Status: HIATUS AND MAJOR REWRITING

Voices Carry

CHAPTER THREE

Louis walked aimlessly through downtown, his mind racing with so many things. Not only was Harry getting to him, but his head was throbbing. He knew he should have taken his medication, but what was the point? There is no point. Louis sighed as he sat down on a bench, taking his phone out.

He had 18 missed calls and voicemails from Harry and about eighty-five texts; all of which said the same exact thing. Harry was upset with him and Louis couldn’t blame him. He had practically screamed at Harry and then stormed out without another word.

But in every message that Harry left when he told Louis he was worried, Louis’ stomach would do major flips. It made him a little bit happy that Harry cared that much. But it also made him feel just as bad that he cared that much. If Harry knew what he was truly hiding, he would be angry. No, he would be more than angry; he would be furious. Louis wasn’t sure if Harry would forgive him for keeping this from him. But it was for the best. Nobody needed to know.

Louis moved onto the next voicemail, this time from someone other than Harry. His heart raced as he listened closely.

“Mr. Tomlinson, this is Doctor Tucker. You missed your appointment today. Actually, you’ve missed your last five appointments. Is everything alright? Please contact me soon. We need to talk about getting this surgery,”

Louis’ fingers quickly hit ‘7’ on his phone. “Your message has been deleted.” He sighed and put his phone back in his pocket, dropping his head into his hands right after.

“Excuse me?” Louis looked up and met the eyes of a little girl, no older than six. Louis smiled at her, his mood instantly changing. “Are you Louis Tomlinson from One Direction?”

Louis laughed. She was absolutely adorable. “I am. What can I do for you, babe?” He got off the bench and knelt down to her level.

“I just wanted to say that I loved your band very much,” She leaned over and hugged Louis. “Please never stop being One Direction,”

Louis felt a pang in his heart. Of course the band hadn’t planned on stopping anytime soon. They were still in the ‘early’ phase of the band. But Louis wasn’t sure if he could sincerely promise her that he would never stop being in One Direction. Because Louis wasn’t sure if he could promise the band or even himself that he would never stop.

“One Direction will always be a part of us,” That was the best Louis could promise. It was true. No matter what happened, the boys had One Direction to be proud of. No matter where they ended up, it would always be something that came along with them.

Image

Louis parted ways with the little girl and headed into a local pub. His mind was even more conflicted now.

“The usual,” Louis waved a hand at the bar tender, sitting in his usual spot in the corner of the pub. He tapped his fingers on the table, trying his best to resist the urge to pull his phone out and call Harry back.

“Something on your mind today, sugar?” An older woman sat Louis’ drink on the table.

“Just one of those days you really need a drink,” He shook his head and took a long sip of it.

“I hear ya. How’s that boy of yours?” She was referring to Harry.

“I told you before; he’s not ‘my boy’. Anyways, we’re fighting.” Louis sighed. “I’m really screwing this whole thing up.”

“What’s going on?”

“I haven’t told him about…Well, you know…” He gave her that look and she instantly knew what he was talking about.

“Sugar, you need to tell that boy both things.”

“But I…I can’t. He’s going to hate me…” Louis could feel the emotions rising fast.

“Whether or not he’ll be angry with you, you still need to tell that boy. He deserves to know about it.” She ruffled Louis’ hair a bit before returning back to the bar.

She was right and Louis knew it. He had to tell Harry.

As if he was a mind reader, Harry called again. Louis hesitated for the longest time before giving in.

“What do you want?” It came out harsher than Louis intended.

“Please come home…we need to talk.” Harry’s voice made Louis alarmed.

“Is everything okay?” He got up from the table, placing a few bucks on it before heading out the door.

“Just…come home…” The line went dead, leaving Louis a bit confused. What was wrong?

Image

Louis walked slowly through the door, shutting it as quietly as he could. It wasn’t quiet enough though, because Harry was quickly in the same room.

