Roomies

Folkin' Around

"So are you with him?" Mariah interrogated over the phone after Edith had dished out what had gone down about a week ago. At the moment, she was packing for her trip home to Chi-town.

Shifting her droid so it rested in the crook of her neck, as she flooded clothes before packing them into her suite case, "Well, not really... I think he's content without a title."

"But if you could put a title on it-"

"Is this an interview?" Edith teased, placed her hand on her hip, stopping her work. Mariah giggled, knowing that she had gotten caught,

"I'm sorry, I can't help myself. It's just... I'm not sure how to describe it. You're- You're fuckin' around with a hockey player. A professional athlete and you live with him. So yeah, it's kinda a big deal to me."

Edith laughed, as she shook her head at her friend as she resumed packing for her trip. She wasn't aware that Mike had been standing in the door way listening to her conversation until he snuck his arms around her waist and kissed her just below the ear. This made her jolt up with a squeak before she relaxed back into his arms. Ending the conversation with her friend, she threw the phone onto the bed before turning around to face him.

"Hey," She smiled as she wrapped her arms around his neck. It had been hard to accept his affection at first and in the past few days she had found herself torn because she had pushed him away at times. She desperately wanted to be completely with him, but part of her still wasn't over Jason and the other part wasn't ready to completely trust him with her heart. She allowed him to press his lips to hers because she knew that it was harmless. 

"Do you have to leave?" He inquired after they pulled apart and held her flush against his body. He loved being able to hold her in his arms. Knowing that she didn't want any part of him that had something to do with his occupation. He reviled in the idea that she was slowly becoming more open with him about her past. However, he hadn't been able to get her to move into his room yet. He understood her need for space, but it was so frustrating for her hold him at arms length when all he wanted to do was have her sleep next to him at night.

She gave him a look he wasn't able to describe. Part of it said, don't start this and the other said, i don't want to. There was almost a trace of regret in her eyes as she looked back at her suite case. They had had this discussion before, he had expressed his desire to spend Christmas with her and she had told him she needed to be with her mother. They had compromised on spending New Years together, whether that was by themselves or with his team had yet to be decided.

"Mike..." She began, her voice strained with emotion as she leaned her head on his chest, needing his support more than anything right now. It was harder for her to leave him, now that they were some type of together. Before she could say anything, he cut her off,

"I know, babe, I know. Going to see your mom means the world to you and I wish I could join you. I'd love to meet her, she sounds like a remarkable woman."

Giving a soft smile in return, she hug him a little tighter. It meant a lot to Edith to hear him say that. The opportunities for Mike to meet her how ever were limited because of his job and her illness. She knew her mom would like him though he was a lot like her dad in his mannerisms and thought processes. Her mother would no doubt gush over him.

"Maybe we could have a Skype session with her?" Edith suggested, suddenly, stepping out of his grasp to grab her MacBook, seating herself on her queen sized bed, patted the spot next to her signally for Mike to join her. He wasted no time after her invitation, flopping down next to her, so that he, too could see the computer screen. Eddie had logged onto her Skype and was connecting to her mother.

Once the Skype session was connected, Mike got his first view of Martha and David Olszewski. Martha, bless her heart, was in a hospital gown with a purple bandanna wrapped around her head. She looked a lot like an older version of Eddie. There was a similar fire behind her eyes that reminder him a lot of his lover's, only this fire was kindled from fierce determination not to loose her fight against cancer. Her father, David, looked a lot like Harrison Ford only with a silvery beard. His eyes were hopeful, but solemn.

"Mom, dad!" Eddie greeted them, cheerfully with a wave, "How's everything going?"

"Great, Eddie! We've got some great news for you!" Her mother informed her beloved daughter, eyes now shinning with barely contained excitement. Edith chuckled a little bit at her mom's mood.

"That's awesome mom!" Edith smiled and rested her chin in her hand, "What's your news?"

"Apparently, there is some new type of treatment out where you are in LA and I talked with my doctor about it and he gave me the thumbs up to try it!" She announced, smiling from ear to ear, "We were moving out here in a few days. Our townhouse already ready for us. Your father's been flying back and forth since Thanksgiving."

Edith's jaw dropped, that definitely wasn't the news she had been expecting to hear. She had thought that she was supposed to be flying out to Chicago, not them flying out here, but she understood. There was nothing more she wanted than to see her mom get better, no matter how small that chance actually was.

"Mom, that's great! So I won't have to come out for Christmas?"

Her mother rolled her eyes at her, which made Mike laugh a little. Martha must've heard him because she asked who Edith was with. Edith shot Mike a nervous look, before she turned the computer so that he could be introduced to her parents, 

"Mom, Dad, this is my roommate, Mike Richards. Mike, this is my mom: Martha and my dad: David."

"It's a pleasure to meet you." Mike smiled, warmly at the old couple. It was odd for him to feel so comfortable with meeting a girl's parents, but Eddie wasn't just a girl to him. She was the best woman he could ever have. She just didn't see it yet. She was still on the mend from her recently collapsed relationship, but she was getting better. She would understand once she actually went out with him on the date he had planned the night before she had been supposed to leave from the windy city.

"Well, aren't you handsome!" Martha chirped, "Dave, doesn't he have the same name as the Flyers captain. He looks a lot like him!"

Her father studied him for a moment, before nodding his head in agreement. " Yeah, he does, Marty."

