Status: Trial period; active

Use Somebody

چار

Oli doubled over in pain on the floor from the punch Zayn had sent to his abdomen. I gasped, my hand flying to my mouth. “Oh my God! Are you OK?” I asked in concern, bending down to check him out when Zayn put his hand on my arm, tugging me away. “He’s fine, Eesha,” he said in an annoyed tone of voice, pushing me towards the door. “Stand outside for a moment. I have to go give your new friend a proper goodbye...” I wouldn’t trust Zayn in a room alone with him for a second. “You’ve done enough, Zayn! Whatever the boy’s done to other girls has been rectified tenfold from all that man handling you’ve done with him!”

But he wouldn’t listen. He bent down on one knee so that his lips were in Oli’s ear. “If I ever see you around her again I promise you you’ll never be able to stand again. Got it?” Oli continued groaning, his face contorted in pain as it rolled from side to side on the floor. Zayn picked him up by the collar, forcing him to face him. “I said got it?” Oli nodded with as much energy as he could muster, still forming incomprehensible sounds. “Good. That’s what I like to hear.”

And with that he let his head drop to the floor, sending a new flow of pain through him. He cried out, his face turning towards me from what little he could see of me through the small slit in the hallway. He was trying to tell me something, his lips moving but no words coming out. I tried to decipher what it was but just as I was getting close, the door slammed and all I could see was Zayn. He was more furious than I’ve ever seen him. I stepped back a few steps subconsciously.

“Don’t you ever do that again! Just take off like that, I swear, me and the boys were goin’ mad back at the house...” My eyes bugged out at the mention of ‘him’ specifically. “Really? The boys and you, huh? That’s funny. I could’ve sworn a minute ago that you hated me beyond words. I guess I must’ve missed som--”
He ran a hand through his dark locks, pacing around a bit before looking at me again. “For fuck’s sake, Eesha! Will you just shut up for a sec and listen to what I’m saying?” My mouth closed and I waited patiently for him to speak. I didn’t think it was possible for him to get any angrier at me than he already was but I wasn’t going to test it.

“First of all,” he said when he calmed down. “I don’t hate you. Well I sort of do for ruining my life and all. I didn’t exactly put in a baby-sitting job application, ya know? And my life’s already hectic enough with all the performances and interviews and every other piece of crap that comes with this rockstar life. Not to mention I’ve got a girlfriend that’s pissed with me for having to cancel twice already with her to deal with you. So yeah, you’re not exactly my favourite person in the world. But I don’t hate you.”

I searched his hazel eyes and realized with unexpected happiness that he was telling the truth. Did that mean he’d stop getting annoyed at my very existence? Somehow, him not being angry at me or hating me made me not want to go off on him anymore. “And second of all,” he continued. “If this thing we’ve got going on is going to work, there needs to be boundaries, yeah?” I nodded. It seemed fair enough. As long as he wasn’t being a complete prick to me twenty-four-seven and I could have some fun with the boys around I wouldn’t mind staying at their flat. “Right,” he started counting them off with his fingers. “One: no running off to places without me knowing and approving of them. Two: if you’re out somewhere, you have to be back at the flat by eleven thirty--”

“A curfew?” I groaned. “Really Zayn? I’m not some little kid...” He ignored me, going on. “Three: no bringing home anyone we haven’t ALL approved of, being the lads and I, and four: you have to programme all of our mobile numbers in your contact list. Any questions?” I opened my mouth to speak but he simply shook his head. “I just said that to be polite, I don’t really feel like answering any of the many stupid questions I’m sure you have whizzing around that brain of yours.”

I pouted. He was still annoyed with me and probably always will be; that was obvious from the constant insulting jabs made at me. But he didn’t hate me and he wasn’t truly angry at me anymore. I was actually properly impressed that he made the effort to create a set of rules for me to uphold, as offensive as they were. Did he not think I had any common sense at all? Still, he couldn’t not cared at all and for some reason I believed the effort made on his part came from him and him alone.

“Fair enough. That’s a lot of effort on your part, though. I must say I am quite impressed,” I finished with a cheeky smile. He rolled his eyes at me, though light-heartedly. “Yeh, well, I realized you weren’t suddenly going to disappear so I decided to let it happen.” I smiled real wide, watching him through smug eyes as I put my face up close to his. He was tall enough that I had to stand on my tip-toes. “You liiiike me! There’s no harm in saying it. Just admit it.” He scoffed at me, pushing me away with one finger on the shoulder.

