‹ Prequel: Charming the Charming

Charming's Charmless

The Promises We Make

Image

It was at least four days out from Juice skipping town and going alone. As he sat back on his bike on the side of a dusty highway Juice fiddled with his mobile. He had been tossing up whether or not to call Jax and let him know the situation.
The plan was to go back, but if he didn't call in soon he knew there wouldn't be a club or home to go back to. Flipping open his mobile Juice dialled in the number of his VP.

Sitting beside Helen on the edge of the boxing ring Halfsack looked up at the sound of a car creeping through the gate.
“Oh look at that. Flashy!” He smiled as the bright red car came to a stop.
Helen looked up from her bottle of water and squinted her eyes against the afternoon sun. “Same car with the same woman has been turning up for four days now.”
Sack nodded his head as Lucy shut the door behind her and approached them.
“Wonder what she wants?”
“I guess we are about to find out.”
“Hi there.” Her glossy lips smiled at them as Lucy approached, her heels crunching over the ground and pencil skirt restricting the stride of her steps.
“Ma'am.” Halfsack greeted her in his polite way. Helen only nodded and waited to hear what the woman was going to say.
“You might have noticed my car the past few days coming around here. I was just checking in to see if Juice was back yet?”
Helen's stomach dropped at the mention of his name. “Why?”
Halfsack bit his bottom lip and slid from the ring with raised brows and expertly placing himself between the women. This had the potential to get messy.
“Oh.” Lucy looked surprised. “Gemma didn't mention anything?”
Halfsack shook his head as he heard Helen slip from her place and stand behind him.
“Well I am just here to talk to him about a few personal things.”
Helen raised a brow. “What kind of personal things?”
The red head tilted her head to the side. “I don't think that's any of your business.”
“Lucy!” Chibs's voice boomed from the Club entrance catching the attention of the trio. “What are you doing here?”
Chibs's boots crunched over gravel as he made his way over placing himself next to Helen. A raised brow look on his face.
“Just looking for Juice.”
Chibs grunted. “He wants nothing to do with you, lassy.”
By this time Helen was getting frustrated with Juice's name and Lucy's unknown agenda. “Could someone tell me who the fuck she is?”
Lucy's eyes widened. “I'm his-”
“She is no one.” Chibs cut Lucy off and put an arm around Helen's shoulders. “Sack make sure Miss Lucy leaves without any trouble.”
Nodding Halfsack shot a half smile at Lucy who watched Chibs walk Helen off with suspicion in her eyes.

“I can't work here any more.” Helen blew a stream of smoke from her lips as she sat under Chibs's arm.
“Ah darlin' don't put no mind to that crazy bitch.” He patted her shoulder and sat back against the chair they were sat at facing the bar.
Helen shook her head. “It's not that, I don't even know who she is. It's just being here and expecting him to come in on his bike. Waiting for him to come out from the Club House...it's enough staying in the house.”
A pressed sigh came from Chibs as he watched Helen stub out her cigarette and light another. “I hear Luanne is looking for a girl to help out at KerraKerra. Want me to ask Jax about it?”
Looking up from the ashtray Helen nodded. “That would be good, thanks.”
A hard smile flickered at the corners of Chibs's lips.
“So who was that woman?”
He shook his head. “Not my business to tell you who lass. Something you'll have to ask Gemma.”
“Ask Gemma what?” Gemma walked through the door with reading glasses perched on her nose and a wad of papers in her hand.
“Uhh...”
“That woman with the red car came by again today. Who is she?” Helen stood as Gemma's heels came to a clicking stop.
Shooting Chibs a look Gemma didn't have to ask.
“I didn't say anything about her. I swear Gem.” Chibs put his hands up in defence.
“God dammit.” Gemma pulled her glasses from her head and took the seat opposite Chibs and gestured for Helen to sit. “I really didn't want you to find out who she was. The woman is nothing but trouble and caused a lot of heartache with Juice.”
Helen's chest began to sink as Gemma cupped a hand over hers. “So she was special to him...”
“They were engaged at one stage.” Sighing Gemma watched as tears began to well in Helen's eyes. “It didn't last long though. Not when he found her in his stash of drugs.”
“Stupid bugger didn't listen to us before it got to that point.” Chibs felt Helen shudder next to him.
“He didn't love her. Not really. It was just sex and drugs.”
Helen pulled back from Gemma's hand. “So what does she want now?”
Shrugging Gemma shook her head. “I think she wants to talk things over with Juice and try her luck at another shot.”
Helen slumped in her hair. “Fuck. I can't do this shit any more.”
Chibs leaned over the table. “Don't talk like that darlin'. She doesn't have a chance with Juicy Boy.”
Helen placed the freshly lit cigarette to her lips. “I somehow doubt that. He left without a word. Who knows what else he will do.”

