Status: Finished

Man Like Me

New Year's Eve

“I’m going for a run.” Robert announced as Penelope groaned and pushed the sheets closer to her body. “Last offer.” He said with a small pout as he approached her side of the bed and smiled.

“Not today handsome.” Penelope said as she felt her stomach growl. She had an immense will to puke but she was holding it in while Robert was close.

“Alright, I won’t be away for long.” Robert said as he kissed her forehead.

After Penelope heard the door of the entrance close, she sprinted towards the bathroom and kneeled close to the toilet to puke. She gagged as all the contents from yesterday’s dinner came out and when she finally looked up to try to breathe in fresh air, she groaned.

‘Period is late for almost a month now...’ She thought as she threw her head back, cold sweat filling her face ‘Now vomiting. No. No.’ she thought persistently as she stood up slowly and brushed her teeth to take the horrible taste from her mouth.

As she stared at her reflection on the mirror, she moved so she was standing on her side and lifted Robert’s t-shirt up. Her stomach was still pretty flat and normal looking but that wasn’t proof enough. Her eyes darted towards her cellphone on the nightstand. She knew that she had to call Claudia.

♦♦♦


“You haven’t been to a doctor, yet?” Claudia asked in astonishment.

“No...” Penelope said as she stractched her arm uncomfortably.

“No test either?” Claudia asked.

Penelope shook her head. She knew that she was being irresponsible, she knew that running from the situation would fix it or make it magically disappear, the problem was that she wasn’t ready to face it all. It had been painful enough to know that could she not have children and now to know that probably she could be pregnant was wonderful but she knew that she wouldn’t have a normal pregnancy and that scared her.

“Let’s go.” Claudia sighed as she dragged Penelope behind her and they went into a pharmacy. They bought four different types of pregnancy tests and headed for Claudia’s house.

“Claudia...” Penelope started but Claudia didn’t stand down.

“Enough avoiding this.” Claudia said with her mind made up. “Penelope, you need to know.”

Penelope sighed and closed the door of the bedroom beside her. Butterflies flew around in her stomach as she felt her eyes watering up and she her bottom lip before opening the first test.

♦♦♦


“Hey guys!” Robert greeted happily as Jude, Zack and Claudia appeared and he welcomed them.

It was New Year’s night and they had all agreed to meet at the beach before midnight to celebrate the New Year together.

“Claudia.” Robert called as the blonde girl and him gave a few steps away from Jude and Zack “Have you seen Penelope?” Robert asked.

In the past few days Penelope had been attacking strangely. She had avoided him at all costs and spent most of her time either playing the piano or reading on her swing. There was nothing wrong with those activities but Robert was beginning to grow worried because he didn’t know where she was.

“She’s arriving. She just went to her dad’s house to convince him to come.” Claudia rested Robert and smiled widely at him.

Robert was confused at what was the reason for her to be smiling so happily, but it was all probably due to Zack. It was obvious that they were on a good way to a relationship. Robert thanked her and joined Jude’s side.

“Why so nervous mate?” Jude asked with his typical English accent.

“Penelope isn’t here.” Robert groaned as he noticed that several other groups of friends had had the same idea and were slowly filling the beach.

“You’re all fidgety because she’s a bit late? Relax Downey.” Jude said with a chuckle as he patted his friend’s back when suddenly Robert heard a familiar voice and turned his head around to see Penelope coming towards him alone.

“On thank God.” He muttered as he turned on his heels and began walking towards her.

Her hair was up in a careful bun and she was carrying her heels as she walked through the sand. She waved at him with a smile which encouraged him to speed up towards her.

“What’s wrong?” Penelope asked as Robert embraced her, making her gasp at how tightly he was holding her.

“I’ve been having a bad feeling for the last couple of days.” Robert explained as his heart began pounding on his chest.

“10!”
They heard everyone on the beach shout in unison.

“Whatever I did, I’m sorry. I know I’m pretty hard to-“

“9!”


“Live with but I can change, just please tell me what’s upsetting you.” Robert said as his eyes locked with Penelope’s and she sighed with a soft smile.

“8!”


“How can you assume that you did something wrong?” Penelope asked as she placed her hands on the sides of his face.

“7!”


“You did nothing wrong Robert,-“

“6!”


“You are perfect to me. I’m the one who’s sorry for being so away during these past few days.”

“5!”


“Don’t say that, I know I’m a walking disaster.” Robert said with a smile as Penelope grinned at him.

