Status: Active! But I Need Comments!

Caving In

Telling Mason

“Let me see that gorgeous ring again,” Kim smiled widely the next day.

I laughed, putting down the lunch meat I had been preparing for the boys’ lunch. The second Matt told his mother the news that morning; she practically begged that the three of us come ‘home’ immediately. I’d be lying if I told you I hadn’t felt like I was a kid again, getting caught out past my curfew and preparing myself for the lecture that was certain to come. She had all but run from the front door when we pulled into the drive, heaving us into a bone crushing hug. It was evident that she had been waiting for this day for a long time. “It hasn’t changed since the last time you looked at it,” I reminded her playfully, drying my hands off before offering up my left one again.

“He picked this out all by himself?” she questioned, casting a glance over her shoulder to make sure Matt couldn’t hear her. Ten feet away, Matt was preoccupied in the pool, helping Mason onto a boogie board.

I nodded, turning back to the sandwiches, “Yes, Ma’am.”

She grinned, standing next to me at the counter so she could slice fresh lemons, “And he took you completely by surprise?”

“Yep, I came home from Lindsay’s and he had it all set up.”

“Wow,” she chuckled. “Sounds like the old Matt. He used to concoct these crazy ideas for you. I haven’t seen him this happy since he was in high school.”

“Hey Kim?” I asked softly, my stomach churning slightly as I thought back to last night.

“Yes, dear?”

“You don’t think we’re moving too quickly? Getting married and all?”

“Oh god no,” she laughed. “You two have known each other all your lives; it was only a matter of time.”

“But we just got back together,” I reminded her.

“And everyone that matters is happy for you,” she chuckled, finishing the lemonade. “If someone has a problem with you two being together after all the hell you went through, you come tell me. Suzy and I will take care of ‘em.”

I giggled remembering the crazy duo. Suzy Haner and Kimberlyann Sanders might as well have been as close as their sons. “Thank you,” I said quietly. I might not have been blessed with the best mother on the planet, but it was because she kicked me out that I learned family doesn’t end with blood.

“Are you girls finished in there yet?” Gary called through the opened back door.

Kim rolled her eyes before picking up the pitcher of lemonade and five glasses, “Impatient old man,” she muttered quietly. Casting a look over her shoulder as she made her way to the door, Kim smiled, “See what you have to look forward to Allie?”

I nodded, grinning; I couldn’t wait.

After lunch the boys quickly got back into the pool, cooling off from the warm sun, while Kim and I sat around the pool. “Have you told Mace yet?” Kim asked quietly as we watched Mason grab onto Matt’s shoulders, giggling loudly.

I shook my head, watching them from underneath my sunglasses. “We are sort of pushing it off I guess,” I sighed, running a hand through my hair. “We don’t want to overwhelm him what with him going to school full time now, the engagement and everything. It’s a lot to take in itself without adding a baby in.”

“Well, I hope you do it soon. He is going to be pretty curious as to why there is a basketball under your shirt.”

“Hey,” Matt called, splashing cool water onto my legs, his hazel eyes sparkling as the sun bounced off the water and illuminated the gold flecks surrounded by hazel. “Are you getting in or what?”

“Might as well,” I exhaled loudly, standing up to discard the t-shirt I’d been using to cover myself up with. “I better enjoy this beach body while I’ve still got it.”

Matt wiggled his eyebrows suggestively as I climbed down the latter and into the water. He quickly wrapped me up into his arms, pulling me closer. “You know what I can’t wait for?” he questioned quietly in my ear as he rested his chin on my shoulder.

“Hmm, what’s that?” I giggled, wrapping my arms around his neck as I watched Mason and his grandfather. To give us a little privacy, Gary had tugged Mason over to the diving board, convincing the little boy that if he jumped, Gary would be there to catch him.

“I can’t wait to come home from the studio and see you making dinner in one of my shirts, barefoot at the counter with a big ole belly,” Matt grinned into my neck, kissing the flesh gently.

I groaned playfully, “Why does everyone keep talking about me getting fat again?”

“Because I did not take advantage of it the first round,” Matt said softly, his fingers brushing over the small curve of my lower stomach. Almost ten weeks pregnant and I was already showing.

I kissed the tip of his nose before pulling away from him slightly, “Did you say the studio?”

“Yeah, why?”

“I thought you guys were going on tour at the end of September,” I explained.

Matt shrugged his shoulders, the water rippling, “A lot of things have changed since that day at the airport, Allie.”

“But you love to tour,” I argued.

“And I love being here with my family.”

I shook my head quickly, “What about your fans? They’ll be so disappointed.”

Matt sighed, squeezing me to his chest, “I have the best fans in the world, Albany. They want me to be happy and right now the thing that’s going to make me the happiest is being here with you, Mason and this baby. And as a bonus, we’re getting studio time which means the fans will be rewarded for their patience with me. We’ll tour again when I can bring the three of you with me.”

