Status: Active! But I Need Comments!

Caving In

Knight and Super Hero

“Mason! I’m here, let’s go home kiddo,” I called, walking into the warm home.

Kim smiled widely as she left the kitchen, meeting me by the front door, “He is out back. How was work?”

I groaned, reaching back and unleashing my thick hair from the ponytail it’d been trapped in all day, “Long and boring… The usual,” I grinned, stepping forward and placing a kiss on her cheek. “I’m gonna go out back and get him.”

Kim’s smile faltered for a second before she forced the smile back on her red painted lips. “Okay, dear.”

It’d been two days since Matt’s little blowup at Mason’s birthday party and I still wasn’t sure if I’d recovered fully yet. My face flushed when I thought about what happened, not out of embarrassment but out of anger. He had absolutely no right at all reacting the way he did when Tyler was brought up. Ty was simply a friend, a friend who lived a thousand miles away. I hadn’t seen Matt react the way he had since we were in high school. He was the jealous type, becoming downright outraged whenever a guy got ‘too close’. It had been a nightmare but it was at the same time flattering. As if any of the boys my own age had the affect Matt had upon me. I’d had have been crazy to ever leave him for one of those acne covered jock straps. The aftermath of that being that I got knocked up by a wanna-be-rockstar.

“Mace, baby le-,” I stopped midsentence, gawking at the little boy in front of me. He was not alone of course. No, why should I have expected that?

Matt looked up instantly, his hazel eyes brightening, “Allie, you’re home early,” he grinned, standing up to reach his usual 6’2. Mason giggled, standing up too and leaving the deck of cards on the ground to be forgotten. “Mace and I were just playing some Blackjack.”

I gasped, “You taught my son to gamble?!”

“No,” Matt said calmly, his eyes teasing though. “I taught our son, how to gamble.”

“What a great role model you are,” I rolled my eyes, stepping forward and reaching for Mason’s hand. “Come on baby, we need to get home.”

“But Mommy, I want to stay and play with Daddy,” Mason whined. I gaped at my son. Mason never whined! He always did what he was asked, instilled early on that his manners were mandatory.

I glared up at Matt, already hating that smug smirk that graced his lips. “Fine, but just for a little bit longer. Then we need to go home and start supper,” I gave in tiredly, unable to deny the cute little puppy dog eyes Mason got from his father.

Mason smiled widely, showing the dimples I loved so much as he turned toward Matt, “Daddy, I want to play super heroes,” Mason announced, tugging on Matt’s hand.

Matt chuckled, watching me as I took a seat on one of the pool chairs, pulling out a book and settling in. “Sure thing Buddy. How do we play?” He knelt down to Mason’s eye level and laughed as the little boy squealed in excitement.

“Well, first, I need to get on your back,” Mason commanded grinning widely at his father.

“My back?” Matt questioned, watching as Mason nodded happily. “Okay, then what?”

“You run around and make noises like you’re flying!” Mason giggled, climbing onto Matt’s back and holding on tightly around his neck. My eyes strayed from the pages of my book as I watched the duo. I don’t think I have ever seen Mason so happy. He giggled and shrieked loudly as Matt ran and jumped around the yard, reminding me of the days in high school when we would sneak out and play James Bond in Central Park. “Now we have to save the Princess, Daddy!” Mason yelled, laughing loudly.

“What Princess?” Matt asked, smiling up at the little boy on his back.

“Momma!” Mason shouted, pointing at me from across the pool. Matt ran his way around the water, stopping at my feet, breathing heavily. “Princess, we are here to save you!”

“Oh thank you brave knight,” I chuckled, watching as Matt let Mason down before he collapsed into the pool chair next to me. “Uh oh, looks like your Super Hero is down for the count, Mace.”
Mason looked nervously at Matt before smiling, “It’s okay, Daddy, I’ll go get your Mommy! She’ll make you feel better, just like mine!” he reassured Matt before taking off into the house.

Matt chuckled into the plastic straps of the chair, turning onto his back. He looked exhausted as I smirked at him, “So, how’s parenting?”

Matt turned his head to me, smiling, “It’s fantastic. I don’t think I’ve had work out like that in years. Well not since-,”

“We played James Bond?” I finished for him, smirking again.

He nodded his head, grinning. “He’s a good kid, Allie. You’ve done an amazing job,” he whispered, suddenly becoming serious as his eyes trained forward and his face hardened.

“I’ve had a lot of help, from your parents, from Lindsay,” I said softly, closing my book and holding it to my chest.

“Yeah, everyone but me, his father,” he whispered.

“Any fool can be a father Matt, but it takes a real man to be a Daddy,” I murmured, repeating the same words my mother once told me after my father abandoned us.

Matt looked up from his hands, a smile tugging up on one side of his lips. We stared at each other for only a few seconds before Mason ran outside screaming, “Daddy, Mommy! Come here! Hurry! Come quick!”

Instinctively, I jumped to my feet at the screams, “What is it, Mace?” I asked concerned.

Mason smiled widely, “Grandma made me cookies!”

I sighed in relief, rolling my eyes at the little boy before pulling him into my stomach, squeezing tightly. “Mason, you scared me to death, baby.”

Mason pulled away, looking up at me. “I’m sorry, Momma,” he apologized. I smiled at him reassuringly, running a hand through his spiky blonde hair. He pushed my hand away softly, sitting down on the chair next to Matt. “Are you okay now, Daddy?”

“I’m fine, Buddy, just tired,” Matt replied tenderly, reaching forward and grabbing Mason’s little hand, playing with his tiny fingers.

I sighed, taking a mental picture to lock away. “Alright Bubba, we better head home and start dinner.”

“Awe, do we have to?” Mason pouted, cuddling into Matt’s side. Matt watched as Mason curled himself into his side, a ghost of a smile creeping on his thin lips. Oh those lips.

“Yes baby, maybe you can play with Daddy tomorrow,” I insisted, shaking away that thought quickly as I picked my work bag up off the ground.

“Alright,” Mason sighed dramatically, crawling off the chair. “Bye Daddy,” he said quietly, following me through the grass.

“Hey wait,” Matt called, climbing off the chair and rushing towards us. “You don’t have to leave so early, it’s only five, Albany.”

I had to bite back my smile. Matt wanted to spend more time with Mason! “Unfortunately, we do,” I murmured. “We have to get dinner on the table before ten o’clock.”

“Fine, come eat with me. We can grab something to eat and then maybe hang out for little bit? I know this great place that I really want to show Mason,” Matt suggested, his bright hazel eyes pleading with me.

“Oh please, Momma! I’ll be good, I promise!” Mason begged from my hip where he held on tightly.

Two pair of puppy dog eyes tortured me, breaking down every wall I had built. “Alright, alright,” I exhaled loudly, rolling my eyes as I pretended to be upset.

“Yes!” Mason shouted, jumping into Matt’s arms awaiting arms. Oh those arms.

Matt smiled widely down at me, “That’s my girl.”
♠ ♠ ♠
For those of you commenting, i love you all dearly, without you guys i don't think this story would be this far (Yes i know its only the 7th chapter but usually i cant get passed the one shots!)

DONT BE SILENT READERS PLEASE! Every comment means a lot to me and keeps me going!