Until the End

3

(Third person’s POV)

“Clear!” the doctor said one last time before hearing the bip on the monitor “We got him back, he’s safe now!” a gasp full of relief came out of his mouth.

(Emma’s POV)

My face was resting on my hands. tiredness was really attacking me and I was struggling to stay awake. I reluctantly looked at the clock on my wrist, which marked 10 p.m. I didn't have dinner yet and probably Elli was already at home. But I couldn't get out of there. Not until I hear some news about his condition. My hands were still shaking as I remembered how he had fainted. Never in my life I was so afraid to see someone die, it was scared as shit. He was so helpless, lying there, even after being a jerk to me I couldn't left him there.

“Miss?” I felt someone grab me by the shoulder and shake me. Only then I noticed that I had already fallen asleep. “Are you here with Mr. Haner?”

“Yeah…” I said little afraid of the answer. I turned to look at who was talking to me and
I stumbled upon a doctor with a mask on the chin and a bit of blood on the green smock. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the blood ... Oh my God, he didn't make it!

"We've been all this time trying to reanimate your friend ..." I laughed nervously due what he said "And after a few tries, we managed to bring him back. He was a real fighter. Now he is resting, and under intensive medical care, but if you want, you can go and see him.”

I relaxed my shoulders and leaned against the hard plastic chair. He was alright. More than alright, he was alive. Then I let out a sigh full of tension. Did I want to see him? A new dilemma came to my head. Does he want to see me after what happened on the beach? Not that he knows me, he doesn't even know my name, but the way we talked to each other hadn't been the best.

“Woman up, Emma! He’s just a moron who was unlucky and you were there to help! Go there already and see how he is.”

"Where is his room?" I said to the doctor who was still waiting for my answer.

"Come with me, I will show you the way!"

As we walked through the bare halls, I was trying to build a reason to start a conversation with him. But what do you say to person who just passed out? I was really clueless.

Luckily he was sleeping, so I didn't have to worry on how to start the talk. I just sat in the comfortable chair that stood beside his bed. His face was turned to me and I could see its huge bags stand out from his face. He seemed really tired. His hair was a really mess, but still, he seemed relaxed and really, really beautiful. Stop your thoughts right there Emma

I got lost in his face and when I realized I was already sleeping. I only noticed that as I felt my head that once was leaning against the chair, was now in an uncomfortable position. I grunted in displeasure while I got back in a more comfortable spot and felt a tap on my shoulder.

“Hey!” I heard a low voice whispering. I reluctantly opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was some green eyes and a smile full of dimples.

“Who are you?” I said as I moved away so I could see his face and not only his dimples.

“I could say the same… what the fuck are you doing in my friend’s room?”

“I’m here waiting for him to wake up. And you are…?”

“Oh you’re the one they said would be here.”
He drag the chair that was on the other side of the room and sat next to me. “I’m Matt. Now spit it out. What happened?”

“Calm your hormones, I’ll say it if you just wait”
I said as I sat straight on the chair “I was on the beach, trying to take some pictures, just to relax after working all day long. I was trying to find the right moment to shoot, when I saw him, upon a rock, with his arms outstretched. Believe me, it was one of the most beautiful images I had the privilege of shooting at." A smile formed on my face as I remembered that mesmerizing image. His body wrapped by the light coming from the sunset, almost making him shine for himself, was an overwhelming picture that insists on staying in my head for too long. “Then, all of a sudden, he jumps off that fucking rock and scares the hell outta me.”

I felt him straighten in his chair once realized what really happened. "He didn't do it on purpose." his voice was a whisper "H-he... just couldn't ..." his eyes traveled to his hands that rested on his lap and stared at them for a few seconds, just enough time to leave me with a sinking heart and a knot in my stomach.

"I don't think so..." I said comforting him. He was very tense, and the concern was noticeable in every move he made.

“He has just been so fucked up with all that happened. Thank you for being there for him. Really!”