“Why are you so good to us?” I murmured, pressing my forehead to his.

“Because you’ve always been amazing to me.”

Soon after, Matt hugged his mother goodbye while I helped Mason with his seatbelt. Shutting the car door for me, Kim smiled, “Remember what I told you, Al.”

I nodded, pulling her into a hug as Matt started the escalade. “I won’t. Thank you, Kim. I don’t know where I would be without you.”

She smiled again, patting my cheek humorously, “I’ll talk to the both of you later.”

As we pulled out of the driveway, Matt grabbed my hand, kissing the knuckles, “What was mom talking about?”

I sighed, looking over my shoulder at Mason. He sang quietly to himself, starring out the window at the passing beach dwellers. I turned the radio up louder, just to be certain. “She wants us to tell Mason about the baby before he thinks something is wrong with me.”

Matt nodded silently, “He asked me this morning why you’ve been getting sick so often.”

“How do you think we should tell him?” I questioned softly.

Matt shrugged, lost in thought.

“Maybe we should get him a puppy,” I whispered, casting a glance over my shoulder again.

Matt laughed, shaking his head, “No way, Allie. Can you imagine how crazy the house would be; two dogs, a puppy, a kindergartener and an infant?”

I giggled thinking about the madness, “You’re absolutely right.”

“I know,” Matt agreed with a grin. “I vote we just tell him. If we don’t make a big deal out of it, maybe he won’t either.”

“You’re incredible, Matt,” I smiled, squeezing his hand.

Matt exhaled loudly, nodding, “It’s a curse.”

“We’re home!” Mason shouted from the backseat as Matt turned into our driveway. Shutting off the monstrous truck, Matt hopped down to help Mason while I went to unlock the front door.

“Did you have fun at grandma and grandpa’s? Matt asked Mason as he carried him into the house, running a hand through his son’s blonde hair. Mason giggled in response, nodding his head as Matt set him on the kitchen island. “Good, I’m glad,” Matt smiled, kissing Mason’s head.

“Hey Mace,” I said quietly, admiring his shining eyes. He was so happy. “Daddy and I have a surprise for you.”

“You do?” he questioned excitedly, clapping his hands.

Matt grabbed my hand again, giving it a reassuring squeeze as he took over the conversation. “Yes. Mason, how do you feel about becoming a big brother?”

Mason looked confused, “A big brother?”

Matt nodded, smiling widely, “That’s right Bubba, your mom’s going to have another baby. A little brother or sister,” Matt said as wrapped his arms around me, watching Mason carefully.

Mason looked down; suddenly quiet as he played with his fingers in his lap. “Daddy, can you please help me down?” he asked softly.

Matt looked over at me quickly, unsure, “Uh yeah, sure thing buddy,” Matt mumbled, lifting the little boy easily off the counter top before placing him down on the wood flooring. Mason left the kitchen hastily, his small footsteps echoing up the stairs. Matt turned to me, “What did I say wrong?”

I shrugged helplessly, leading him out of the kitchen. “Mason, baby?” I called up the stairs. When he didn’t reply, I panicked, jogging up the stairs with Matt hot on my heels. “Mace?” I called again, pushing his bedroom door open.

Mason ignored us as we stepped into his newly designed room. We watched in both shock and horror as he walked back and forth between his bed and dresser, placing neatly folded shirts into his tiny backpack. “Mason, what in God’s name are you doing?” Matt questioned, crossing the room to pick up the child’s backpack, reaching inside to pull out an article of clothing. Matt’s eyes widened in panic.

Mason shrugged his little shoulders, pushing his dresser drawer shut, his bright eyes sad. “I was just packing.”

I took a seat next to Matt on Mason’s bed, pulling the little boy over to me. “Why are you packing your things sweetie?”

“You guys are having a new baby,” he sniffled. “You won’t need me anymore.”

“Oh God, Mace,” I sighed, hugging him tightly to my chest. “We will always need you, Bubba, this baby won’t change that.”

Matt nodded beside me, taking a hold of Mason’s hand, “Mason Charles, I never want you to feel like your mother and I are replacing you. We love you so much.”

Mason nodded against my chest, “I love you too.”

“You’ll always be my little boy Mason,” I reminded him softly, “You’ll always be my Mason. This baby will only make our little perfect family, that much better. Okay?”

Mason pulled away slightly, “Am I going to be a good big brother, Momma?”

I smiled, “You’re going to be the best.”

Matt used his thumb to softly brush away a tear on Mason’s heated cheek, “Don’t worry about a thing Mace.”

Mason nodded again, smiling a little as he placed a hand on my stomach, “I’m going to be a big brother.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry for the long wait. School has been kicking my ass. Finals, college visits, etc. Will update as soon as possible!