“Louis!” Harry wrapped his arms around him, letting his head rest on Louis’ chest. “Where did you go?! Why didn’t you answer your phone?!” Harry was practically hyperventilating, which worried Louis.

“Hey, hey…” Louis pulled away and placed his hands on Harry’s face. “Calm down, okay?”

“Don’t tell me to calm down! I was fucking worried about you!” Harry screamed at him, tears filling his eyes. “Do you ever care that you were driving me crazy with worry all day?!”

“I know, I know…I’m sorry…” Louis sighed. Harry took one of Louis’ hands off of his face and held it tightly.

“We need to talk. Now.” Harry’s eyes pleaded for Louis to actually listen to him.

“Why don’t we eat something first?” Louis walked past him and into the kitchen, grabbing a few menus off the fridge. “How about Italian?”

“I’m not fucking hungry, Lou!”

“Actually, I kind of want Chinese. Is Chinese okay with you?” Louis opened the menu, trying to decide on something to eat.

“Will you just listen to me for a second, Louis?!” Harry grabbed the menu from his hand and tossed it behind him. “Just stop for a fucking second!”

“What do you want from me?!” Louis glared at him, walking out of the kitchen and back into the living room. Of course Harry followed. “What the hell do you want to talk about?!”

“I want to talk about what you’re hiding from me!”

“I’m not hiding anything from you!” Louis tried to walk around Harry, but he wouldn’t let him pass. “Are you really reverting back to a five year old?”

“JUST STOP!” Harry cried. “Stop lying to me! Stop avoiding me! Just tell me what’s going on, Louis!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about! Please! Just stop talking nonsense!” Louis pleaded for Harry to stop trying to pry into his life.

Harry wouldn’t stop though. He would just keep pushing and pushing. He pulled the bottle of pills from his pocket and threw them right at Louis.

“Then what the fuck is this?!” He pulled out another bottle, shoving it in Louis’ face. “What are these pills for, Louis?!”

Louis’ expression dropped as he gripped the bottle of pills in his hand.

“You snooped through my stuff…”

“I had to! You wouldn’t tell me what was going on!” Harry sighed. “Louis…what are these pills for? What’s going on? Please…”

“I’ve…been lying to you, Harry…” Louis dropped his head and the bottle of pills. “I’ve been lying to you for a long time…”

“About what?” Harry could barely get the words out.

“A lot of things. My headaches…they’re not just a coincidence…” Louis’ eyes filled with tears as he looked back up at Harry.

“What’s wrong, Louis…” Harry felt his heart starting to break.

“Harry…” Louis sighed. “I…I’m dying…” He choked out the words, waiting for Harry’s reaction.

“W-What?” Harry breathed out, his face full of shock, horror and confusion.

Louis struggled to find the right words to say. Here he was…telling his best friend and the love of his life that he was dying. How was this right? How was any of this right? Louis didn’t want to have this conversation ever. He planned on disappearing when the time came and letting everyone think he just abandoned it all and wanted a different life.

Louis met Harry’s eyes, which read so many different emotions. Harry gave him that look as if he was saying ‘Please tell me what you’re talking about’. But Louis wasn’t sure if he could. Could he really tell Harry, Harry of all people, that he was going to die and there was nothing he could do?

“I have a brain tumor…” Louis cried out. “And it’s cancerous…”

Harry didn’t say anything as he just stared at Louis, his eyes almost bulging out of his head.

“I’m dying, Harry…” Louis sighed, trying to wipe his eyes as much as he could. “And I don’t have much time left…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Short chapter, sorry. I promise I'll make them longer next time I write. Alright, so if you haven't noticed each chapter kind of switches between Louis and Harry. And that's how it's going to be throughout the story pretty much. Anyways, so you've found out the big secret. Don't kill me! lol My friends are already yelling at me. But I do hope you enjoyed the chapter and continue to enjoy the story! I'm enjoying writing it! Please leave me comments, subscribe and hit recommend! :)