Status: Finished =)

I Have but Two Faces

Look How Far We've Come

Zane and I arrived at the church two hours before graduation. Yes, you read correctly ~Graduation~. Today is June 1st and we are finally graduating from high school. We got out of the truck and sauntered into the event hall under the chapel. We were immediately greeted by our friends.
"Sonya!" Luke pounced on me, making me drop my things.
"Hey Luke." I smiled.
"Sorry." He smiled back. He helped me pick up my things. "So you ready to graduate?"
"Oh yes." I groaned. This year has been long and tedious. "Hey Micky. Marco." I hugged each.
"Hey Son." They greeted back.
We found a small round table to sit at as we waited for instructions about today. "Zane, what are you doing here?" Luke finally asked. "You don't go to this school."
"That's rude, Luke." Micky scolded.
"It's fine." Zane smiled. "I actually got special permission to graduate with you guys. Since I'm home schooled I had to jump through hoops to do it, but about a week ago I heard back from the school and they said I could walk with ya'll." I was wicked pumped about that fact even though I knew my happiness didn't compare to Zane's. Zane radiated with glee that he was getting the chance to walk down the aisle with all his friends.
"That's awesome, Zane." Luke high fived Zane with a grin.
"Aint it? Oh look at this." Everyone leaned in as Zane whipped out a magazine. "So you know how we were talking about our 'other job' after prom?" The guys nodded. "Well, here's proof we aren't crazy." Some of them were having a hard time actually believing that we were models. It wasn't that they didn't trust us, it was just hard to picture Zane and I as 'hott' and model material.
"Let's see!" Luke swiped the mag from Zane and looked at first at the front cover. It was Azrael and Abbadon posing and the lettering next to them said 'Saying good-bye to the Hottest models at Toxin Magazine.' The guys flipped through most of the mag, just to look at what was in store for them when the issue actually came out. Each new issue comes out on the 5th of each month and the models get them usually a week before it's published. Finally they came to the last two pages. The pages were a collage of the four years we'd modeled at the magazine. There was one main picture on each page and then smaller ones around it. The main picture on the left was of Azrael and Abbadon dressed in steampunk; the last picture we ever took at the magazine as our aliases. The main picture on the right was Zane and I dressed for prom mirroring the poses of the other picture. Looking at the two pages together, it was pretty cool looking. It was liking looking into a mirror of alternate realities. It was actually my first time looking at the magazine, so I was surprised at how the magazine did it.
"Woah. You two really were Azrael and Abbadon." Marco looked at us wide eyed.
"Yeah, sorry about keeping it from you." I gave an apologetic smile.
"No worried." He smiled back. "It's just surprising. I never would have pictured you two as models and Son as Azrael. Man you're flat."
"MARCO!" I yelped with a laugh and dope slapped him.
"Hey!" He cried and then started laughing.
"I like this picture the best I think." Luke commented and everyone looked. It was the last page and it was simple. The background was a soft blue (no background inserted), Gothic lettering spelled out FAREWELL, and it was the very last picture Zane and I ever took. The one where we were holding hands and curtsying/ bowing. I smiled sadly at the picture, I was going to miss it even though I had no desire to return.
"It is a really pretty picture guys." Micky said looking at the both of us.
"Thanks." We said in unison. We talked a little more, with Zane putting the magazine away, before we were told we had to start getting ready. With a sigh I went to change into the school uniform. At our school, they wanted us to wear our uniform under our graduation gowns. Since Zane didn't go to our school, he wore a white shirt, red tie, and black pants.
"Miss Bronte, you're actually wearing the school uniform!" My first period teacher gasped.
"I guess I did." I replied. I borrowed one of Kat's school skirts since it was graduation and I thought I'd actually wear it today.
"I'm so proud." My teacher gushed.
"Thanks." I slinked away as fast as I could.
"Wow Son, you're actually wearing the skirt." Marco grinned.
"Yeah, shocker." I laughed.
"Please, put on your caps and gowns and head upstairs for a group photo." Mrs. Rex our principal shouted over the noise of the students.
I ripped open the plastic that held my gown and cap captive and slipped on the red material. *Great it doesn't even look like I'm wearing my skirt.* The gown went to about mid calf, while my skirt was about two inches above my knee. I placed three bobby pins in my mouth and secured my cap to my head. "How does it look?" I asked my brother.
He looked at me from all angles and replied, "Good. Me?"
I straightened his cap and then replied, "You're good." I placed my two cords, one for community service and one for National Honors Society, around my shoulders and regrouped with my friends.
"Ready?" Luke asked.
"Ready!" We all said at once and we headed up to the photo. It took about twenty minutes to arrange 84 students by height and then about 5 minutes to take half a dozen photos.
"Please go back down into the hall and we will start preparations momentarily." Mrs. Rex announced and then headed to the back to talk to the ushers. Everyone wandered back downstairs to wait for graduation to begin.
~30 minutes later~
"Okay, please follow me." Alphabetically, we followed the principal to the back of the church and waited for the trumpet player to begin. First, the teachers and administration walked down the aisle and veered off to either the left or the right. Once down, the students went down in a single file line at a slow walking pace. A-L were on the left (when facing the alter) and M-Z were on the right.
After everyone walked, we sang the National Anthem and the priest of the parish said a prayer. Everyone sat as the principal came up to give her address. She talked about how far we've come and how it was only the beginning of an exciting future. As she talked, my foot moved anxiously with nervousness and excitement. Zane took my and hand smiled kindly at me. I grinned back and then listened on to what she had to say.
