Status: Finished

Man Like Me

Departure

The remaining month until the last week before Christmas break flew by with Penelope focusing on college while Robert focused on writing. Their life together as a couple was going well and neither of them had a complaint.

“You’re already packing?” Robert chuckled as he stepped onto the bedroom and saw Penelope sitting on the floor with her suitcase open.

It was about 1AM and he had been writing like a lunatic. He looked and felt tired and he had expected to find her sleeping but the scenario was different.

“Not exactly, I’m just thinking about what I should take and how to organize it.” She said with a smile as Robert sat beside her.

“It’s supposed to be cold there.” He said as she nodded her head and leaned her head on his shoulder. “Last day of classes tomorrow.” He stated with a smug grin.

“Finally.” She said with relief making him laugh “Then Paris.” She said with an excited smile as
Robert kissed the top her head.

When he asked her professor to exclude her story from the competition, he felt terribly bad so he decided to give her something she would never forget. It turned out to be a trip to Paris with him and he was actually very proud of the idea because she was rather excited and happy about it.

“Let’s go to bed?” Robert whispered against her hair as Penelope nodded her head.

He stood up and helped her to her feet when suddenly he saw her stumble and wrapped his arm around her waist with a worried look.

“Are you alright Apple?” He asked as she took a deep breath.

“Just felt a bit dizzy.” She said as she smiled softly at him.

Robert furrowed his eyebrows but let the matter pass because he needed some sleep and he wasn’t in the mood to just pry over something that could happen once in a while.

They laid under the sheet and covers and he let her cuddle close. Once she was settled, she looked up and kissed him softly.

“Goodnight Robert.” She said with a smile as he smiled widely.

“Goodnight Penelope.”

Penelope smiled as she rested her head on Robert’s chest and heard his breathing slow down and a soft snore escaped his lips as he hold her tightly. She smiled at how quick he could fall asleep and she kissed his jaw before carefully slipping from his grip to go to the bathroom. She closed the door behind her and tried to think.

Her first time with Robert had been almost 2 months ago and they had had sex frequently since then. To make matters worse her period was late and she had begun to feel dizzy and sometimes sick at the smell of certain foods for the last couple of days.

"But it’s impossible.” She whispered, trying not to panic. “It can’t be.” She said as she stared at her flat stomach.

♦♦♦


‘Finally, I’m getting out of here.’ Penelope thought with a relieved smile as she saw Claudia waiting for her on the steps of her faculty.

“We’re free!” Claudia said as both of them burst into laughter and hugged. “Let’s go for some lunch, I’m starving.”

Penelope obliged her request and they headed downtown to a restaurant they both loved. When Penelope ordered a simple soup, Claudia’s eyebrows twisted.

“You’re not having your favorite chicken toast?” She asked finding it odd that Penelope wouldn’t ask for her favorite like she always did.

“I’m not really that hungry.” Penelope said with a soft smile as Claudia narrowed her eyes a bit.

“Is everything okay?” Claudia asked as her eyes locked with Penelope’s and she saw her friend’s smile drop.

“I’ve been feeling rather sick.” Penelope confessed. “Dizzy, some smells make me sick, my appetite has diminished quite a bit, I’m more sleepy and tired,” Penelope explained “The only food I crave are peaches.” She chuckled as Claudia laughed.

“Which is your favorite fruit.” Claudia pointed out and Penelope nodded.

As silence overtook Claudia, Penelope stopped smiling while her friend seemed to have a moment of bright acknowledge.

“Pen… remember that story you told me once about your middle name being Apple?” She asked as Penelope shrugged her shoulders.

“Yes, when my mom was pregnant with me she craved for apples a lot…” Penelope slowed down as she realized what Claudia was implying “And they were her favorite fruit.”

“Penelope… have you been using protection?” Claudia asked, shock starting to overcome them both.

“Yes but Claudia, you know that is isn’t possible.” Penelope said quickly as Claudia realized that they were going back to a part of Penelope’s past, a hurtful part.

When Penelope was just around 18, she went to a Gynecologist for the first time because it was around the time she lost her virginity. After a few appointments, she received horrible news. She had been born with a defect and, even though she had her period, her uterus hadn’t grown properly and wasn’t able to hold a baby. A surgery for such a defect was too expensive and, according to the doctor, risky so Penelope didn’t have it and to deal with the fact that she could never have children.

“Isn’t there the slightest possibility?” Claudia asked.

“No, the doctor said so himself.” Penelope said as she bit her bottom lip, the sadness over that fact overcoming her again as her eyes watered up.

“Does Robert know?”

“No and I don’t know how to tell him. He wants to be a father but we haven’t talked about children together… it’s too soon.” Penelope said as a tear slipped her eye.

Penelope loved Robert and she knew that he loved her back but she was afraid of Robert’s reaction to this fact. She knew that he wanted to be a father and she didn’t want to take it away from him, she didn’t want to stop him from fulfilling his dream just because she couldn’t bear in her womb a baby of her own. And she couldn’t lie to herself. Every time she saw a baby, she felt like crying because she would never know what it is like to have a being grow inside of her and now that she was with Robert it was even more painful to think about it because having children with him, didn’t sound that bad but it couldn’t happen.

“Let’s just forget about it,” Penelope said as she sniffled, wiping her tears “I have a wonderful trip coming up and I’m super happy about it, maybe I’m just nervous about flying or something.”

“Promise me that if the symptoms persist, you’ll go to the doctor when you get back.” Claudia said with visibly worry as Penelope bit on her bottom lip.

“Only if you go with me.” Penelope said as she looked at her lap and Claudia stretched her arm to touch Penelope’s hand.

“I promise.” Claudia said as Penelope looked up with a weak smile as her eyes sparkled with tears.

♦♦♦


“Bring me a French girl will you?” Zack said laughing as he hugged his sister for the tenth in the airport.

“But I thought that you fancied Claudia!” Penelope said pretending to be shocked.

“Don’t get me wrong. Claudia is bloody pretty and a nice lass but a French lass might be interesting.” Zack grinned as Penelope shook her head.

“Fine, I’ll see what I can do.” She grinned as they laughed and turned to see Robert talking to their father. “Any idea of what’s going on there?” Penelope said as Zack and her became serious.

“No idea…” He drifted when suddenly the two men burst into laughter, both Zack and Penelope breathing with relief.

“Are you ready?” Robert asked as he grabbed Penelope’s hand once she was close enough to him.

“More than ready.” Penelope excitedly as her brother and father chuckled at her.

“Have a safe trip Penny.” Her father said as he reached to her and kissed her cheek lovingly.

“I’ll see before New Year’s dad.” Penelope assured as her father brightened up.

“You don’t let any French man touch her, you hear me?” Zack said towards Robert, unable to fight back his urge to say it.

Penelope burst into laughter as Robert kept his composure and nodded.

“I will Zack.” Robert said as Penelope squeezed his hand.

“Well, we need go to.” Penelope said as her brother frowned.

“One more hug?” He asked with a pout, almost resembling a small child.

Penelope smiled widely as she wrapped her arms around his tall frame and promised to call around Christmas. Zack accepted the terms and watched Penelope leave hand in hand with Robert while he and his father waved at them. For some reason, he had a bad feeling about their trip.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
So, was anyone expecting to know that about Penelope? How do you think Robert will react when she tells him?
Next chapter will be about Robert and Penelope in Paris eheh and I'm planning to only dedicate a chapter to Paris but this might change, it depends on the ideas I have.
Thank you so much for your lovely comments <3 Also a big thank to my silent readers. Thank you for subscribing and for the recs!