Sail

5.

ImageBRIELLA


A bookstore these days seemed a little outdated to Briella since everyone was buying e-readers but it was the only place that had been hiring. She should've known how dull of a job it would be but there's nothing like getting paid to do nothing. It took about five minutes for Briella to walk around the entire store and realize there was really no necessary cleaning or tidying up to be done. She plucked a magazine from a shelf and sat on top of the check-out counter to read it. As she flipped through, she found herself humming the tune she'd heard the other day at the park.

She paused, confused. She'd only heard it once so why, of all the songs in the world, would that one come to mind? She didn't know how to answer her own question but it seemed that even despite the radio playing over the speakers throughout the store, she kept humming that tune for the rest of her shift. Around eight thirty, Louis, the store owner came to close up and Briella began her walk home. She thought about taking the bus but somehow her feet guided her to the park where she'd met that guitarist.

She stood on the sidewalk and lit up a cigarette. As she smoked, she scanned the playground impatiently. It would've been too coincidental for her to run into that guy again so Briella shouldn't have been disappointed but she was. She checked her phone and decided that there had to be someone she could call and hang out with so she wouldn't have to go straight home.

"You're here."

Briella turned around and found herself face to face with the guy from the other day. She chuckled nervously and ran her fingers through her hair. "So are you."

"I was hoping to run into you again," he said.

"Oh yeah?" So it wasn't just me, Briella thought. She took another drag from her cigarette. "Well, I'm not going to lie... I've had your song stuck in my head all day."

She saw his eyes brighten. "Really?"

Briella found his laughter infectious. "Yeah, really."

"I'm Chandler by the way."

"Briella."

Chandler chuckled again as he scratched the back of his head. "I know this is going to sound weird but do you think you'd like to come home with me?"

Briella smiled as she blew out a puff of smoke. "Excuse me?"

"I mean, just because I don't have my guitar with me. I'd really like to get your opinion on some other songs I've written."

Briella flicked off the ash from the end of her cigarette. She had come to the park in hopes of seeing him again but she hadn't expected him to invite her over. He barely even knew her after all.

"I'm not a bad guy, I swear," he said, taking a step toward her. There was almost a desperation in his tone.

"I'll burn you with my lighter if you try anything," she warned as she followed Chandler to his car. A smile played at her lips as she said it because upon inspecting Chandler from head to toe, Briella couldn't find an inch of malice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks AshyMandy for the comment!