Status: Incomplete...

Unwonderland

Twenty Two

Tentatively he crawled out of bed. He felt nauseous, and he didn't know where the bathroom was. Great. The nausea settled, but he still felt uneasy.

"Alexias, duck!" he heard from the hallway. Slowly he opened his door, peaking around the corner. He saw Sebastian. Something struck Sebastian, he went down. oh no. Abel took off running down the hallway. He felt the color drain from his face.

"Alexias!" Abel yelled, his feet pounding into the soft carpet of the hallway. Alexias stood up, whirling around on her open door. He didn't see in the room, he was watching the blood poor out of Sebastian's wound.

She spoke, her voice hard, her shoulders rigid, "who are you?"

Abel didn't hear an answer, he noticed Alexias turn on them.

"Pick him up," she ordered, stepping around the mess. Abel tried to pick Sebastian up with little pain. The poor boy held on against the pain, but he did make little whimpers here and there. Once he had Sebastian situated, Alexias led them to the infirmary. Abel stepped lightly, trying not to jostle to nearly conscious boy. The nurse looked surprised to see them.

She gasped, rushing to their aide, "what happened?" she exclaimed, pointing frantically to a table with white paper covering it.

"We were attacked," Alexias said softly, worry taking over her features. Alexias looked deep in thought, it's as if Abel could read her mind.

Abel spoke what he thought she was thinking, "is he going to make it?" by her expression he was dead on the mark.

"Yes, it's just a flesh wound. But he'll be incapacitated for a while. It'll take a bit longer to heal. Looks like the sword penetrated the bone," the nurse answered to him, Sebastian's face went pale.

"The bone?" he asked quietly. His breathing became harsh, short, he was hyperventilating. Alexias took his face in between her palms. Abel had to refrain from smiling at her. She was just so kind, he couldn't hold it all in.

"Sebastian, take a deep breath," she ordered softly, soothingly, "you'll be just fine. The nurse will patch you up, and in a few weeks you'll be good as new," Alexias smiled down at him.

"You promise?" he was like a little kid, his eyes wide and peering up at her. He was scared, Alexias nodded her head slowly, backing up for the nurse to pull out the sword. Alexias took Sebastian's hand, when the nurse situated herself in front of him.

"This will hurt. Squeeze my hand," Abel saw Sebastian's hand tighten around Alexias'. The nurse began to talk soothingly to Sebastian.

"On the count of three. One. Two," before she got to three, she ripped out the sword. Sebastian cried out, clutching his shoulder, "sorry, honey, but it was easier if you didn't know. Not nearly as painful," she mumbled as she placed the sword far away from the table, "please remove your hand."

Sebastian did as he was told, breathing harshly, gritting his teeth against the pain, "I have to clean it. Please remove your shirt."

Alexias blushed, letting Abel take over. She left the room. Abel took Sebastian's hand, easing the boy's shirt off. It looked more gruesome now than it did.

When the nurse advanced on Sebastian with the cleansing stuff, Abel had to advert his eyes. He couldn't watch. Abel thought Sebastian would be in pain, screaming because it stung. But he sighed in contempt. He was actually calming down. The nurse smiled at Abel.

"You were expecting screaming, weren't you?" she giggled lightly, grinning at him.

"Yeah," he rubbed the back of his head, smiling in shame.

"Don't worry, everyone does," she shrugged, dropping the cleansing stuff on the counter, "I have to stitch you up now."

Sebastian nodded, his mouth hanging open, his breathing ragged, his face downcast. Abel turned away, just as the needle was inserted into Sebastian's skin. Sebastian sucked in a breath, his spine growing rigid.

"Alright, the painful part is over," the nurse clapped her hands, grabbing a bandage roll. Sebastian sighed in relief. Abel watched as the nurse skillfully wrapped the bandage around Sebastian's shoulder and midsection, "All better?"

"Yeah," Sebastian breathed. His eyes drooped some.

"Here, take this," she handed him a pill. He swallowed it immediately.

"M-may I...take a nap, now?" Sebastian mumbled, leaning backwards. Abel and the nurse supported his head and body, as he lied down.

"Sure honey," they helped him lie down. Before his head hit the pillow, he was already asleep.

"I'll be back to take him to bed after I check on Alexias," Abel whispered, ducking out of the room.

Alexias was taking a deep breath as he walked out of the infirmary. He felt just as tired as Alexias looked.

