Blinded by Greed

Chapter Two - Sebastian (part one)

“Well, father, Alexander and I are off to England to inform King Edward and Queen Faith. We’ll be gone for three or four weeks. We depart tomorrow.”
“If you do leave tomorrow, you’ll miss your brother’s return. I know you’ve been dying to see him.” I gave Alex a look. We mentally agreed; Alex is aware of how much Zachary means to me.
“Fine, but only until Sunday we’ll stay.” We bowed and then exited Allen’s office.
“Sebastian, my brother, is getting married next Saturday. You’ll be there, right Kira?”
“Of course, how could I miss my future brother-in-law’s wedding?” He smiled so wide and bright I earnestly was expecting his jaw to pop off.
It was then that he chose to kiss me deeply in the middle of the hallway, which was abandoned. It was also in that moment a young man chose to make his appearance. He was cute, but no way could he compete with Alex. For a split second, he was flustered and embarrassed at having caught us nearly making out. That emotion was wiped clean off his face to be replaced with rage. Why was this man angry?
“What are you doing with my bride?!” His bride? If anything I’m Alex’s bride!
“My apologies…but do I know you?”
“No, but you do now. We’re engaged, I was arranged to come here today and announce it. My name is Bryan Oakes. I’m here to make you mine, Princess.” A sadistic, crude smirk danced across his lips.
A worried, slightly annoyed gesture was passed among us.
“I’m engaged already, to—”
“Me,”
“Prince Alexander Otis is England.” I finished. His jaw visibly dropped and a dirty look was shot our way.
“We’ll see about that.”
And that was how my day began.

“This is absurd! Our engagement was already planned. Theirs,” Bryan took a moment to sneer hatefully at us. “Was not! He proposed last night for goodness sake!”
“I will not have you speaking this way in my kingdom!” Scarily, the king and I managed to state in sync. I gave him a strange glance, letting him carry on. “I’m going to have to escort you out, Bryan. Guards, make sure this man finds his way out.”
A glare was fast to make its way on my face. “And when were you planning to tell me about him?”
“Do not question my actions, do you hear me?”
“Yes Sir.”
***

“Zachary!” Squealing, I engulfed him in a hug, almost knocking him over.
“I’m so happy to see you!”
“I can see that, pipsqueak.” He chuckles.
“I’m not a pipsqueak!”
Hey, hey, hey, hands off my fiancé please.” A new voice piped in.
“That’s disgusting, Bridgette, and you know it. He’s my brother.” Everyone laughs at my disturbed face.
“You’ve all met Alexander, correct?” A chorus of agreement was made out.
“Well, Alex and I have an announcement, Zach and Bridgette… Alex and I are engaged as of two days ago.” Once again, our hands got laced together.
Bridgette shrieks, grabbing my arm forcefully.
“How did he propose? When did it happen? Where did it happen?”
“Slow down, Bridgette; he left me a note, completely anonymous on the door of my chambers explaining to come to the gardens at 23:30. I wasn’t aware it was him until he finally showed. He was telling me all of these things; like that my smile brightened up my entire face and asked if I would marry him. You can’t say no to a man who does that! Not that I would’ve anyways…it was pretty romantic.”
“Oh, wow! He so loves you, Kira!”
“That would be why he asked me to marry him…”
She rolled her eyes, scoffing.
“There’s no need to ruin my excited mood, Kira. Besides, we better go save your lover; Zach seems to be giving him a pretty threatening ‘talk’.” The scene in front of me included Zach pressed up against Alex, glare on his face. This doesn’t surprise me.
Bridgette gasped, catching all of our attention. “Zach…you didn’t tell me you played for the other team! How could you!” She dashed off hands dabbing at her eyes, as if she was crying. Right before she was out of sight, she turned in my direction and winked. That girl was ludicrous.
“Bridge wait; it’s not like that!” Zachary ran after her.
Alex turned to me, face as white as a sheet, in fear I’d do exactly what Zach’s fiancé just did.
“She’s such a crazy girl…”
“So, you aren’t going to flee like Bridgette?” he asked cautiously.
I shook my head.
“No, because I have you right where I want you.” I smirk evilly, minimizing the distance between my lover and I. I bet he expected a full on make-out session, but I only pecked his cheek, prancing away.
My shoulder was grabbed, and my eyes were met with a teasing, playful glare.
“Now what was that Miss O’Connell? I deserve a real kiss at least.” I leaned up, kissing him for a split second.
“I said a real kiss, Kira, not touching your lips with mine.”
“That’s what a kiss is.”
“No, when I kiss you it’s so much more than just that.” Unfortunately, my face grew hot and my heart sped up. This never happens, damn it! So why did it start now?
“Awe, is little Kira perhaps, I don’t know, blushing? That’s just adorable.” My full, red lips turn into a luscious pout. It was only after that did he kiss me so deeply I really believed I was going to faint. That’s only me over exaggerating the truth, of course.
“Your love is the sweetest sin, I swear.” I murmured hot on his lips, gazing into his ice blue eyes.
***