Mike flushed a little embarrassed that they would recognize him so easily. He had moved on from that chapter of his life, he was a King now. He decided to tell them so,

"Well, I actually play for the Kings now. Hence why I'm out in LA and not in Philly."

"Eddie!" Her mother gasped, "You live with a hockey player!"

Edith blushed a little having been caught for not telling her parents the whole truth and even that was the whole truth. She hadn't informed them about being romantically involved with someone, yet. Maybe she'd wait to deliver that blow until she could see them in person. Her parents had been devastated when they found out that her engagement with Jason had dissolved. They had been almost as in love with the snake as she had been. It didn't bother her as much now that she had someone like Mike, it was funny how things changed.

"Yeah, actually, the funny thing was that I had no idea who he was until he told me what he did for a living." Edith admitted, rubbing the back of her head sharing a tender look with him as she talked with them, "It was kind of embarrassing actually."

At that moment, Mike wanted nothing more than to kiss the lip that she was biting, but he refrained from the action seeing that she hadn't introduced him as anything other than her roommate. He figured she was saving that until she could tell them in person and that it wouldn't be quite the overload for them now.

"Well, that's interesting, sweetheart." Her father spoke up, sharing a look with her suddenly tired looking mother. The treatments effects must be taking their toll on her system. "We'll talk to you before Christmas."

Edith nodded in understanding before saying goodbye. She wasn't sure how to take her parents reaction to her telling them that she was living with a man. They probably thought she was living in sin and would need to be cleansed or worse they would try to bring Jason down for a visit when they knew was coming over. They were just that meddling, especially if they didn't like Mike.

"I'm sorry about that... My parents adored Jason and I guess seeing me with another man scares them a little because they saw how good Jason was to me." She whispered, her head hanging down trying to hide the fact that she was about to cry. 

Mike wasted no time in wrapping his arms around her in a comforting embrace. She, immediately, buried her face in the crook of his neck and let out a sob. He hated seeing her this way. He hated to see her cry because of the dumb bastards mistake, but without his mistake he would'be never known that Eddie existed so part of him was grateful.

"Babe, they'll come around. I promise. Do you want me to help you unpack your things?" He asked, rubbing her back in soothing circles. She nodded, sniffling as she answered him,

"That would be great. T-thank you."

Pulling away from her, Mike forced her to look at him. It broke his heart to see her eyes all red and puffy. Wiping the tears away from her cheeks, he kissed her forehead, 

"You don't have to thank me, babe. It's nothing." 

Edith gave him a watery smile, but the moment was broken when the sound of a tail thumping on the floor. They both looked up to see Arnold, staring intently at his master with his leash in his mouth. Eddie chuckled,

"It looks like he wants to go for a walk."

Mike went over to his loyal companion and bent down to take his leash, saying, "Wanna go for a walk, Arny? Wanna go walk?"

The lab's ears perked up and he ran down stairs, barking to them know he was ready. Edith and Mike laughed at his eagerness, before  Mike stood back up and offered her a hand,

"Well, I guess I have to take Arnold out. Wanna come with?" Edith smiled and took his hand, allowing him to pull him off her bed,

"Sure, let me grab a jacket." Walking over to closet she grabbed her black Columbia jacket and then went back to Mike's side, "Ready!"

Mike smiled down at her and took her hand once more, leading her down stairs. He only let go to snap the leash onto Arnold's collar before he grasped it once more, allowing the dog to lead them out of the house. Edith couldn't help but laugh at him, it was adorable to see how much Mike loved his canine friend.

 The three made their way down to the beach where Mike often took Arnold because it allowed the dog to run free and enjoy the water. Boy, did Arnold love the water! Well, he was a lab so did that surprise anyone? Picking up a stick, Mike threw it into the surf and Arnold chased into the water after it. Mike, then, turned and drew Edith closer to him until he was standing behind her with his arms drapped around her waist. They stood there for a moment watching the sun set. It was nice to share this private moment with her since there weren't many people that lived on the beach during the winter. Resting his chin on top of her head, he sighed, contently, thinking of how this moment couldn't get any better than it was that was until she turned around face her. Her skin aglow with the sun's last light, her dark hair almost looked purple in the orange backdrop that the twilight sky had become. What she said next almost made him want to drag both her and Arnold back to the house, so that he could have his way with her.

"Mike, can I sleep with you tonight?"

He did ask for the sudden change of mind although he knew it had nothing to with sex. No matter how much he wanted it to be. But none the less, her words made his heart soar. Leaning  down he crashed his lips on her without warning and automatically, she twisted her fingers in his curly hair. There was something different about the way she kissed him and he couldn't put his finger on it but whatever it was, it was a welcome change. He would take this than her being timid about it. Pulling away long enough to look her in the eyes he told her,

"Eddie, you never have to ask me to do that. You're welcome in my bed whenever you please. You know that."

Edith blushed, knowing that his words were true. He had dropped hints that he had wanted her to spend the night with him on several occasions, but she had turned him down in fear of the affect it would have on her heart. She didn't want fall for him too hard or too soon, but she was beyond the point of falling. He had been nothing but patient with her desperate attempts to push him away, allowing her to come around on her own and now that she had, she was ready for the next unorthodox step of their relationship.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shout to Jayla1231, Babygurl1944, Catherine, Liar's Pants On Fire, and Geno'sGirl71 for the awesome comments. I hope you like the new chapter! This one is for you guys! I'm kinda bummed the Kings didn't sweep the Yotes today but at least the Rangers beat the Devils and the Reds won their series against the Yankees! Also I am graduating next weekend! So excited!