Status: New chapter every week!

Mint Chocolate

9

I blew onto my cup of coffee, warm in my hands and took a sip. I felt the strong black liquid make its way down my throat leaving a trail of bitter warmth. I don't know what I was thinking, having a coffee at the beginning of August. Okay, maybe the weather wasn't great a few days ago but most countries get their occasional summer storm. The glowing, peachy coloured clouds concealing the sun and the bright blue sky only served to ruin my plans of tanning but I must say, the heat was still unbearable.
It was like being trapped in an oven.
I sat up, putting my mug down on the floor and laid back onto the deck chair.
Maia, Leah and I were sprawled on deck chairs displayed on the decent sized terrace. The heat was the main culprit of our laziness right now. Maia sipped water through a straw out of her Minnie Mouse cup. She was dressed in a lilac vest top and shorts, her feet bare. She looked tiny comparison to the chair as she lie on her side, eyelids slowly dropping. Her hair was plastered in sweat round her small face. I smiled at the sight of an almost sleeping Maia even though I knew that if she slept now, she'd wake up half way through the night unable to sleep. (Although, Leah would have to deal with her, not me.)
I let out a sigh, feeling my own eyes beginning to feel slightly heavy but instead of doing all I could to keep me awake, I chose to laze around even though I knew I had work to go to in a few hours.
'I really...need to pee.'
I looked over at Leah, a puzzled look on my face as she lay in what looked like a rather uncomfortable position. She lay face down with her arms dangling off the side and her face turned in my direction. Her cheek was pressed against the wooden side of the chair causing her glasses to tilt and not sit on her nose but lift up slightly to one side.
I small, lazy laugh escaped my drying lips. I licked them only resulting in them drying out even more after.
'So, are you going to contact HIM?' She asked emphasizing the word him but not saying his name for some unknown reason.
I shifted uncomfortably in the chair bringing my legs up, I crossed my left leg over my right and it suddenly looked as if I was interested in watching my foot dangle.
'What if he doesn't want me to call?'
'That, my dear, would be like handing me a tub of ice cream and a spoon on a hot day...and then telling me not to eat it.'
She pulled her glasses off, they didn't seem to be doing much anyways - they certainly weren't protecting her eyes from the sun.
'But maybe he was just being polite.' I suggested. I wiped the sweat off my forehead, pulled my hair back and using the black band around wrist, I twisted my hair into a bun. I sat up turning my body to face Leah and putting me legs over the arm of the chair swinging them.
'Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. But if he did ask for your number after, he was expecting a message...or something.' Leah's mouth opened wide in a yawn, she stretched, her limbs reaching far and lay back down into the previous position.
I sighed. 'And when exactly was I meant to text him?'
Different messages I could've sent to him came into mind. What would he have replied if I sent him a simple 'Hello' or even a 'Hello, how are you?'. To be completely honest, I wish he would've asked for my number instead as he would either text me first or he wouldn't have text me at all although I was rather sensitive and would've probably been upset, asking myself what was wrong with me and why hadn't he text me. But there could've been a lot of answers to that...we did have quite a complicated past afterall.
It had been three days since he gave me his number and I wasn't sure what his reaction towards me if I saw him at the bar tonight because I hadn't text him.
He may not care, he may be hurt - though, I'm voting for the 'not caring side'.
Well, I was guessing he was going to be there...okay, no maybe if I had to rephrase that way in the depths of my mind where nobody can get to, I'd replace the word 'guessing' with hoping.
'Don't text him too late...because he'll be like,' and in her (terrible) interpretation of Ronnie's voice, she said ''The damn bitch didn't even reply!' But if it's too early, it's like,' And in his voice again 'AH MA GAD crazy stalker ex alert!'
Choosing not to respond using words to Leah's terrible acting, I simply nodded my head and pretending to bury myself deep in my thoughts. Not that what I was thinking was useful anyways, I was just simply wanting to put an outfit together without looking slutty or looking like I'm going skiing.
'Well, anyways. I'm gonna go get ready.'
Standing at the foot of the bed, I bent down to pick my phone which was resting on top of the clothes I had laid out neatly to wear later.
My fingers slowly pressed each letter with a small 'click'.
My heart was nervously pounding as my thumb approached the 'Send' button.
I had gotten to work a little earlier than usual incase there was anything to be done, plus I wanted to be there before Ronnie was so I could sort of...prepare myself.
Today, I made a little more effort than last week (sort of).
My hair was tied in a high ponytail, loose waves as I didn't bother straightening it because it would've taken too long. I wore dark denim, high waisted shorts, a white halter neck top and some simple flip flops which I seem to wear an awful lot. I'm not going to lie, I got a bit of my cleavage to attract little (or no) attention as my outfits are normally very simple, I hardly put much thought into them unless I'm going out which is rare.
I wasn't the most comfident person around. Showing my legs wasn't too bad as when it's hot, I'd walk around naked if I could. I was just afraid of being compared to others. To me, comparing a girl to others is the one of the top things most damaging to a girl's confidence.
