The Correlation Between Salvation and Love

06.

Image


Sian entered her home later that day nervously, her gaze sticking to the floor. She knew her mother would never approve of the situation she wanted to propose and planned to ask at their dinner. Heading to her room she began her two hour study session, trying desperately to focus. She got lost in thoughts of how to approach the situation, only to have one of the maids poke their head in and quietly startle her awake, "Madame, supper is served downstairs."

"Thank you," Sian muttered, standing up and slipping on her black heals that her mother intended for her to wear earlier in the day. Walking slowly down the stairs and into the dining hall, Sian took her usual seat a few away from her father and mother. Her mother looked her over, nodding in approval, "Quite pleasant outfit for today Sian. Good choice in hairstyling."

"Thank you Madame," Sian bowed her head, watching her food be set in front of her. Her mother and father chatted quietly, Sian staying silent as usual through out the dinner. She cleared her throat as the conversation died, making both parents look over to her. She looked between them both, holding eye contact with her mother in hopes to convey that she was asking her alone. "I have an odd question, if I may?"

"Of course dear," Her father spoke up, staring at her with a soft smile that she knew came from his expectations of entertainment from her arguments with her mother, "What is it?"

"I was assigned a group project for my school French course. While I can pass by myself, part of getting the perfect grade is working with a partner. She chose my partner and he has an ailing grandfather, therefore he cannot host us. Might I host the viewing of the video we must analyze here this weekend?"

Her mother fell silent, pursing her lips as she analyzed Sian closely. Sian kept silent under her nerves, staring at her mother with an expressionless look. Finally her mother sighed, looking down to her plate, "Will it interfere with your music course?"

"No ma'am."

"And your painting course?"

"No ma'am."

"Then I see no problems with this arrangement. They must dine with us that night however."

"Oh. Yes, of course Madame. Of course I shall inform him."

Her mother and father did not speak again the rest of their dinner. After dinner, Sian headed up to her room. She dug around her pile of stuff from the day on her bed until she finally found her cell phone, quickly pulling it open to send a text to Josh.

”Hello Josh, this is Sian! Terribly sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but you are welcome to come here for the film this weekend. However my mother and father request you dine with us. I need to talk with you about this, ask me tomorrow in class to explain alright? Thanks! Xo”

Sian tossed her phone aside after hitting send, shaking her head as she began her nightly shower and decomposing of the day. With one glance at the phone as it dinged with a text alert, she chose to ignore it and moved about her room to get ready for the next day instead.

Image


“Oi! Elissa! Come here a moment!”

“What do you want Joshua?”

“What kind of bird signs their text with xo?”

“One that is far too outdated...is this that prissy little one you were talking to earlier?”

“No…”

“Oi, lemme see! I think it is you prat!”

“Oh bugger off, it’s not!”

“Mhmmm. Sure Josh…”

“Go away Elissa.”

Image


The next day Sian entered into their French class looking and feeling exhausted. It was already Thursday and she was not looking forward to her weekend, despite her parents allowing a guest over for the first time in years. She all but fell into her seat, waiting for Josh to arrive impatiently so she could explain the situation with the dinner. Her outfit was more casual than anything she had ever worn before into the school, making the rest of her classmates stare weirdly at her as she passed them by. Choosing to for-go the typical dress or skirt rule, she instead wore a pair of tight black jeans. They were the literal only pair of jeans Sian owned and she rarely took them out in fear her mother would find out she had them. Her top was a soft cashmere sweater from Marc Jacobs that was too big for her, how she wanted it. She still had her black Ray-Ban wayfarers on, perched on the end of her nose, and her long blonde hair was pulled up high into a messy bun. Her only redeeming piece to the outfit was her black heals her mother tended to request she wear.

She spotted Josh walking in, his hair a mess atop his head and dark circles underneath his eyes from a lack of sleep. Sian pushed her sunglasses up, smiling delicately at him as he groaned and sat next to her, “Can we just ditch today? Please? I can’t do this.”

“Liam is already waiting for us, come on,” Josh perked up at this news, giving Sian an odd look. She stood up, gathering her things and practically running out of the class. Josh followed her, noticing for the first time that she had no books with her at all. She pulled her sunglasses down, the dark black making her coral colored lipstick pop even more. Leading him out to the front, she waved to Liam as he was leaning against the car. He straightened up quickly, opening the door for Sian and Josh. Josh climbed in first, confused by the situation at hand but going along with it anyways. Sian climbed in after, with the help of Liam, and within seconds they were off.

Turning to face a very confused looking Josh, Sian’s smile softened, “Sorry. I just, remember how I told you yesterday that this dinner was required?”