“About that ... I don't think I was such a big help, since I couldn't move when the paramedics got there ... I think I panicked!"

“You called 911 and stood there with him… and you’re here with him. I couldn’t thank you enough!”

“That’s ok.”
I said with a sad smile. “You don’t need to…”

An awkward silence gripped the room and he instantly cut it off.

“What’s your name?” He said to me, making me brush a little.

“I’m Emma, it’s nice to meet you, not the best place, but still…”

“Yeah, I know… do you wanna go home? You probably didn’t have dinner yet. I’ll stay here with him”
My stomach growled, only accentuating what he had just said, but my head moved in a negative sign. I wanted to stay here until he wakes up.

“Ok, we’ll make each other company then…”

We stayed there all night long, talking about everything. The twinkle in his eyes when he spoke about his friends was contagious and I found myself laughing at what he was saying. He told me everything. Who they are, what happened with his friend, the troubled times they’re passing. Off course I didn’t tell him I already knew them, it would be so awkward! I ended up falling asleep when the first rays of sun came through the window across the room, hoping that Brian wouldn't wake up so early so I could get some rest.

(Brian’s POV)

My body was aching down to the smallest bone and I felted really heavy. My eyes hurt from the shining light that came from the window. I awoke in a strange room. What the fuck happened? The last thing I remembered was being in the beach talking to that unknown girl, releasing anger through all my pores. Now I was in a hospital room with a tube attached to my arm and a beeping behind me. Someone was sleeping on my arm, and it felted torpid. I shacked it so she could wake up.

”Hey, What the fuck?” she said in a grunt. “Oh, you’ve waked up!” she was that girl from the beach. “Are you feeling ok now?”

“”Yeah…” I said trying to understand what I was doing there.

“You don’t remember anything, right?”

“I remember you and the beach, then nothing! What happened?”

“You passed out! Right there on the beach! The doctor said you probably beat a rock when you dive.”

“Must have ben that! What are you doing here, did you passed out too?”

“No”
she smiled and her green eyes sparkled “I’m just here with you, I called the ambulance.

“Oh!”
You’re really stupid Brian “Did you sleep here all alone”

“No, actually, Matt sleep here too.”
She looked around looking for him and I did the same. He wasn’t there. “I guess he already woke up! Are you really fine? her eyes sparkled again.

“Yeah, just my head that it’s killing me!

“Tomorrow you’ll be just fine! Can I just ask you something?”
she looked at me and waited a few seconds for my reaction. I didn't know what to say, so I shook my head. “What were you really thinking? I mean, when you jumped…”

“Don’t wanna talk about that!”

“C’mon, I’m here with my heart in my hands, please just tell me you didn’t did that on purpose.”

“Please, just respect me. It’s a complicated reason; I would need a whole day and lots of courage to tell you”

“I’m here and I have time.”
she sat back on her chair and waited for my reaction. My hand closed into a fist and I tried to contain the fury. I can’t find the words to say this. It’s so fucking difficult. I still missed him. 3 months is not long enough to forget a friendship of years and to understand. Why life is so fucking unfair. And I don't know if I could ever talk about it. "Fuck Brian, you have to throw everything out. And why not her?" “I see you don’t wanna talk about it…” She got up and started leaving “I’ve to go home anyway, so…”

“Please don’t. Just wait."
She seat back and I took a deep breath. “You know when you feel you have the perfect life, and suddenly nothing is as perfect as you thought? Right now I don’t know what to do; I don’t even know what to do without him. I suppose you know what happened. If you do, please don't make me say it out loud. I still can't. I still wake in the morning thinking. "I wonder what Jimmy wants to do today." It’s fucking hard to think that he will not be there. I just wanna scream, scream for him to return, we still have much to live together.” at this point I was already crying all the tears I tried so hard to contain. She hugged me and her arms hold me tightly. I really cried all my tears at a point I was just enjoying her hug.

“Brian, what the fuck is going here?” I looked at the door and I saw the last person I wanted to see. Michelle.