Finally, I plucked up enough courage to pull out my phone to fine '1 New Msg'. I bit down on my lip unable to hold back a small smile at the words 'Finally, I'd almost lost hope. See you tonight, Ronnie :) x'
So, he was actually waiting for a text from me AND he was expecting to see me tonight.
With a bouncy little walk I made my way into the bar.
'Spirit, two tequilla shots and a beer!' I heard, unsure whose voice it was but after handing a scary looking lady her vodka on the rocks, I brought out 3 glasses, 1 for beer and the two for the shots. After filling the shots, I turned around, the two glasses in my hand not knowing what to do with the two shots. A woman around my age, shoulder length black hair and a hint of Asian blood shown by the way her eyes tilted up ever so softly, received the two shots from me with a warm smile and a quick thanks. She turned back around and I watched her for two minutes as she handed the tequila shots to whoever desired them, I heard the natural flirty sound in her voice as she expertly talked to customers in a cunning way. She even spoke to the peverted drunk ass man who attempted to touch her boobs several times in a way that I wouldn't even be able to. I would've most probably flipped and slapped him across the face for such an act. I would've also thrown in some foul mouthed comments. Jade (I think her name was??) simply shrugged him off and replied 'You paid for the beer, hunny. Not the tits.'
Jade wore a tight fitting black crop top which showed of her flat stomach and belly button piercing along with a frayed denim skirt and flower printed wedges. I wouldn't dare wear any sort of heeled shoe to work, I do not have the confidence, the time to be shopping for them or the balance to be able to walk in them without looking like a tranny with a wedgie on crack.
'Someone's puked all over the floor in the girl's bathroom, anyone seen the bleach?' Another girl, a decent looking platinum blonde stood to the right of the counter putting on pretty pink rubber gloves.
'Hello, you must be Spirit. We didn't get a chance to meet last week. I'm Amber and I have vomit to clean...hey, could you pass me that cloth down there?'
Amber pointed to an old piece of cloth placed in a bowl of what looked like soapy water.
I walked over to it. 'This one?' I said hovering over it. Amber nodded, I turned back to the cloth ringing the majority of the water. The warm water trickled down my hands and into the bucket, I carried the grey cloth, which was most probably white before, to Amber's waiting hands. She thanked me and went off to do her job.
I hadn't paid much attention the first time Josh had brought me here and had now realised that the three girls who I interpreted as fake and artificial were in fact extremely hard workers. I would've thought that a girl like Amber would've never picked up a cloth to clean up someone's puke without pulling a face. Jade, who seemed like she had been a bartender for years and Annie, who I was now watching as she made her way over with a tray of empty cups, she moved over and avoided obstacles in the way whilst balancing the glasses all the way over to the bar area.

'Four dry Martini's please!' She called over to Jade who was already bring out glasses. I took the stacked glasses on the tray from her.
'Are you sure you can carry that? We can go halves or I can take it if you want?'
'No, it's okay! You have 4 Martini's to serve...' Annie said just as she was leaving to bring the drinks to the customers.
I grabbed a tray and made my way out from behind the bar and to the closest table picking up empty glasses with a friendly greeting and a warm smile towards the chilled out customers.
I gathered a few glasses from the tables tops as well as having a few quick chats with the customers and introducing myself as those who come every week.
I also tried to hide that I was uncomfortable with a lot of guys staring at my chest.
Quickly, I went back to hand in the empty glasses and bring newer ones. Annie arrived just as I did.
'Great job!' She said in her super friendly quirky little voice. Today, she wore a bright pink flower in her hair contrasting against her dark locks which fell way past her shoulders brushing against her bronze skin.
'HEY, Annie! When's happy hour?' Shouted a deep man's voice.
Happy hour?
She looked at a diamond encrusted watch, 'Five minutes, Wayne!' She quickly handed Jade empty cups before shouting 'Girls, we got five minutes!'
'Five minutes? Five minutes for what?' I asked in utter confusion as I watched the girls reapplying lipstick and touching up on make up.
As the girls rushed past me, I spun around desperate for information but not receiving any as I went straight into someone's chest. I grunted softly at the impact of the collision and rubbed my forehead shortly after.
'Sorry, my fault...ouch.'
'Spirit, we meet again.' He smirked.
'Urmm...Zacky?'
'Close, Jacky.' He corrected me. 'Are you going to be up there tonight?' Something was odd about him.
'Up there doing what?' I asked, eager to find out what it was that I would've supposedly been doing.
'Dancing.'
Dancing? My eyebrows raised in realization.
That's why Kathy had asked me the other night.
'What?' I furrowed my eyebrows and went back behind the bar. Jacky followed, sitting on a stool opposite me looking slightly confused. 'I can't dance.' I shrugged.
The drums hit and Kid Rock's 'All Summer Long' played out of the speakers. Everyone seemed to gather round.
'Spirit, keep serving the drinks!' Amber shouted at me through the music as she hopped on to the counter top before Annie and Jade joined her.
A loud cheer emerged as the 3 scantily clad girls moved their hips in time to the music earning only the craziest reactions from men as the girls used beer hoses to fill up empty glasses and continuing to receive money from men.
