Status: Finished

Man Like Me

Reencounter

Penelope was wandering around Robert’s house at night with her father’s necklace in her hand as she ran her index finger over it repeatedly. She was unable to sleep because she felt a huge weight on her chest and she could not forgive her mom for the hateful words she had said.

“Penelope?” Robert’s hoarse voice called as Penelope went up a few stairs.

“I’m here.” She replied weakly as Robert called her up and waited until she was just a few steps away from him.

“Can’t you sleep?” He asked caressing her cheek softly.

Penelope shook her head as she shrugged her shoulders and Robert looked at her with worry. It was killing him to feel her so distant but he knew that she needed him, so for the first time in a long time he would have to be the stronger half.

In the meantime Penelope realized that he was standing only in his boxers and she stared at him for a moment, observing every inch of his torso and of his chest, staring at his beauty and manliness.

“Join me.” Robert said with a smile as he walked to his bed and sat down, leaning against the cupboard. Penelope walked in slowly and saw that his room was a mess, a total chaos.

“What were you doing?” She asked as she sat opposite from him.

“I have insomnia all the time.” He explained “So I was reading a bit when I heard you walking. I have a pretty good ear.” Robert smiled.

“Robert.” She said softly as he immediately looked into her eyes.

“Yes, Penelope?” He asked.

“I just want to thank you for being with me today and for standing up for me, again. I love you.” She said boldly, butterflies flying around in her stomach as she waited anxiously for a reply.

“I love you too.” Robert replied without a flinch or a blink. He didn’t question his feelings anymore. All his fear and doubt had vanished. “I’m serious Penelope. I haven’t loved anyone like I love you, for a long time.” He hardly ever opened up and having just confessed his feelings so lightly was a new move for him.

“I was also being honest.” Penelope said swallowing the lump in her throat. The expectation was killing her.

Robert looked deep into her eyes and crawled towards her. He kissing her sweetly as she kissed him back, intensifying the kiss. As they pulled apart, they both had a goofy smile.

“Do you want to be in a couple with me?” He asked, grinning from ear to ear.

“Any day of the week, handsome.” She grinned happily as he smirked and kissed her again.

After the unusual confession of feelings, Robert tossed the books aside and laid in bed with Penelope beside him. Robert began to feel sleepy but he wanted to make sure that Penelope fell asleep first. He kept tracing Penelope’s side with his fingers tenderly until she fell asleep with one of her arms locked tight around his waist. He smiled tenderly and fell asleep.

Robert woke up, feeling completely rested and as he looked at his side, he saw Penelope’s angelical face and his arm resting around her. He hadn’t slept that well for years, actually he couldn’t remember the last time he had slept for the whole night.

He still couldn’t believe that she was his, as much as, he was hers. They had decided to be quiet and discreet for the first months but he wasn’t sure if they could hold their excitement when they were together. It was something new for both but very real and heart-felt.

“Wake up sunshine.” He whispered against her ear, running his hand through her long hair as he kissed her temple lovingly.

“Good morning.” She mumbled as she opened her eyes lazily and gave him a light smile.

“How are you feeling?” Robert asked, his eyes roaming her face with attention as he noticed every small detail about her.

“I’m a bit better, thank you.”

“I know that this isn’t probably the best time, but we need to finish your story.” Robert said a bit unsure but worried because he didn’t want Penelope’s personal problems to affect her college grades.

He had his methods when he wrote but he wasn’t going to intervene in her writing. He would just give her ideas and suggestions of how to write something or to include a detail. Usually, when he wrote he wasn’t able to sleep at all and he would spend his nights in his office until he finished his story. His method was chaotic but his mind was chaotic and messy, as well.

“I know but can we eat first?” Penelope asked as she smiled at Robert, placing her fingers gently over his chest. Then she crawled up and kissed his lips.

He smiled into the kiss and placed his hand on the back of her neck, drawing her even more against him. She licked his bottom lip playfully and straddled him as he placed his hands on her thighs, getting a good hold of her.

“Aren’t you feisty in the morning?” He grinned as they broke apart from their kiss as she was towering over him with a devilish smirk.

“I am just… starving.” She whispered, biting his ear lobe carefully as he grinned and felt goose bumps grow all over his body. He never imagined that she could be dominant.

