Status: Finished

Man Like Me

Happy Birthday

“Dress fancy…” Penelope repeated as she stood before her space in Robert’s closet while nibbling on her lower lip.

Today was her birthday and Robert was taking her out but he was keeping everything close to his chest so she had no idea of where they were going. He had left early in the morning and had only left a note for Penelope to be ready at 7pm.

She had received phone calls and text messages from her family and friends wishing her a happy birthday, a good day and all those things but for some reason Penelope felt a bit disappointed. She knew that all of them were busy with their personal lives but a visit would have been nice.

‘At least I’m getting some romance, tonight.'


She shrugged her shoulders as she decided to post-pone her outfit decision for later and went down to sit on her swing. It had quickly became her favorite place in the whole house and she spend most of her free time there, just looking at the woods and hearing the chirping of the birds.

Suddenly she heard noises that resembled steps going along through the forest. She rose her eyebrows and stood up immediately when the steps seemed to be getting closer and closer. Suddenly she spotted Kyle walking slowly towards the house. Once he noticed her, he froze in his spot. She narrowed her eyes as he began to approach her again and she cleared her throat.

“Don’t come any closer.” She said loud enough for him to hear and he stopped on his tracks, just about 5 steps away from her “What do you want?”

“That’s a nice way to greet your best friend.” He replied with a smirk “It’s your birthday, that’s why I’m here.” He replied as she noticed that he was holding a scroll in his hand.

“We are not best friends anymore, in case you haven’t noticed.” Penelope said as Kyle glared at her slightly, realizing that this wasn’t going to be easy. “How did you find me?”

“I know but, nonetheless, I couldn’t just ignore your birthday.” Kyle said as he stretched his arm “I begged Claudia, don’t be mad at her and please accept this.”

Penelope took a deep breath and stretched her arm to take the scroll. As she released it, she saw an astonishing portrait of her. The colors, the details, the set itself made her sigh at how talented Kyle was.

“Wow… I always told you that Painting was your area,” She started.

“But Architecture is my dream.” Kyle completed, both of them smiling upon remembering the long hours they spent talking about his choice in career.

Penelope had always tried to convince him to be a painter but Kyle never wanted to take the risk and decided to study Architect to have a steadier job.

“That’s right.” Penelope nodded her head as she locked her eyes with his “Thanks, it’s beautiful.”

“You’re welcome. I was supposed to give it to you last year,” He laughed “But I was only happy about it last night.”

Penelope smiled weakly and fought her urge to walk up to him and hug him. She was still hurt by what he had said and she was surprised to be able to stand his presence.

“I should go inside.” Penelope stated as she saw the sadness overtake Kyle’s eyes. She waved at him and turned her back to head inside.

“Pen!” He called as she turned around “I didn’t mean what I said that day. I know that we might never be friends again but I want you to know that I’ll never have a friend like you.” Kyle said as had the courage to step closer to her.

The need to touch her, to hug her was overtaking him and he was confused with his own feelings. He was dating Cat but for some reason Penelope was always the girl he listened to and not having her around was different for him. He knew that he had been a bastard so he needed her to at least forgive him so he could really move on and let her be.

“Kyle, ” Penelope started as he stepped closer to her and she widened her eyes, her lips closing in a tight line.

“Wait, please,” He continued “I miss having a friend to talk to and I need to tell you that I’m dating Cat and I love her. I need to be honest about it and tell you that, yes, there was a time when I was madly in love with you.” Kyle confessed as Penelope’s breath got stuck in her throat.

“But I knew that you’d never love me back in the same way and that wasn’t your fault and it’s alright,” Kyle immediately added “because, I was the guy you chose to take your virginity. You’ll always be special to me, it doesn’t matter that you didn’t love me back like I loved you.”

Penelope was unable to speak. People had been telling her over the years that Kyle had at one point loved her but she never believed them. Now that he was admitting to having loved her once, she felt horrible at herself for never noticing and probably giving him hope without realizing.

“I just need to be honest and open about that but it’s over. I’m with Cat and you’re with this new guy. Claudia told me that he makes you happy and that’s enough for me. I don’t want to force you to be my best friend, I know it’s difficult after what I’ve just said but… can we just keep in touch?” Kyle asked as he stepped a bit closer to her.

Penelope nodded her head “Yeah, that sounds great.” She said as she smiled and he slowly wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tightly.

“You’ll be alright?”

“Yeah, I just need to digest all of this.” Penelope said truthfully as Kyle kissed her forehead and released her.

“I hope you have an awesome day.” He said with a wink as he waited for her to enter the house and then vanished.

Penelope closed the door behind her and let her back slide down as she sat on the floor slowly. She was breathing a bit heavily at all the revelations, she wasn’t expecting any of that but it felt good to have made a certain peace with Kyle.

Then she smiled as she looked at the portrait and realized that above all Kyle and her would always mean something to each other, even if now they only meant memories.