'This...is happy hour.' Kathy appeared behind me making me jump slightly.
'Dancing girls and beer served by them half price gets you a lot more money than you think. That's why a lot of people - mostly men and urm...well, lesbians - are attracted to here.'
I folded my arms over my chest as I watched the mess of people wanting to get cheaper beer from the 'hot' almost naked girls.
They sensually yet playfully splashed the beer everywhere. Sure did seem a lot of fun.
I couldn't help but that think to myself that it looked more and more like a scene from Coyote Ugly...and could I do any of that?
No, I could not.
I don't dance. Dancer's the...well, dancer. Not me. I can't even shimmy without hurting anyone.
'So, do they have to dance for an hour?' I asked, curiously. Well, pretending I was curious and asking questions before deciding to send my up there and flaunt what I do not have and never will have.
'Not really, until the girls get tired after a few tracks so people tend to rush to buy all their drinks before the girls come off again. It's like this every Friday night.'
Kathy gestured to the excited crowd.
'Excuse me?' 'Can I have a glass?' 'Is anyone serving?' I heard and I quickly completed what people asked before going back to Kathy. Turning around, I accidentally knocked over a plastic bag on the side filled with garbage. I cursed under my breath and quickly bent down to pick up dirty tissues and wrappers before stuffing them back in the black bin bag.
'Sorry, Kathy. Would you mind taking over for 2 seconds while I take this out?' I said tying up the black bag and picking it up as well as the other one beside it.
Kathy nodded gratefully and respectfully, crossing her arms over her chest emphasizing her already huge boobs even more. It was too difficult not to take a peak. I mean, the things were literally staring at you in the face.
She gracefully walked past me and I made my way out to the back door.
I used my butt to open the door half expecting to be hit by cool air but instead was hit with same, warm heat from earlier.
I sighed as I made my way across the alleyway which had taken up a yellow hue and where the shadows lurked where the lamp post light didn't hit. The blasting music from the club was heard faintly and the air seemed slightly smoking due to whatever people were smoking.
The strong smells of puke, piss and weed filled my nose, I wrinkled.
'Oh-kay.' I whispered to myself, a little nervous to find a couple doing things they shouldn't and a group of older guys smoking.
I cleared my throat slightly, not expecting to attract attention but at the pit of my stomach, I could guess something was wrong. One of the guys from the group had turned around, a burly, skin headed man wearing an over sized black Queen t-shirt and chains around his neck narrowed his eyes at me.
He blew the smoke in my direction, the heavy smell of weed drifting over.
Extra saliva formed in my mouth, I swallowed.
He stood in front of me.
'Hello, there.'
I stood unfazed, unmoving.
He took 3 steps closer, pulling on his joint and flicking the rest over his shoulder.
I tried to take a discrete step back, only earning a laugh from him. He flashed a golden mouth.
'Where ya going, beautiful?' His heavy, red, lust-filled eyes tried their best to stay glued to me but he was so far that it was difficult for him.
The first thing that came into my head was Maia. If anything happened, what would become of her? How wo- My desperate thoughts were interrupted.
'Is everything alright here?' My shoulders dropped in relief at the familiar voice. Ronnie walked past the burly guy, nudging his shoulder slightly and standing in front of me protectively. As Ronnie turned to face him. I looked over Ronnie's shoulder as who seemed like the guys smiling with Mr. Burly earlier joined him, 4 scary looking men stood prepared for whatever was coming.
'I said, is everything alright here?' Ronnie's voice was raised higher, louder and more serious.
My arm involuntarily raised to rest on his arm. Ronnie's arm snaked round my waist pulling me in closer as he turned to his side.
I pressed against him, fitting perfectly. His body warmth on mine had increased the rate at which my heart beat.
'Yes, everything's fine, Ronnie. We were just talking, weren't we?' A cynical smile spread across his menacing face
I nodded.
'Good, then we shall be off if you don't mind, of course. Gentlemen.' He nodded his head once, out of politeness. We walked past the men, I held on to Ronnie's arm firmly, as we walked to the back entrance of the bar. Burly and his crew walked past us and took a left out of the alleyway.
'T-thank you.' I said, a blush creeping over my creamy cheeks hoping it was unnoticeable.
'No problem.' He smirked.
Our faces were incredibly close that I could distinguish his freckles. I looked down, unable to stare at him any longer, feeling self conscious beneath his stare.
'Is everything alright?'
Kathy held the door open with her foot, 'You seemed to be gone a while.' She looked suspiciously between Ronnie and I. My mouth opened, ready to explain but Ronnie beat me to it.
'She was having a little trouble with Rob, I helped her out a little.'
'Ah, thank you Ronnie. I'll take care of her for now but she also needs to care for anyone wanting drinks out there.' She pointed inside.
I jogged over to the door following Kathy inside.
'Aren't you coming in?' I asked him.
He thought for a moment. 'Not just yet.' He flashed one of his infamous smirk.
♠ ♠ ♠
THIS TOOK A WHILE :)