“Then, allow me to comply.” He said with a sexy tone as she furrowed her eyebrows. Suddenly he grasped her hips and flipped them around, so he was on top “Now this is better.” He said with immediate confidence.

Penelope found herself giggling but also flustering as Robert kissed up her stomach and then stopped when their faces were close.

“What do you want for breakfast, gorgeous?” Robert smirked as Penelope smiled and pulled him down for another kiss.

ONE MONTH LATER


Penelope stood nervously in front of an unfamiliar house. She was holding the necklace in her hand as she took a deep breath. Robert stood beside her, holding her other hand.

Robert was the reason why Penelope didn’t collapse. He made her days better, he made her better. They were perfectly balanced because she also kept him sane. Thanks to her, he was able to sleep at night and she had no idea of how important that was for him. Very few people knew about them, just their closest friends and they were taking baby steps in their relationship, but they were happy.

“I’m nervous.” She stated as Robert squeezed her hand.

“You’ll be fine. I’m sure that they’ll be amazing.” He smiled as she gave him a sideways smile.

Penelope grasped the necklace tighter and let go of Robert’s hand softly. “I’ll be waiting outside.” Robert said as he kissed her gently. Then she walked to the door and rang on the doorbell.

She tried to calm her nerves. Her heart was beating so fast that she was afraid that it would rip her chest apart. Suddenly she heard some commotion and she felt her air get stuck in her throat. The door flew open, revealing a tall and slim young man. He had a crazy hairstyle but his hair was black as so as his beard. He was wearing eyeliner around his eyes and his clothes were of a unique style as he combined several pieces. Penelope’s eyes immediately darted towards his accessories, like the rings he was wearing and his earring.

“Well hello there.” He greeted with a deep British accent making Penelope blink as she realized that he was smiling politely at her.

“Hi. I’m…” She paused as she looked back and upon seeing Robert’s reassuring smile, she felt courageous again “My name is Penelope. I’m here to see Zack and Adam.”

The man ran a hand over his face as a smile appeared on his features.

“I'm Zack.” He said starting to smile widely as he began laughing while he started moving around. “I cannot believe… Bloody brilliant! It’s you! You are really here!” He exclaimed as Penelope observed him and she found herself smiling. “Just let me embrace you for a moment.” Zack said as he stepped forward and hugged Penelope tightly and lovingly.

Penelope hugged him back as she heard Zack let out a sigh. Once they broke apart, he wiped his eyes discreetly.

“Dad is waiting for you… oh wait, is he with you?” Zack asked motioning for Robert as Penelope nodded with her head. “Hello! Don’t just stand there mate! Feel free to come in!” Zack said excitedly towards Robert as he took Penelope by the arm and guided her through the house.

Penelope was overwhelmed by everything that was happening, especially the mood of excitement and happiness that seemed to be in the air due to her arrival.

“Dad!” Zack called loudly as he stopped and Penelope stood behind him “Dad!” Zack called again.

“I’m coming!” Penelope’s eyes widened at the manly voice coming from the back of the house.
She closed her hands into fists as tears threatened to escape her eyes. She knew and recognized that voice.

“What is all this commotion about?” A man said as he appeared and immediately locked his eyes with Penelope’s. “Penny?” He asked in pure astonishment as Penelope kept giving him an incredulous look.

Zack went behind their father and slightly nudged him towards Penelope. Adam, who was as surprised and emotional as Penelope, didn’t hesitate as he took a few steps towards her.

“Can I--?” She cut him off as she began crying and grabbed onto him tightly.

“I’m so sorry… I’m so sorry for taking so long to find you...I’m sorry.” Penelope whispered in between gasps for air and sobs as Adam was crying silently but had a small smile on his lips.

“You don’t have to be sorry about anything at all, Penny.” He said. He hadn’t seen his little girl in about 20 years and he didn’t their reencounter to be sad.

After having dinner, Penelope and her dad were finally able to sit down to talk about everything that had happened while Zack and Robert talked with each other and Zack showed Robert his collection of movie merchandise and his musical instruments.

“I bet that your mother has told you a lot of things about me…” Adam said looking away from Penelope.

“I want to hear your story dad. I know mom’s story backwards but I never had a chance to hear or know you and I want to.” Penelope smiled as Adam smiled at her, a glint of hope shining in his eyes. He barely knew her but her attitude was making him feel extremely proud of her.