“‘Ave you heard of personal space? You know, the thing that you’re in the way of right now?” I kept smiling at him, which I think was creeping him out a bit. “The more you change the subject the more it means you like me Zayn Malik. Come on, just say it. You have a soft spot for me now. I’m too adorable to resist.” He started walking down the stairs from Oli’s flat where we’d been standing for the past fifteen minutes, muttering to himself. “More like a cockroach I can’t manage to rid myself of...” I skipped down the steps, catching up to him. “Fine, don’t say it. You don’t need to. I know the truth.”

He groaned, jogging down the steps a a faster pace. “I’m warning you, Eesha -- don’t put words in my mouth.” Following behind him, I put my hands over my ears. “I can’t hear you!” He shook his head to himself, turning around so quickly I nearly bumped into him. “You are the biggest pain in the arse I’ve ever known!” I raised an eyebrow, as if to say ‘so’? “But...” Zayn sighed, looking back up at me with the first glimpse of a smile I’ve seen directed at me all day. “I suppose you’re my pain in the arse.”

I put my hands to my cheeks, gasping. “Aw! I knew you would warm up to me!” I pounced on him, nearly sending us both to the floor below if it hadn’t been for him reaching out and clutching the staircase banister in the last second. “Bloody hell, woman! Warn a bloke before you jump on him, yeh!” I looked down at him skeptically. “I’d take your complaint more serious Mr. Malik if it weren’t for your hand on my butt...” He took notice, trying to brush off the blush that was rising in his cheeks. I giggled. “It just happened like that...” He mumbled to himself before setting me down.

“Come on,” he said impatiently, glancing upwards where Oli’s flat was with a sense of unfinished business. “Let’s get out of this shithole before I go back and smash Oli’s head in some more.” I shuddered to think what Zayn would’ve done if I hadn’t been in the room when he caught me at Oli’s. The look on his face when he found me with him -- it was like he really wanted to murder him right then and there. I could tell Zayn wasn’t the type to make threats without following through with them and I didn’t want to pride myself too much on it but I couldn’t help but think that I may have just saved Zayn from going to prison on my behalf.

Image

The car ride back to the lads’ flat was silent, but a comfortable silence. I didn’t really know what to say and I didn’t think Zayn really fancied talking after all that drama. Even though his income was based on the drama in his life, I don’t think he really liked drama. In fact, I think he hated it. Twenty minutes later we were turning into the driveway of the flat, Zayn killing the engine. He made a move to get out but I put a hand on his arm, stopping him. He turned to me in question. “What is it?” I tried to pick my words carefully. “I’m really grateful for what you did back there, I know it wasn’t easy...” He shrugged. “I would’ve done it for anyone. The guy’s a freak.” I nodded. “I know...but about that last part, I’m not really sure--”

Zayn looked at me not angrily like I thought he would but solemnly. “Listen to me very carefully, Eesha, Oli is only after one thing and he covers it well. He acts all kind and sweet and crap but that’s just to get you to trust him. He wants in your pants, Eesha, I don’t know how else to say it, and he’ll stop at nothing to get it.” I swallowed, unable to move my eyes away from his intense, hazel ones. “Well what if he doesn’t want me for that? I could be the one exception--”

“You’re a virgin, aren’t you?” My eyes widened at his sudden intrusive question. I was, but it wasn’t like I wanted him to know that. How embarrassing. I was seventeen years old and I hadn’t been kissed let alone get that far with a guy. “You don’t have to answer,” Zayn sighed. “Your face says it all. You’re a virgin, and that’s the exact type Oli’s into. And as a person who’s responsible for your well-being, I’m warning you to stay the hell away from him if you don’t want to give your innocence away to a lowlife like him.”

It was silent for a moment as I pondered his words. Clearly he cared enough about me to come and get me when he sensed I was in need. And after everything I didn’t think he’d lie to me, I mean, the guy obviously had anger issues but I don’t think he randomly beat up people for no reason. But how did he know where to come in the first place? “Zayn?”

“Hmm?” I swallowed hard. “How did you know where to come find me? I mean, I didn’t leave any clues in that note I wrote so how did you know?” He sighed. “I figured, you being you, you’d get yourself into the worst situation possible and probably end up on the bad side of London. I have a mate that lives around where Oli’s at and he rang me to tell me there was a girl that fit the description I gave to him of you. So when I drove down there I didn’t see you there so I figured Oli took it upon himself to take you back to his. It really wasn’t that hard. Just put two and two together.”

The answer made enough sense. I realized as we got out that that would probably be the most we’d share with one another for a while. Zayn cared; he wasn’t completely heartless, but it was clear he didn’t want to have to spend anymore time with me than was necessary. “Are you comin’ or not? It’s 3 o’clock in the fucking morning I’m not going to stand out here forever in the cold.” I rolled my eyes, shutting the door behind me and following in his footsteps. “I wouldn’t expect you to...” I said ruefully to myself.

