‹ Prequel: The Best Mistake
Status: completed!

The Worst Choice

If you insist.

Ashlyn.

"I can't come today, guys. I'm sorry," Kat said, looking at us with apologetic eyes. She was chewing on her bottom lip and looked so worried about what we'd say, I almost told her not to worry about it, that we can all hang out some other time.

But Jenn wasn't having it. "What could possibly be more important? Your mystery boyfriend?" Kat's face said that was the reason. "Look, it's been awhile since all four of us hung out and when we finally can, you're deciding that a guy is more important?"

She narrowed her eyes. "If I'm not mistaken, half the time that you or Ashlyn are 'busy' is because you're spending time with your boyfriends," she shot. "Ashlyn is always with Nash and I'm the bad person for wanting to spend time with the guy I like?"

"Kat, calm down- we're not saying that at all," Taylor told her with wide eyes. I was a bit surprised too. Kat's hardly ever an angry person and suddenly she's losing her cool?

"No! You guys are making me feel bad about being with somebody who cares about me," Kat argued.

"That's because you're making it seem like it's somebody you shouldn't be seeing," Jenn pointed out.

I could've sworn Kat's eyes quickly darted to me, but before I could be sure she was staring at Jenn again. "We're not ready for anybody to know," she answered, crossing her arms.

"Is a teacher? Is he married? Is that the problem?" Jenn guessed, not ready to back down from this conversation.

As much as I couldn't blame her for wanting to know, I was beginning to grow uncomfortable under the gazes of lingering students, hoping to see some kind of cat fight. "Um, maybe we should just leave," I suggested but I don't' think either of them heard me.

"You think I'm seeing somebody who's married?" Kat asked, as if it was the most idiotic thing to assume. "You really think I'm some tramp who would do that?"

"Who knows anymore?" Jenn replied bitterly.

Kat's face instantly dropped and I felt bad for her. "Kat, we don't think you're a-" I tried but she interrupted me, glaring toward me.

"No, I get it," she said, scoffing. "Whatever."

"Hey, I was just trying to help," I defended, unsure where the anger toward me was coming from.

"Save it," she snapped before stalking off in the opposite direction.

"Um... what the hell just happened?" Taylor asked as we watched her walk away.

"No clue. I didn't even say anything and she just snapped at me," I replied. "Jenn, you shouldn't have said that. It only pissed her off more."

"Okay, maybe it isn't a teacher, but why else would she be keeping it such a secret?" she asked. "Think about it. Whoever she is seeing has a girlfriend already."

"Maybe they do, but it's not really our business," Taylor said.

"What if it's Harry?" Jenn asked. I gave her a look of disbelief. "Don't give me that look. It isn't that far-fetched. That could be why she's so worried about us finding out- because he's already my boyfriend."

"I don't think Kat would do that," Taylor defended her, shifting her feet uneasily.

"Plus, have they ever even talked to each other?" I asked.

She shook her head, frowning. "Maybe that's why," Jenn assumed. "They don't want anything to seem obvious, so they don't talk at all. It makes perfect sense." She dug through her bag, looking for her phone. "I am so grilling Harry about this."

I watched her walk off with wide eyes. "Does this mean we're not hanging out...?” I asked, but I already knew the answer. Kat had run off and Jenn was already in her car, pulling out of her parking space.

"We could still hang out?" Taylor suggested. "Either way, could you give me a ride home? I just lost mine."

"Yeah, we can go get something to eat. I'm starving." I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood a little bit.

Neither of us said anything until we got in the car. "What if it's true?" Taylor asked me, concern lacing her voice.

"What do you mean?" I asked, pausing with the keys in the ignition.

"I mean, I really don't think Kat is seeing a teacher," she said. "But what if Jenn's right about it being somebody she probably shouldn't seeing?"

I let out a small laugh. "You really think Kat's seeing Harry?" I asked. "Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen them interact- ever."