“Bro where the hell were you?” Jax rested against his bike watching as Juice flipped open his bag.
“Around.” He pulled out a box and handed it to Jax.
“For the Irish?”
Juice nodded. “Yeah.”
Shaking his head Jax placed the parcel in a parcel caddy on the back of his bike. “You have some serious damage to clean up here.”
His hands went to the sides of his head. “I know. Helen isn't going to be too keen on letting me back in I guess.”
Jax shook his head. “Not just that brother. She doesn't want to work here any more.”
“Why not?” Juice screwed up his face.
“She says it's enough staying at home waiting for you. Chibs was asking me about the job Luanne has going at KerraKerra for an assistant.”
Juice's eyes went wide. “And what did you say?”
“I said she could have it.” Jax shrugged. “Helen was right. At home and here? Everyone could see her start to crack.”
“Nice.” The sarcasm was thick in his voice as his head dropped back and hands met his face.
“She's gonna be workin' in a warehouse with dudes that have bigger dicks and thinner wallets than you. Best get your shit together.”
Jax watched as Juice's skin reddened. “I just needed some time.”
“I know and I understand. But you could have told her. You know she was on the phone to Tara that morning crying her heart out? I could her it from the bathroom.” Jax pushed off his bike and put a hand over Juice's shoulder. “I have been through this and pushing her away isn't going to do you any good. You need her as much as she needs you. Man the fuck up.”
Juice nodded. “I should get home. When does she start at KerraKerra?”
“Tomorrow at 8am.”
“Okay. It might do her good to get away from the garage.” Juice began to reason Helen's new job in his head.
“Oh and one more thing.” Jax dropped his hand from Juice's shoulder and stuffed it in his SAMCRO hoodie. “Lucy is back in town and have been sniffing around here.”
Juice's stomach dropped. “What?”
“Yeah man. That dried up bitch has been by here each day checking to see if you were around. Mom said she talked to Helen.”
“Ooh God dammit.” Juice buried his face into his hands. “What else can go wrong?!”
“Helen knows who she is...”
Feeling an ice cold pit form in his chest Juice pulled his hands from his face. “How?”
“Gemma told her. She asked and Mom didn't have a choice.”

Helen hadn't heard the grumble of Juice's motorcycle or the clicking of the front door in the early hours of the morning. Her pill bottle sat under the pillow as she slept in a medicated Wonderland. She didn't dream or wake up screaming. No sorrow touched her heart as she dozed away.
Juice had come to the bedroom door gently pressing on it so that its hinges didn't squeak. There he watched for what seemed like a lifetime the woman he cared most about. Juice had dropped his head in shame. Again he had failed her.
7am.
The digital clock next to her screamed so loud that the flurry of birds outside the bedroom window took off in a panic.
A sluggish hand batted at the clock till the din ceased. Slowly Helen shifted from the bed and gingerly forced her limbs to work as she shuffled out into the lounge room.
“Morning.”
Looking up from her floor gazing Helen came eye to eye with Juice. He stood at the back of the couch with a sorry look on his face and a bunch of flowers on his hand.
Helen rubbed her eyes and looked again.
“I know these don't make up for anything.” Awkwardly he held out the flowers and took a step forward.
Watching his movements Helen slowly took the flowers from his hands. “Where have you been?”
Juice shrugged. “Around. I'm not really sure. I just kept driving.” He took another step forward. “Helen I am so sorry...”
“Sorry? Sorry?” Her voice began to raise itself and heat prickled over her skin. “Sorry doesn't cut it! I thought we were okay.” Pulling her arm back Helen whacked Juice over the face with the flowers. Petals burst from their stems and showered the carpet in velvety rounds. “Instead you just fucked me and left. You have no idea how much I needed you the past six months!”
Hot tears began to stain her cheeks as Juice watched Helen break down in front of him.
“But you left me! You fucking left me.” Dropping the flowers Helen began to beat her fists over Juice's chest.
“Baby I came back.” Juice's voice was gentle as he grabbed her wrists and pushed them against her chest. “I will always come back.”
A tired and heavy gasp escaped her lips as Helen's knees buckled. Juice caught her, sinking to the ground with his broken honey in his arms.
“I'm sorry.” His own tears began to prickle at the back of his eyes. “I'm sorry. I know it was the wrong move.”
Helen sniffled and clenched her teeth against any more tears. She moved her face and looked up at him with pain scarring her face.
“I need you here. Juice I can't get through this on my own.”
“Baby I'm here.” His arms tightened around her. “I'm not leaving again. Swear. I swear it.”