"How is he?" Alexias peered up at him, inquisitively, through red puffy eyes. Was she crying?

"He's fine. The nurse patched him up, and he's drugged with pain medicine," Abel chuckled. Alexias smiled.

"Thank god," Alexias breathed, collapsing into Jeston's shoulder. Abel's heart dropped into his stomach. Was something wrong with Alexias now too?

"Alexias?" Jeston leaned over her face. Alexias moaned. Abel sighed softly, she was just tired.

"Let's take her to bed," Abel offered, scooping her into his arms. She leaned her head on his shoulder and Abel felt her relax.

Silently Jeston and Abel went to Alexias' room.

"Careful, she hasn't slept well in days," Jeston whispered, pointing to the right side of the bed, and pulling the covers back.

"And you know this how?" Abel whispered back as he gently placed her on the mattress. Jeston covered her back up, and looked at him condescendingly.

"I'm her best friend," he answered, his voice rising as they cleared her room. Abel stopped nerves picking away at his stomach, "I could tell. I can always tell."

Abel nodded, crossing his arms, "I have to get Sebastian. Please stay here and watch her."

"You love her, don't you?" Jeston smirked at him. Abel grinned back and nodded.

"Yeah. I have to say, got a little jealous when you showed up at the clearing. Thought you were her boyfriend," Abel shrugged, starting to walk away. He heard Jeston chuckle and a door close.

***
"Welcome back," the nurse smiled. Abel grinned back at her, "here for Sebastian?"

"I am," he nodded, looking at the bed where Sebastian still laid.

"He's out," she giggled, "he won't feel a thing."

"Thank you," Abel smiled, scooping Sebastian up gently.

"No need to thank me," she grinned as he left. Abel returned it and shimmied out the door.

"Abel," a wispy voice stopped him on the first step. He turned around, half expecting a servant, but it was the White Queen herself.

"Uh, yes ma'am?" he straightened his spine.

"I need to see you ten a.m. sharp, this morning," she declared.

"Yes ma'am. What time is it now?" Abel asked, he's been up for an hour or so, but he had no idea what time it was.

"Six o'clock," she smiled.

"I must get Sebastian to bed. See you in a couple of hours," Abel went to turn around, but the Queen claimed his attention again.

"What happened to Sebastian?" she approached closer, examining Abel's load.

"Him and Alexias were attacked this morning. I didn't see the attacker, but Alexias did—"

"Is Alexias okay?" she cut in, worry dripping from her voice.

"Yes, Sebastian told her to duck just in time. Alexias tried to pull him down. Good thing too or he'd be dead," Abel blinked at her, offering Sebastian in his arms.

"Oh my!" she fretted. Abel started to shake his head.

"No no, it's okay. He got a sword in the shoulder, but he'll be okay," Abel smiled. The Queen sighed in relief.

"I'm glad. I must go. Remember ten o'clock sharp," she warned, pointing at him.

"Promise," he moved toward the stairs.

***

Someone poked Abel in the cheek, he startled awake, "huh—what?" he looked around uncomprehendingly. Abel felt a strong warmth beside him, the Bandersnatch. Abel vaguely remembered Jeston was at the foot of Alexias' bed on the floor, and Sebastian was placed next to her in bed. Abel heard him breathing softly.

"What time is it?" she whispered to Abel. He forgot he was hugging her alarm clock. How weird this must look.. He pulled away from it and looked Through blurry eyes.

"Nine-thirty. I set an alarm for ten. The Queen said she needed me then. Sorry if I crept you out," he leaned his back against the Bandersnatch. falling back asleep.

"No," she shook her head, tiptoeing off of the bed. Her heard her rouse Jeston, but he was already back asleep.

***

A noise went off, scaring the hell out of him. He jumped, startling the Bandersnatch also.

"Sorry, alarm clock went off," he whispered to the Bandersnatch. It relaxed again, sighing. Abel scrounged to his feet, turning off the alarm. He scratched his head, rubbed his eyes and left Alexias' room. See, he had to change, quickly, he mustn't be late. Late for a very important date. He added in his subconscious, smirking in spite of himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long. Hasn't been such a good time right now. Rentals are being jerkholes and causing craters in my life. Hope you like though, I tried as hard as I could, not to incorporate what I am going through. I hope it's not noticeable. Leave me some some love though. Please.