“4!”


“We’re both two disasters who turn out to be pretty good together.” Penelope said as she stroked his cheek.

“3!”


“Just tell me what’s happening.” Robert pleaded.

“2!”


“I’m pregnant.” Penelope said as she watched Robert’s jaw drop while his eyes filled with tears.

“1!”


Suddenly she was pulled tightly against him as he kissed her passionately.

“HAPPY NEW YEAR!”


“I love you so much Penelope. I’ll take good care of you, I promise. I’ll take good care of this baby, I swear.” Robert said as he glanced briefly at her stomach “I’ll be the best father I can be.” Robert said quickly as a tear streamed down his features and Penelope wiped it with her thumb gently.

“I love you Robert.” She said clearly as he smiled.

“You just made me the happiest man on this beach. I love you.”

♦♦♦


‘It smells like sausages, scrambled eggs, bacon and toasts' Penelope realized as she thought that maybe she was having cravings but once she stepped into the kitchen she saw Robert occupied with cooking and smiled.

“Happy new year!” She greeted happily as Robert jumped slightly and ran to meet her but stopped himself.

“Can I spin you around?” He asked cautiously as Penelope nodded her head.

“But gently.” She said as he smiled and wrapped his arms around her, spinning her around slowly, planting a deep kiss on her forehead.

“Happy new year Penelope. Happy new year little baby.” Robert said as he stared into her stomach and felt like drooling.

Nothing was noticeable yet but he could imagine it so well in his head that it was adorable and it made him dribble. After Penelope fell asleep last night, Robert spent the entire night pecking her forehead while rubbing her stomach gently under the fabric. His dream was finally becoming true and having Penelope as the mother of his child was the cherry on top of the cake.

“It smells really good.” Penelope commented as Robert released her and walked to the stove to turn it off. He served their plates as Penelope sat in her usual seat of the kitchen table.

“Behold, Downey super breakfast extraordinaire!” Robert said excitedly as Penelope’s jaw dropped.

Aside from the sausages, scrambled eggs, bacon and toasts, there were also strawberries and peaches, donuts and teddy bear candy. All Penelope and Robert’s favourites.

“Wow...” Penelope said as Robert sat proud of himself. “Thank you honey.” She thanked with a huge smile as he melted at how she looked at him.

“Christ...”He muttered “You’re glowing.” He commented as she took a bite from a peach and blushed.

“Robert...” She started as he smiled.

“I know, maybe I’m overreacting but I’m just so happy.” He said as he moved his chair closer to hers and took her hand in his, squeezing it softly.

“Do you know where I’ve been for the last couple of days?” Penelope asked as Robert nodded his head “I have been trying to find a doctor’s appointment.” Penelope explained, knowing that Robert was wondering about it.

“I’ll go with you.” He said promptly “Doesn’t matter when it is.” Robert said, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze which helped her nerves.

“Robert... there’s something I need to tell you.” Penelope said as a weight took over her heart.

“What is it?” Robert asked.

“A few years ago, when I went to a Gynaecologist for the first time, I was told that, even though I have my period, my uterus hadn’t developed properly to hold a child. They immediately told me that I was infertile so conceiving was impossible.” Penelope explained slowly as Robert’s brows furrowed.

“But you’re pregnant babe.” Robert said and Penelope was as shocked as him.

“I know and I thought that it would be impossible. Apparently some sort of miracle happened and I have to say that I’m scared.” Penelope confessed as Robert pulled her gently into his lap.

“Why scared? This is wonderful.” Robert said with a smile.

“I know and believe me, I’m happy but I really need to see a doctor. The appointment is next Monday and I don’t know what to expect.”

“I don’t blame you for being nervous but whatever it is, we’ll face it together.” Robert sighed as he pulled her closer to him and shut his eyes for a moment, praying that their happiness could last.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello lovelies!
Today I am a proud mama! It's 'Man Like Me's anniversary! 5 months old, can you believe? I'm so happy and it's all because of you. You've kept me going, you've supported me and I'm extremely thankful. Thanks to you all, a small idea turned into a fan-fiction with much more than I ever hoped and I ended up falling in love with Robert and Penelope together. That is priceless. Thank you all.
It is with a bit of a sad smile that I announce that this story is almost reaching it's end. I'm not sure how many chapters left but it's going to be soon.
Once again, thank you to every single one of you for your comments, for reading, for subscribing and for the recs!
<3