♦♦♦


“Penelope!” Robert called happily as he entered the house and waited for her to climb down the stairs.

He had changed his clothing at Jude’s house he adjusted his tie to look as handsome as possible. When he saw her climb down the stairs, his jaw dropped.

“Too much?” She asked as she blushed and prepared to climb up and change.

“No, no!” Robert said quickly as his hand grasped her arm “You look stunning.” He said as she smiled at him. “Happy birthday.” He grinned as he wrapped his arm around her waist and she chuckled before he kissed her passionately.

“Do we really need to go out?” Penelope asked as her leg brushed up his leg to tease him.

“Yes, we do.” Robert replied as he pulled away from her with a grin “There will be plenty of time for that.” He whispered into her ear as he kissed her one last time before dragging her quickly to his car.

Penelope was curious but Robert didn’t spill a detail or a word. As the car came to a halt outside of a fancy looking building, Penelope sighed.

“Please, don’t tell me that we are going to a fancy restaurant.” She complained as Robert opened the door for her and chuckled as he laced his hand with hers.

“It’s much better than that.” He said amusedly as they walked inside and Penelope felt uncomfortable in such an environment.

Everything looked extremely fancy and everyone’s eyes seemed to be on them.

“You may like this but I hate it.” Penelope mumbled.

“Yes, I am a diva and I need this to live.” Robert chuckled as Penelope chuckled back.

“Tony Stark mode?” She asked as they stopped in front of a door.

“Not at all. More like…” Robert started as he opened the door “SURPRISE MODE!” He yelled as lights turned on and all of Paty’s friends and family popped from different places while confetti fell from the ceiling.

Penelope smiled widely as Robert pulled her inside by her hand and stood by her side as everyone walked towards her to hug her, give her a happy birthday and gifts.

“You did all of this?” She asked in astonishment as she looked at the beautifully lit and decorate room and realized that the space was entirely for them to have dinner and dance.

“With Zack and Jude’s help.” Robert said as Zack and Jude stood by his side.

“Nonsense, it was all his idea.” Zack said as he patted Robert’s back “Claudia was the feminine perspective.” Zack grinned as he glanced at Claudia for a brief second, before excusing himself to go talk to her.

Penelope grinned as she kept smiling widely at all the familiar faces around her, she felt so loved and happy.

“You guys are amazing, thank you.” Penelope said as she hugged Jude and then kissed Robert’s lips softly, hugging him afterwards.

“Anything for you Apple.” He said as he squeezed her a bit against him making her chuckle.

After the meal, came the birthday cake which was another astounding thing. Penelope even felt a bit sorry to have to cut the piece of art but once she tasted it, she stopped being sorry. After that some people started to leave, like her mom but she didn’t take it wrong. It was already enough for her that the woman had done the effort to be there.

Suddenly, the room went silent as a dance floor was cleared and Penelope smiled happily. She loved dancing and she immediately started looking for Robert but her father stepped up to her and she furrowed her eyebrows.

“I never had a chance to dance with you before and I know that I’m not that guy,” He chuckled motioning for Robert as Penelope laughed imagining for a second that this would be something her father would say if she ever got married “But I’d love to have the first dance Penny.”

“Come on dad.” Penelope smiled as she took her father to the center of the dance floor.
Everyone soon joined them as what started as almost a slow song, turned later into something much more fun. As they danced and laughed, she ended up pairing with Robert.

“Hey, I wasn’t dancing with you.” She grinned as he smiled at her.

“You can’t help it, you’re meant to always come back to meet me. We are impossibly drawn into each other.” He smirked as she laughed and both of them stopped dancing as everyone else kept going on around them.

“Let’s go to a balcony or a window or something, I heard Zack comment that there’s a full moon tonight.” Penelope said as Robert nodded his head and took her hand to guide her.

Once they arrived at the small balcony, Penelope propped her elbows on the edge as Robert placed an arm around her waist while supporting his weight on his elbow, resting it beside hers.

“Wow, look at it.” Penelope commented as Robert glanced momentarily at the moon but then kept looking at her.

She looked so astoundingly beautiful and he was anxious to tell her what her gift was.

“Thanks for preparing all of this. This was my best birthday party ever and the best gift I’ve ever received.” Penelope said as she turned her head to look at him and he grinned.

“This was not your gift.” He said as he reached the inside of his pocket and took an envelope out and handed it to her. “Open it sweetie.”

Penelope smiled as she opened the envelope slowly and widened her eyes upon seeing two tickets to Paris.

“Paris?!” She asked out loud as Robert nodded his head and she hugged him tightly. “When?” She asked smiling as happily as ever.”

“We’re going for a week and we’re spending Christmas and New Year’s together there.” Robert explained as Penelope did a small happy dance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
First of all, thank you for your support and for your comments. I'd also like to show my love for my silent readers, just the fact that you read matters.
Thanks for subscribing and for the recs!
Penelope's look and Robert's look
Oh and here's a picture of the place they rented for the party and the cake