Status: Active! But I Need Comments!

Caving In

Lights Out

When I got back to the house, the living room light was dimmed lowly, the rest of the house left in the pitch black. I threw my keys onto the table by the door, “Matt?” I called out into the silent house. When there was no reply I started to worry. Checking out the front room’s window, I noted Matt’s escalade hadn’t moved an inch since I’d left after dinner. “Mason?” Again, no answer. “What the hell is going on?” I questioned myself quietly, walking further into the living room. I squinted through the dim lighting, noticing a large yellow item on the coffee table. I grabbed it, realizing it was nothing but a simple flashlight, though a note was taped onto the side of it. I quickly flipped on the light, not being able to read without it.

Albany,
It’s time for an adventure. Follow the red ribbon up the stairs. Make sure you stop and read our timeline as you go.
Love,
Matt

I shook my head, smiling, pointing the flashlight toward the staircase. Sure enough, a velvety red ribbon wound its way up the banister, slips of paper tied along the way carefully. I caressed the first note suspiciously, a timeline? I opened the paper slowly, reading it out loud to myself.

September 1988 – Your first day at Huntington Beach Elementary. I pushed you down on the playground. You got right back up and hugged me. I’ll never understand why.

I giggled recalling my first day at a new school, in a new city, in a new state. Matt picked on me relentlessly, making fun of my name, pushing me around on the playground and even pulling on my pig tails in the lunch room. My mother being the hippie that she was told me that everybody needed a good hug once in a while, so that was what I did. I hugged the crap outta that little 7 year old boy.

I untied the note, folding it cautiously before placing it into my back pocket and moving onto the next one.

June 1994 – I taught you how to swim in the ocean. I nearly drowned, but you saved me.

September 1995 – I started high school and was too cool to hang out with you anymore, or so everyone thought. We spent every night in your backyard that year. People didn’t like our ages, but to hell with them.

October 1997 – You finally became my girl.

May 1997 – We spent the night under the stars.

I flushed, remembering our first night together.

January 1998 – You became our one and only merch girl. I loved you seeing you every night in the crowd.

July 1998 – Lindsay, Brian, you and me escaped. We spent my birthday in a sleezy motel because I am just that romantic. You never complained.

April 1999 – Prom ;-)

August 2000 – We spent the week in the mountains at Brian’s family cabin. Mason was more than likely conceived on the Haner’s futon.

I laughed loudly, knowing as I reached the top of the stairs that Matt could hear me, wherever he was hiding. Mason’s bedroom light quickly turned on, illuminating the dark hallway. I resisted the urge to skip the rest of the notes and kept reading.

October 2000– I made the biggest mistake of my life.

May 11th, 2001 – You gave birth to our beautiful son. I don’t think I’ve every thanked you for blessing me with the little boy I’m head over heels for so…Thank you.

I looked up from the note, realizing Mason’s door stood wide open. He giggled quietly on the floor, his action figures and building blocks spread out on the floor beside him. “Keep going Momma!”

I giggled, unfolding the next note.

December 2001 – I spent my first Christmas without you in twelve years.

Suddenly I didn’t feel like laughing anymore as I felt the tiny pin pricks as my eyes began to water slightly. I took a deep breath, trying to calm down as I willed myself forward.

May 2007 – You let me back in. I met my son. I realized how I much I’ve missed you. I couldn’t get you out of my mind for days.

July 2007 – I had the best birthday

September 2007 – You’ve given me yet another miracle and I can’t wait to meet him or her. You continue to surprise me every day. Well now it’s my turn.

Mason closed his door, the light cut off. I turned the flashlight back on letting my hand guide me with the red ribbon on the wall. The ribbon slipped through the closed bedroom door, I hesitantly pushed it open, curious to faint flickering lights that slipped underneath the door. Matt grinned widely as I slipped into the room. The red ribbon that had been guiding me through the darkness ended in Matt’s hand as he stood at the foot of the bed, one last note tucked away in his palm as the candle light danced across his features. “Mattie, what is all this?” I questioned softly, crossing the distance between us quickly. He shook his head, placing a finger up to his thin lips. He handed me the note silently, nodding for me to open it. I took a deep breath, my fingers shaky.