A few minutes later we were inside the flat and I was greeted with several suffocating enduced hugs. All I could see as they embraced me tightly was a blur of different coloured hair. It was definitely all the lads. “We were so worried!” One said, I think that was Harry. “We couldn’t bear the thought of what might have happened to you, or that you would never come back to us!” Niall shouted above Harry’s voice. I was actually struggling to breathe at this point. “Clearly...” I got out. “You’re crushing my lungs so I know you care! Probably too much...”

They stepped back when I said that, reaching out to make it better but I sidestepped away from their hands. “Sorry! I love you all but I don’t feel like nearly dying again tonight!” They watched me through wide eyes. “What do you mean ‘again’?” Liam asked. “Yeah,” Louis crossed his eyebrows. “What did happen to you this evening?” I glanced around, looking for Zayn but he wasn’t even in the room. He must’ve left already, probably catching up with his latest girlfriend and trying to smooth things over between them.

I don’t know why that bothered me. Like after tonight when he’d saved me from danger that even I wasn’t aware of he’d turned into this Prince Charming. My Prince Charming. But the second all of it was over, he sped out of here faster than a light. I felt like things between us hadn’t really changed and yet I feel like we made a breakthrough. Broke down at least one wall of his. When he smiled and I jumped on him, it was almost like we were real friends just having a laugh. Had I been wrong to assume that anything had changed between us?

“Eesha?” Harry’s voice came through loud and clear this time as he waved a hand in front of my face, a perplexed look on his face. “Earth to Eesha? You there? We’re trying to talk to you.” I snapped out of my thoughts, seeing many concerned looks directed my way. “Yeah...I am. Listen, I know you wanna know everything and I want to tell you it’s just that I’m completely exhausted right now. I could literally fall on the floor in my state. Do you mind showing to my room? I promise to catch you up on everything in the morning.”

They nodded immediately, Niall rushing in and grabbing my suitcases before leading the way. “For sure! Come with me, your room’s right across from Zayn’s and next to the bathroom. But, for my sake and the lads’ -- you’ve gotta tell us what happened tonight. And don’t even think of leaving out any details!” I nodded, smiling slowly. “Of course. But come to me first, yeah? I won’t say anything more but it wouldn’t be wise to mention anything about tonight again to Zayn. He’s still prone to going off again, alright?”

Niall widened his eyes, dropping my stuff on the floor of my new room with a ‘thud’. “What? Now you have to tell me what happened right now!” I shook my head, laughing. “No way! Now get your butt out of my new room! I’ll see you in the morning.” I pushed him out, hands against his chest as he kept arguing with me. “You can’t just leave it at that, Eesh. You can’t!” I didn’t comment on his new nickname for me because it would just start a whole nother conversation and it would be ages before I got to sleep so I said only what was necessary to get him out of my room and me to bed.

“In the morning, Niall,” he tried to poke his head in once more but I managed to successfully slam the door in his face, earning a loud whine from him on the other side. “Don’t think this is over, Eesha! I will stand out here and shout as long as I have to to get your attention--” A loud, aggravated voice cut in his rant, silencing him. “No you won’t, you wanker! I don’t know about Eesha but some of us are genuinely trying to get some sleep, so you better shut the hell up right now if you know what’s good for you!”

I snorted, shaking my head at Zayn’s outburst. Did he think I was just doing this for show, having a bit of fun? I went through more than him today, but how quickly that was forgotten. I sighed, changing out of my clothing that I was suddenly itching to get out of. I couldn’t believe I just trusted someone so wholeheartedly and got into someone elses’ clothes. It was appalling. But it was soon forgotten when I was in my own clothing, tucking myself tightly into bed.

Today was a hell of a day, and I had no doubt in my mind that as long as Zayn was in my life, there would be many more to come. I didn’t know how I felt about that just yet, but I couldn’t ignore the smile that was creeping on my face at the single thought of Zayn. I couldn’t have developed a tiny, miniscule crush on him, could I have? I grew worried but stopped when a thought calmed me. If there was any sort of feelings hidden for Zayn from me, they would surely disappear when the whole idea of him being my knight in shining armour went away.

Or, at least, I hoped.
♠ ♠ ♠
Explains a lot more, huh?
I hoped the story now makes sense; Zayn never truly hated her he just didn't like having a responsibility like Eesha forced upon him.
What do you think? Not enough? The way I am making Zayn act, does it seem realistic?
Tell me what you think, I'd really like to know and improving is always something I want to do!
And thanks again to those that subscribed after my last chapter post and to Berdych. for commenting again!
To those that are also reading -- do not be a silent reader! I want to hear all your thoughts and I a new sub to my story ALWAYS makes me happy!! Don't you want to me to be happy??