Status: New chapter every week!

Mint Chocolate

11

Early Saturday afternoon, I lay with my stomach down with my arms folded in front of me acting like a pillow. The fresh, crisp grass was prickly against my tanning skin. I moved my face, adjusting where it lay across my arms and sniffed as a few soft blades of grass tickled my nose. I inhaled deeply, taking in the slightly flowery scented air and let the breath out, my shoulders relaxed as the sound of the happiest of families filled my ears.
My body was drowsy and not agreeing with what my brain was telling it to do. I had come home at 3.30 AM last night and was extremely tired because I hadn't gotten used staying awake at the time that I would normally be fast asleep. But because I had promised to take Maia shopping and out to the park today, here I was lying on the grass trying my best to stay awake whilst Leah and Maia went off to play with a barbie ball. And of course, I was not playing like I was meant to be.
I yawned and stretched out on the grass, turning to my stomach before something hit the side of my head causing my brows to furrow and a surprised groan escape my lips.

'What the fuck?!' I shouted sitting up rubbing the sore spot where the object hit, and watched Maia's little ball roll away from me.
'Language, missy!' Leah shouted before jogging over to pick up the ball and sit, Maia behind her small hand slipped into Leah's.
'Sorry...no, wait! You should be even more sorry, that hurt.' I pouted.

I yawned and stretched out on the grass, turning to my stomach before something hit the side of my head causing my brows to furrow and a surprised groan escape my lips.
'What the fuck?!' I shouted sitting up rubbing the sore spot where the object hit, and watched Maia's little ball roll away from me.
'Language, missy!' Leah shouted before jogging over to pick up the ball and sit, Maia behind her small hand slipped into Leah's.
'Sorry...no, wait! You should be even more sorry, that hurt.' I pouted.
'I am not sorry nor will I ever be, now let's go get ice cream I'm dying, it's so freakin' hot.' Leah fanned herself over exaggeratedly.
'Ugh, fine but I'm not getting any.' I lifted Maia of my lap and stood, stretching my rather long limbs in all directions.
'It's fine, I'll just eat yours.'
'I thought you were on a diet.'
Leah stopped in thought. 'Well, I was.'
I raised my eyebrows and motioned with my hand to continue as we both made our way to the parlour where I worked which wasn't far from here.
'I have to the conclusion that,' Leah raised her finger and looked up at the sky, taking very slow steps as if her foot was far too heavy to take faster strides. 'It is not my diet, it's my lack of exercise.' Her head nodded in assurance but it seemed as if she was assuring herself. 'I've joined the gym...and you're joining too.'
'HA.' I shook my head. 'That's a good one, as if I have I don't already have things to do, I need my break once in a while.'
It was absolutely not going to happen, it was enough exercise running from work place to home, to workplace plus, all the house work and other necessities and errands that needed to be done. I already had Leah's help with a lot of them.
'Ask to work less days at the parlour, you already work 5 days a week there plus you spent like, 40 hours at work in a day.'
'There's only 24 hours in a day.'
'That's not the point.'
We both fell silent for a minute and I watched as Maia's head was bent down in interest at her small feet, watching every step she took. She mumbled to herself.
'You don't spend enough time with her because you literally bury yourself in work.'
'You're acting as if I'm some top business woman who's always needed at the office or something. I'm not.'
'No, you're not. Therefore, you should be spending more time with your child.'
A nervous laugh escaped my lips. 'But I have no choice, how am I going to be able to raise a child when I'm needing money to spend on the child, to pay bills, to pay the rent, to buy food?'

At this moment, I felt as if no one was on my side not even Leah. She of all people should understand that I'm struggling here and that I'm trying to spend time with my daughter and I have no time whatsoever to be going to the gym.
Although, she was right. I hardly made enough time for Maia and had no time for myself.
Shortly after, Leah and Maia had ordered their ice creams and we were sat at a table, they both slurped their chocolate flavoured ice cream whilst I sat awkwardly looking around seeing groups of teenagers, couples, families.
My shoulders dropped, I was tired and rubbing the back of my neck thinking of ways to manage money and time. Slowly, I got up making my way silently to the counter, ready for a chat with Jan.

*
The night/early morning air was slightly cooler today and I was glad I had brought a cardigan with me. I was always complimented whenever I wore this cardigan as it was so fluffy and so cozy. I was always where it was from but I can honestly say that I have no clue, my mother bought it for me as a Christmas present during my teen years and it was still in tact as I'd taken such good car of it.
My shift at the bar had gone quickly today. I had left Maia at home with Leah as usual and I was dying to be at home with them despite them probably being asleep, in my nice waiting bed. It was alright, I still has another half hour to survive here.
The night wasn't as busy as it was on Friday's as there no dancing on Saturday's though Saturday's the day expected to be the busiest here.
I had chatted to the other girls as the bar slowly emptied.
Well, when saying I had chatted it was more like I stood there while the girls chatted.
Until Ronnie approached Annie.
She heaved herself up onto the bar top and swung her legs over so they were swinging on the other side.
Her dark her swooped from her shoulder and round her back. She wore a tight shirt hugging her curves. Her hands moved gracefully round his neck as he stood in between her legs, hands clasping around her thighs.
My heart was beating. Fast. Very fast. So fast that I thought it would explode in my chest and burst through the rib cage which protected my heart. What the hell was wrong with me?
My jaw clenched. Was it jealousy? Was I...jealous...of her?
I barely knew her, I couldn't be. Nor was I that type of person but it the way that he smiled down at her, eyes never leaving her own. His lips moving, the speech inaudible to my ears and how her shoulders shook and her head tilted back in laughter.
I missed being with someone. I hadn't realized it before.
I caught myself looking once again accidentally catching Ronnie's gleaming eyes.
He looked away briefly before blinking a few times, sympathy now filling his eyes.
I didn't need his sympathy. I felt fine, I was over Ronnie.
I was jus-
'Hey, Spirit.' Approached Jacky, looking a little too dopey to be sober.
I jumped a little as he knocked me out of my defensive thoughts as I argued with myself in my head.
'Hello.' I said laughing a little. I picked up a cup and the towel, drying the cup before putting it away. I then proceeded to do this to the rest of the washed glasses.
'What's up?' He asked, popping the 'p' sound.
'Nothing.' I shrugged. 'You?'
'Something is definitely up, babe.'
I cringed at the word babe. I hate that word.
He ignored my question, lifting himself up closer to me at the bar till his stomach was closer.
'I'm just...tired, I've been at work the whole week.' I wasn't lying.
He smiled at me, gazing at me. I smiled back quickly becoming uncomfortable under his stare.
I cleared my throat pretending to concentrate on drying the glasses. The cloth squeaked against the glass.
'I know your secret.'
I stopped...standing still before I put the glass down, to nervous the be looking up at Jacky's face. I discretely wiped my clammy palms on the cloth.
'What secret?' I said, my voice calm and barely loud enough to hear.
Jacky scooted closer. A low laugh rumble in his throat.