September 20th, 2007, today – You make me the happiest man on the earth.

Confused, I looked up from the sheet of paper slowly, my heart stopping.

“Albany June Young,” Matt whispered softly, down on one knee. “I love you so much, it’s, it’s insane,” he stuttered slightly, chuckling. He grabbed my hand. “I know we did things a little backwards baby but I want this, no,” he sighed. “I need this. Will you marry me, Allie?”

“Oh god,” I panicked, my heart beating wildly in my chest. Was he crazy? “Mattie, I-” I stammered, unable to complete an actual sentence. “Are you joking?”

Matt’s smiled faltered, “What? No, of course not. Baby,” he sighed, standing up to tower over me as usual. “Marry me,” he demanded tenderly as he cupped my cheeks with his warm hands. “Marry me.”

“Mattie,” I sobbed quietly, as I pulled away. This was all too much. “We can’t.”

“Why not?” he murmured.

I looked away from the hazel eyes that would someday be the death of me, trying to calm my breathing again. “We just got back together; people are going say horrible things, Mattie.”

“Fuck those people,” he pulled me close. “Baby, this relationship is between you and me. People want to talk shit about my family; they can say it to my face. Don’t let those jackasses get in the way of you being happy Allie, I can make you happy,” he kissed my head, mumbling into my hair. “Al, listen to me,” he took a step back, capturing my face in his hands again as he brushed away the salty tears. “We have known each other all of our lives. We are not strangers who just met, you know me better than anyone on the face of this earth. And I know you,” he kissed away at my cheeks before pulling away again. Marry me so I can give you, Mason and this baby,” he placed his hand gently on the slight curve of my belly. “Everything I should have seven years ago.”

I shook my head again, “Don’t you do that, Matt. Don’t you marry me just because I’m pregnant. Don’t do that to me.”

“Are you even listening to what I am telling you, Albany?” he asked with a chuckle. “I want to marry you because I love you, I never stopped. I love you, and Mason and this baby,” he sighed. “You might think I’m crazy, but I think this baby was meant to happen. It wasn’t an accident. Maybe, it wasn’t planned and it was definitely unexpected but it’s happening and I’m going to take care of you. I’m going to prove to everybody that I can be a good father, a good husband. Please, let me do this.”

I had heard those words before, at the door of my apartment as I was pushing him out. I hadn’t believed in him then, but I did now. “Okay.”

“Okay?” he questioned, he brows pulling together in confusion.

“Let’s get married, Mattie,” I smiled.

Matt howled in happiness, wrapping his strong arms around my body as he pressed a passionate kiss to my lips, “Dear god, woman. I thought you were gonna turn me down.”

I shook my head, pressing my forehead to his, “I couldn’t tell you no.”

Matt grinned, kissing me again before he pulled away suddenly, “Shit, I almost forgot,” he dug around in his back pocket quickly, falling down to one knee again. “Say it again,” he pleaded softly, grabbing my hand.

I smiled, “Yes, Matthew Charles Sanders. I will marry you.”

Slipping the beautiful gold band onto my finger, Matt hugged me tightly, kissing my neck. Mason knocked softly on the door, peaking his little head into the room, “C’mere buddy,” Matt chuckled, picking Mason up quickly. “Your momma said yes,” Matt whispered into the little boy’s ear.

Mason’s eyes widened, “You did?” I nodded, showing him the ring as proof. The gold band caught the flickering light of a candle, the diamonds reflecting and glistening in the dark. Mason wrapped his arms around my neck, hugging me while still in his dad’s arms. “We’re gonna be a real family, Momma.”

I nodded, feeling the tears prick in my eyes again, “Yes baby,” I agreed. “A real family.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Cotton Candy fest lol:) Been meaning to ask, what do you think Allie is going to have? A boy or a girl? Names?