An eternity later, but not really probably about 5 minutes, the principal introduced our Salutatorian Mara Sheen. She was given a medal for being the second highest GPA in the class and then she took the podium. Her speech was long, but interesting. Talking about memories from freshman year, all the way to the memories we shared at prom. A walk down memory lane made me realize just how far I'd come since freshman year and how so many things changed, yet so many things didn't. She ended with how it was nice to have the memories and how they'll always connect us, but we must not be stuck in the past but instead use them to step forward and embrace our future. Everyone clapped and whistled as she stepped off and headed back to her seat.
Next, Mrs. Rex introduced our Valedictorian Brent Day. His speech was more humorous and got a lot of laughs out of us. He touch a bit on the past, but he gave an inspiring speech about how bright our future was going to be. He didn't hesitate to say that the future held some darkness, but he also talked about how the future was going to be filled with lots of laughs and good times so not to give up even when something seems hopeless. As he put it, the important word in the sentence was 'seems.' After finishing with something silly, he thanked everyone and left for his seat. The church filled with clapping and whistling at how awesome his speech was.
The Dean of Students approached the podium and began to speak. "At this point in the evening, we are going to present the graduating class with their diploma. We ask that no clapping, whistling, shouting, moving or flash photography occur at this point in time. We have a professional photographer to capture each graduate receiving their diploma. At the end, when all students have received their diploma we will all congratulate them at once. Thank you for your cooperation during these special moments." He got a head nod from the principal to begin. He nodded to the first row to stand and get ready to receive their diplomas. "Nikolas Duke Aberon." Nik took a breath and went up. Three people were called before me and I anxiously waited to be called. I prayed I didn't trip when I went up.
"Sonya Redwing Bronte." I took in a deep breath and slowly let it out as I walked up the stairs. Mrs. Rex smiled as she handed me my diploma and shook my hand. I turned for the picture and smiled proudly. I whispered a thank you and walked down the stairs and back to my seat.
As I was walking down the stairs Zane was called. "Zane Redwing Bronte." Zane grinned the whole way up and smiled widely for the picture. I grinned just as hard as he walked down towards me. I looked back at my friends who gave us a thumbs up. You couldn't believe how giddy with happiness I was. Once my row was down, we sat down and waited for the rest of the class to be called. There were a few people who clapped, but for the most part everyone followed directions and waited for everyone to receive their diploma. After the last person was called, the church erupted with cheers and the air filled with excitement. You could feel the air crackle with energy.
Brent stood up and walked over to the podium and everyone quieted down. "As tradition we will now, as a class, flip our tassels." He took a hold of his and we mimicked him. He silently counted to three and we all flipped our tassels from the right side to the left. We briefly cheered before Mrs. Rex spoke again.
"Another tradition this school has is to present someone as an honorary graduate. This year we are presenting this diploma to someone very special. He dropped out of this school to fight for our country during World War II. He saved many lives, though he'd say he was just doing his patriotic and moral duty. He immediately went to work to provide for his family and was never able to receive his high school diploma. However, it is our honor to present Mr. Fredrick McCoy with this years Honorary Diploma making him the 85th graduate of this class." Everyone cheered as a cute old man, with the help of his daughter, walked up the stairs and receive the diploma; tears were in his eyes. It was very beautiful and I could see the pride in his eyes and his family's.
Next they announced awards and scholarships each student received from the school they would be attending. It was long and tedious since 82 out of 84 students were going to some kind of university or college. I was proud of my classmates, especially Zane and my friends, but it was long and I ended up spacing at some point. Finally, the priest stood up, gave one more prayer, and then we processed out of the church and into the court yard so pictures could be taken.
I met up Micky, Marco, and Luke before parents arrived. "So we've graduated!" I cheered and we ended up in a big group hug.
"I never thought this day would come." Zane smiled.
"I know, yet high school seemed to fly by." Marco added.
"I know what you mean. One minute we're freshies, next here we are." Luke said. We all went into ourselves to think over how fast the years flew by.
"Let's promise to always say friends." I finally said. I know it's a cliche line, but it means a lot to me to hear them promise. We were all going down different roads and some of us were going so far away that I was afraid that our friendships would fall apart. I didn't want to be out of sight, out of mind.
"Best of friends." Luke grinned and placed one hand in the middle.
"Close friends." Marco mimicked Luke.
"Writing friends." Micky added and placed his hand on Marco's.
"Talking friends." Zane gripped Micky's hand.
"Forever friends." I laughed at how silly, yet important our little promise was. As we all turned to see our family and friends, I thought to myself *I really hope we stay close best friends as we live our lives. You know what? I know we will.*
♠ ♠ ♠
Random facts that weren't able to make it into the story: The school's mascot is the phoenix. School colors are Red and Orange. It is a private Catholic school.

I'm kinda sad I wasn't able to bring Jayce really into the story. When I first began he was going to be a pretty big character, but events happened and things changed =/ Oh well, I hope you didn't forget about him

It's been fun writing this story and I hope ya'll have enjoyed it =) Cheers my readers. Thank you for commenting and reading. I have other stories, so if you're interested please read them and see if you like them and look forward to another story I'll be writing about pirates. Later!