“Before you were born, I was a selfish and foolish teenager. I wanted to be a musician, inspire people and find the love of my life. Being a musician started out rough but, thanks to that, I met your mother on a bar.” He grinned as a little spark lit up his eyes “She was beautiful. Actually, you resemble her quite a lot.” He said as he glanced at Penelope and caressed her cheek lovingly.

“We started dating and finally I also got a chance to be in a band, as their guitarist. Things were moving smoothly, until your mother got pregnant with Zack and our parents forced us to get married. That’s when everything got bad.” He said as he stopped himself and Penelope scooted closer to him, eager to hear the rest of the story.

“Your mother became extremely unhappy because she had to drop college for Zack. Since we were living together, I had to get a real job but I refused to leave the band. As the band became successful, bad things started happening to us and I became an addict to drugs, mostly cocaine.” He explained. “Things in our marriage were bad and your mother became extremely bitter towards me. That’s when, she became pregnant with you. You were our last chance, our hope. We really thought that you would save our marriage and our family, you were like this type of glue that was going to bring us all together… What two fools.” He said as he stopped talking again as he shook his head.

Penelope quickly understood that her dad was a man that had suffered in enough in his life and that only made her love him even more. She regret so much having been away from him all of this time but surprisingly, their bond hadn’t been broken or grown weaker. It was like if time hadn’t passed.

“My addiction got worse and your mother suffered the consequences. One day she decided to leave, Zack refused to go with her but I couldn’t stop her from taking you. You were just a little baby, my little Princess and I knew that you needed your mother more than anything…” He trailed off as he began crying.

“After that, I realized that I couldn’t keep on with that life because Zack depended on me and because I needed to find you. I left the band and I’ve been clean ever since. I tried to make peace with your mother but she never let me get close… I’m so sorry Penny. I’m so sorry for never being around.” He said as Penelope was already sobbing as she looked up at him.

“That doesn’t matter now, dad. I love you unconditionally and, this might sound crazy but, I’ve always had this feeling that you were with me.” Penelope smiled as her father chuckled and kissed her forehead.

“I had no idea of what you would look or sound like but you’re still my little and precious Penny. The sweetness in your eyes hasn’t disappeared.” Adam said as he glanced at Penelope’s necklace. “You still have it…” He drifted off as she kept smiling.

“Of course. It always made me feel closer to you.” Penelope said as she placed her arm around her dad’s and leaned her head against his shoulder “I really, really missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too Penny.” Adam smiled as he hugged his daughter again. “So… is Robert your boyfriend, or something?” Adam whispered as Penelope nodded her head and he smiled. “He seems a bit older than you but that isn’t exactly bad. He seems nice.” Adam smiled as he looked back and saw Zack and Robert having a rather cheerful conversation. “Tell me more about him, then.” He encouraged as Penelope smiled brightly at him.

“You will take good care of my sister, right?” Zack asked, adopting a protective attitude over Penelope as they were saying their goodbyes.

“Technically, she’s taking good care of me.” Robert smiled as he placed his arm around Penelope’s waist and pulled her closer to him as she smiled and blushed a light shade of pink.

“But, will you take care of her, as well?” Zack insisted as Adam placed his hand on his son’s shoulder.

“Forgive him, he’s just too excited.” Adam smirked “I have a good feeling about you Robert and I think that Penelope is in good hands.” Adam smiled as he winked at Penelope who smiled sweetly at him.

“Thank you, Mr. Bailey.” Robert smiled widely as Adam stepped forward and shook his hand.

“Be good both of you.” Adam said as Penelope and Robert nodded their heads.

“I will call you soon, sis!” Zack said excitedly as Penelope hugged him.

“Anytime… bro.” She smiled as everyone began laughing. “See you soon.” Penelope said, waving as Robert opened the front door for they to leave.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
I'm sorry for taking so long to update but I took a few days to write this chapter properly, even still I hope you all like it. I know it's long but it contains a lot of info about Penelope's father and this chapter is basically the last one in which I focused more on Penelope. Expect some Robert focus soon :)
The characters page will be updated after I post the chapter.
As always, THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who comments. I really appreciate that you take your time to talk to me, it always makes my day to read your thoughts and opinions. Also, I appreciate all the Recs and Subscriptions! Feel free to talk to me anytime :)