Home Is Where The Cell Is

Puck-Empty Promises

“Why are you here?” I ask the man whose name is printed on my birth certificate.
“I can't see my kids?” He asks.
“That's not an answer.” I say.
“I came to see you both.” He looks over at Rachel. She hasn't said more than word since sitting down.
“Why?” I ask again.
“I missed you guys.” Rachel snorts at his answer.
“Rach-” He starts but Rachel stops him.
“My name is Rachel.” The acid pouring out of voice could burn you.
“Rachel.” He corrects himself.
“I know that you guys don't want to see me but I want to see you.”
“We're not telling you where the money is.” I say.
“What money?” The man I can only remember because of pictures asks innocently.
“What money.” Rachel says quietly.
“You don't have to play dumb with us. We won't tell you.” I look at Rachel and can tell she's seething. It's a good thing she's in solitary already. Someone would be getting hurt if she wasn't.
“I don't want your money. I mean you're in jail, how much could you possibly a hundred bucks?” He laughs at us.
“Do you know why we're in here?” I ask him
“Noah, of course he does. Why else would he be here?” Rachel asks dropping the dumb act.
“I actually don't.” Our father looks at us.
“Don't tell him Noah.” Rachel orders me.
“We robbed a lot of money from a lot of rich people.” I say smugly.
“Idiot.” Rachel looks away at one of the guards. She stands and waits for him to walk over.
“Where are you going?” Our dad asks her.
“What, you actually care now?” Rachel turns and puts her hands behind her back.
“Rach-el, please stay.” He looks at her sadly. It's too bad he doesn't know her better. At least then he'd know that it was useless playing the emotion card. Then he'd know that Rachel doesn't really have any emotions, he'd know that she guards her heart like her life depended on it.
“Why should I?” Rachel snaps at him and the guard waits.
“Because I'm asking you to.” I wonder if he knows how lame that sounds.
“Well, now you'll know how if felt to be us when you left even though we begged you to stay. Even though cried and wanted you so badly. Well I don't want you anymore. I don't need you anymore.” Rachel lead the way back to solitary.
“She hates me.” My dad looks at me.
“She's not the only one.” I say.
“Why are you staying then?” He asks.
“Because I'm not like you.” I say. He nods.
“I'm really here to try with you both again.” He smiles. Rachel looks so much like him. The smile, the eyes, her face. I look like our mother with his smile but Rachel was him.
“You had 22 years to do that. It's a little too late for us now.” I couldn't believe he thought we'd be happy to see the man who left us, who unknowingly turned us into the people we are now.
“I understand that your both mad at me but I will continue to try with you.” I nodded and signaled a guard. I was done here. I didn't want to hear empty promises, not again.
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMMMENT! :)