it.

She pushed her Ray Bans up on top of her head as they entered the halls, blushing as Josh took her hand into his. She looked down at their hands, moving them to lace her fingers into his own and give his hand a tight squeeze. A few students stared at them as they passed curiously. Those around them were watching while they passed by as Josh leaned on the locker next to Sian’s and she grabbed her books. She turned to face him after, smiling at him as he pulled her up against him. Sighing, Sian looked down at the plaid pattern on Josh’s worn in flannel and reached up, toying with one of the buttons, “So…I fought with my parents after you left…”

“Sorry again love.”

“Hush you. Not. Your. Fault.” She poked him in the chest with each word, smirking up at him as she finished. He went to speak again and she tutted at him, shaking her head, “Let me finish. After the array of ways my mother told me she disapproved, and trust me there was many, she also told me you were going to have to come to my Grandmother Abigail’s party this Friday…”

“An old broad’s party? I can do that.”

“No no no, Josh. This is not what you think,” Sian sighed, shaking her head to attempt to calm herself down before she made eye contact again, “The dinner? That was mild compared to this. You have to look and act pristine. Perfect. My Grandmother is more judgmental than my mother and father combined and if you pass her test, mother will welcome you into her home with open arms. My mother will attempt to make you feel as though you are lower than dirt all night, as that is what I go through and I know she will put you through it. Understand I do not want this but if we hope at any chance of you coming to see me over the next six months that they have a hold on me still, this is the only option…”

“I’ll do it love, just have to help me…”

“I know,” Sian leaned up to kiss him, pulling away and stepping away from him with a small smile, “Liam is today. Let’s get to French though. Our project cannot be late.”
♠ ♠ ♠
And you all thought it was her mother. ;D

Thank you all for the feedback, subscriptions, and just reading in general! I have the next chapter started already, so expect an update quickly!