“Yeah, I didn’t quite understand what I had to ask about…”

“Here is the thing, while I enjoy how you and your friends are all scruffy looking young men with a distinct lack of high fashion in their lives, my parents would murder me if I dared bring you into the home looking the way you usually do. They expect their dinners to be like we are dining with the Queen on a nightly basis.”

“Oi, little over the top don’t you think?”

“Yes, however I do not get a say in this. Therefore, I am taking you shopping with me to get you the right clothing for the occasion.”

“I can’t…”

“Hush, it is their money not mine and you have to so we can get this project done, alright?”

“If I have to…”

“Good, now, sit back and enjoy Liam’s driving. Max is meeting us for lunch as soon as he finishes his Math exams.”

“We aren’t going to any classes?”

“Is there an issue with that?”

“No just didn’t think you had it in you,” Josh looked taken back and impressed simultaneously, making Sian blush under his watchful gaze. Turning to look out the window, Sian watched as they made their way into central London, “There is a lot you guys do not know about me Joshua. Stick around long enough and you may come to know them…”

“Like your sass?” Josh smirked over at Sian, though she continued to stare out the window to hide her blossoming smile. “Yeah, like that.”

Sian caught Liam’s eye in the rearview, making Liam smile widely at her. She rolled her eyes at him, sighing softly, “Enjoy the ride, we are about to enter into quite the traffic cluster.”

Image


When they arrived in the more posh side of London, in Mayfair, Josh’s eyes looked like they were bugging out as his jaw hung open in awe when they stopped in front of the Paul Smith store. Liam opened the door for them, aiding Sian out of the car and waiting on Josh to climb out before shutting the door again, “I’m parkin’ this bastard around the corner Sian, I’ll be back in just a mo’ alright?”

“Quite well, thank you Liam,” Sian curtsied at Liam as Liam laughed at her politeness she always adopted when around the society her parents forced her into. She looped her arm into Josh’s, making the boy blush a bit as she led him up to the Paul Smith store. “Love I can’t…I don’t…”

“I told you Joshua, my parents are paying for this since they expect it of you without giving you a chance. Trust me, this is for the best.”

“I just…Sian these stores are so posh…”

“I know, they expect it,” Sian smiled at Josh slightly, showing her hesitation to bring him into her world. Josh noticed it, sighing softly and forcing a smile to make her feel more comfortable, “S’okay, I get it love. Lets just get in and get out fast alright?”

“Sounds lovely,” Sian pushed her Ray-Ban sunglasses up as they entered, glancing to Josh one more time, “Do not be put off by the looks they will give you, okay? We can head back to Surrey after this to meet Max for lunch.”

Josh gave her a confused look, only to let it be replaced quickly with a smile to attempt to keep her comfortable. Some woman in all black approached them, giving Josh a sour look as she looked directly to Sian and made it clear she was speaking to only her, “Can I help you miss?”

“My dear friend Joshua here is attending a gala with me this weekend and has nothing to wear to it! I need to get a suit outfit, without the blazer, fitted and tailored for him.”

“Ma’am I don’t know if you’ve come to the right place…”

“Come on love, we can just…” Josh began to say, only to stop when Sian shot him a look. She looked the woman up and down, smiling sourly and making Josh take a step back, “You understand that money speaks where I am from, correct?”

“And where is that, madame?”

“America. Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York to be specific. My father gave me unlimited credit. I would love to use it here, but I will need you to drop your attitude first,” Sian looked the woman over again, rolling her eyes and nodding over to Josh, “My friend and I are thinking of a nice pair of black slacks, maroon or plum for the shirt, and some suspenders. Can you manage?”

The woman quickly stuttered out apologies and shuffled off to fulfill Sian’s request, leaving Sian and Josh alone in the front of the store. She turned to Josh with a small sigh, giving him a strained smile, “I am terribly sorry you had to witness that. I hate to treat anyone that way but in these stores and places that is the only way you get any respect, otherwise they walk all over you and ignore you.”

“Why come then?”

“Because I know from my mother treating me like they do that if I do not then I shall be not spoken to or aided in any way, shape, or form.”

“Oi, sorry Sian…”

“It is quite alright…” They stayed silent the next few minutes waiting on the sales woman. Sian had to admit, as it got closer and closer to the dinner she began to dread it more and more. After paying the seven hundred dollars the store wanted for everything, Sian led them out to meet Liam and get a ride back into town. She dropped Josh to hangout with Max, faking a fever to get out of it and head back to the house. Once there, under the aid of the wait-staff and Liam, she snuck out to the small house on site Liam’s family lived in and crawled into the spare bed for a nap until her family was home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I absolutely adore Sian, ugh.

Thank you again for the support! I've got such wonderful feedback on this story so far :D

Thank you to:
Mr Reckless.
&
Thirtysecondstoearth!

Your commentary is MUCH appreciated!!!