“Bye Kira! Bye Alex! I’ll miss you two! Remember to write to me!” At the same time Zach says,
“Play nice kiddies. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!” Men.
“Don’t worry, I won’t!”
Our bags and luggage were already on board the boat. Roughly six hours is how long it’s going to take for us to arrive at the palace.
For the first lapse of time in months, an unfeigned smile twisted itself across my mouth, overstretching it by far.
And no, I didn’t live in the main castle in Tara; I resided in one closer to the ocean. The King and Queen of England wouldn’t let Alex stay in the castle in Tara, something about wanting him as close as possible. Of course they sent guards but nothing compared to our army.
With a final embrace goodbye, we were off to my lover’s home country. I was excited, but also nervous. Today was the day I was meeting my love’s parents…but also the people of such importance. They wouldn’t disapprove of me, would they?
“It’s okay, dear. They’ll love you, I’m sure of it. Besides, even if they don’t, I’m not leaving your side.” He’s right; they should take a liking to me, especially with my status of power. It’ll work out just fine, it’s too good of an opportunity for them to pass up being acquainted with a neighboring country; an ally of Ireland.
“Come on, I want to go see the water,”
“Oh wow! Is that a dolphin? It’s huge!” A deep, manly chuckle interrupted my rants on aquatic animals. My heart flutters to life, flashing teeth at Alex while thinking; I’m falling faster and true.
“Excuse me? Your Highness, we’re arriving in fifteen minutes.”
“Thanks, George.” My index finger rose to my lips, beckoning silence. A gold coin was placed in the palm of his hand; his startled expression gave away his rejection even before it hit me.
“Princess, I can’t—”
“Please, George, accept it; just this once.” Pure and utter happiness showed, nodding viciously.
He walks away, a skip in his step mumbling how it was going to feed his family this week. I’ll have to “accidentally” leave a bag of coins on his desk soon.
Arms wrapped themselves around my waist, “you’re so gorgeous; so kind…so perfect, Kira. And you’re all mine.”
“And that comes from the man who is gorgeous beyond belief and has all the ladies chasing him.”
“My looks are nothing compared to your beauty.”
“If I had a coin for every time I’ve heard that line, I wouldn’t be very rich.” His lau7gh echoed throughout the room.
“Now I demand you release me, I have something I need to do.”
“Does this involve dropping off a bag of change for a certain-someone?”
How the hell did he know of my plans?
“You forget, Kira, I love you, therefore I notice all the little things you don’t.”
“Do you mind if I come with you?”
“I suppose not, just do it quickly.”
A sack of money, along with a note stamped with the royal mark sat in George’s room. Another package of coins was placed there, suddenly.
“What are you doing?”
“I’m helping out his family.”
“Where did big, bad Alex go?”
“There never was a ‘big, bad Alex’. There’s only the Alex who used to exist before he met you, and there’s the current Alex; who also happens to be lovesick.”
“Why do you always tell me such cheesy, romantic things?”
“Because every time I see your face my heart thumps wildly – I can only hope I make you feel the same way.”
“Bullshit. Now, tell me the real reason.”
A hand clutches his chest dramatically, “how could you say such an untrue thing? It’s the 100% truth!”
Every narrowed, I studied his face; observing if anything other than honesty showed. My eyes searched every centimeter, only seeing truth. A mental image of Alexander forever will be engraved in my mind.
“You’ll always be loved, you know that right?”
“What are you trying to say?”
“I mean, say when I die, I just want you to know you will always be loved. Find someone else to care for.”
“What’s going on? What do you know?”
“It’s nothing, Kira. I just wanted to let you know that it’s okay to love after I’m gone.” A gentle, fearful kiss began, coming more urgent by the second.
“We’re here, Kira.” What a beautiful sight, tall trees, meadows covered in all sorts of flowers, lush grass was what I first saw. To the right was a small town, fishermen busily working and merchants trying to make a few extra bucks.
“There’s where Sebastian is getting married.” What a marvelous location, the view of the bay with the comfort of land. Fish swam close to the shore, many different but similar colors to add to the beauty. The people seemed friendly and generous to outsiders. Children ran along into the woods to the left, some staying behind splashing in the water. A group of kids were playing some sort of game in the fields. It was in that moment did I wish I could have a normal life, settling down and starting a family here would be magical.
A small, young child bumped into my legs knocking himself off of his feet. A guard was just about to yell at the poor child to watch where he was going, but I silenced him by shooting daggers.
I helped the boy to his feet, “are you alright, little boy?”
“Yes ma’am, I’m sorry for—wait, why are you with the prince? Are you his girlfriend or something?”
“Something like that,” a chuckle escaped my chest at the kid’s awestruck face.
“Does that mean you’re going to marry him?” I nodded my head vigorously.
“What’s your name?” I crouched down to look him in the eyes.
“Kira O’Connell, I’m the princess of Ireland, but you can’t tell anyone alright? Not even your mommy and daddy.”
“Will you come and visit me again?”
“Sure thing, kiddo.”
As I rotated my body back expecting to see Alex, I realized he was talking to the carriage driver smiling gesturing my way. Well they seem to be having a good old time.
While I was climbing the steps of the palace, the driver stopped me for a brief moment to whisper in my ear.
“The kingdom needs someone as delightful as you; the country could really use it.” Warmth crept into my heart at his welcoming words.
“Oh, Alexander, how I’ve missed you!” The Queen, presumed, cried hanging onto Alex like a leech. “And…who are you?” I was questioned uncertainly by the slightly plump, middle aged woman. She has light chestnut brown hair and sparkling golden brown eyes. She was quite pretty. Her husband, the King, stood next to him. I know where Alex gets his looks from now.
King Edward had an almost knowing expression, like he knew all of my secrets.
“I am Princess Kira O’Connell of Ireland. Prince Alexander and I have business to discuss with the King and Queen.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like this was very random and kind of all over the place. Thoughts?