"No, no, that's not what I mean," she replied. "What it were, I don't know, one of our ex's? Or even Harry or Nash."

I chuckled again. "Why are you and Taylor getting all psyched out on this?" I asked. "Kat is not that kind of person. She wouldn't do that to us."

"Then what's the reason for the sneaking around and secrets she's got going on?" she asked.

That, I didn't have an answer to. "I don't know," I mumbled, finally starting the car and back out of the parking lot.

* * * *


"We need to talk," I told Nash as I got out of my car, shutting the door behind me.

Nash, who was currently walking up the sidewalk, paused and gave me a confused look, looking behind him briefly before turning back toward me and shrugging. "Okay," he said, walking the rest of the way and setting his book bag on the ground, pulling himself up on the hood of my car. "Let's talk."

"What's going on with you?" I asked him, crossing my arms as I stood in front of him.

"Well," he started. "I haven't eaten since breakfast, so I'm a little on the hungry side. Also, I'm kinda tired but nothing too-"

"Not what I meant," I interrupted. "What was with the bags last night? Are you moving out of your dad's?"

He took a deep breath before letting it out slowly. "Yeah," he finally answered.

I couldn't help the smile that took over my lips as I hugged him. "That's great!" I exclaimed. "I'm so proud of you."

He chuckled, wrapping his arms around me. "What, did I just win the spelling bee or something?" he teased. "Is that really all I get?"

I laughed, pulling back enough to press my lips to his quickly. "Is that better?" I asked.

His lips twisted into a half smirk. "Not quite," he said, leaning into kiss me once again.

I pulled away, pressing my finger to his lips. "Ah ah ah, that's not talking," I said, grinning. I bit my lip, running my thumb over his now jewelry-free lips. "When are you putting your lip rings back in?"

He raised an eyebrow. "I'm not. I recently discovered that my mouth is left in better condition without them," he answered. "Is that what you came here to talk to me about?"

"Well, I was hoping you'd be at my house when I got home, but when my mom told me you said you'd be here..." I trailed. I sighed. "Are you going to live with Carrie now?"

"I don't know. I don't want to," he answered, looking away from me as his hands rested on my waist. "Right now I'm staying with Levi. I'm just taking it day by day."

I started messing with the strings on his hoodie. "I think it might be best if you do, you know, stay with Carrie," I told him.

He laughed. "You're not getting rid of me that easily, Ashlyn," he said. "You wanted me, now you're stuck with me."

"I'm serious!" I said. "If you want to, go. Don't just stay here because you don't want to hurt my feelings."

"And I've been concerned with hurting your feelings since when?" I rolled my eyes. He sighed, pulling me closer to him. "It was a joke. Ha ha. You know, funny?" I gave him a blank look. "Okay, maybe not so much funny. But anyway, I want to stay. I'm trying to straighten everything out so things can go smoothly. I'm going back to work tomorrow. I have things here. I have people here. People I don't want to leave."

"Well if you insist," I teased, laughing.

He laughed as well. "Can you stay a little bit?" he asked.

"I can," I answered. "Levi and whoever else won't mind?"

"Nobody else is here. Levi and his mom went to his sister’s soccer game," he said. "So we're all alone..."

"I will stay for a little bit. Just to hang out though. Nothing more," I instructed.

He smirked, hopping off the car and throwing his book bag over his shoulder, leading me by my hand. "I wouldn't dream of anything else," he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
omg so sorry for the delay. i've been so busy lately and lazy. probably more lazy but whatevs.

HAS ANYONE SEEN THE DECEMBER ISSUE FOR AP? AW IT'S SO PERFECT I LVOE IT OMG.

Thanks a ton to xoxo_aj_xoxo, NothinNNomore, MoMo_92, MusicLover525, Shadow14, amyuhohs, MerciPorLeVenin, TayVengeance, thewhorror, cruel kids., Give me Therapy... for the amazing comments. aw. c: