‹ Prequel: Sluts in Love

Glitter, Guts, Glory

Geranium.

"So, what? Should I hide my silverware from you or something?" I asked. I didn't really know what gypsies were about, just that they steal your money. I don't think I even own silverware, actually. Daisy rolled her eyes.

"No. Basically, we're all into family stuff, with the men stereotypically heading to work while the girls stay home and take care of the house," she said this flat. "But I didn't like staying home all day. It was so boring. My parents wanted me to drop out of school to be a full time gypsy wife, but I wanted to graduate and get an education. Something to fall back on. And plus, I didn't want to get married again."

I think I swerved the car and ran over a squirrel. "Again?!"

"Eyes on the road, Leo!" she exclaimed. "Jesus. But, yeah. I was married when I was sixteen, but he died two years later. I liked Freddie, I really did, but I didn't love him. Then, my parents started scouting out potential husbands again. I couldn't take it after that, you know? Especially since they expected grandchildren."

"Sixteen," I repeated. "Jesus." Something dawned on me that really pissed me off. "So wait, did you guys have to have sex or something?"

"Of course we had sex, Leo," she said. That hit a nerve, I know. I could feel the familiar tension growing because I'm such an idiot. "We were married for krissakes."

"That doesn't mean you had to sleep with him. You were sixteen."

"Yeah, and my mom was fifteen when she got married," I really pissed her off this time. "That doesn't mean we're whores. It's just how we do things."

"It's creepy, that's what it is."

"This is why we stick together, you know. Gorgers just don't understand."

"Well I'm so sorry for being raised in a normal society," Daisy shot me a warning look but I didn't care. I didn't even know what a gorger was, but it sounded like an insult. I pulled into a gas station and stopped the car. "I'm filling it up and I know exactly how much money is in my wallet," I said, placing it in the cup holder and being a dick. "Oh, fuck you, Leo," she replied. I opened the door and got out. She waited in the car until I put the nozzle back and went in to pay. When I came out she was gone and all I saw was her retreating figure halfway down the road. A couple pulled in as if on cue, looking like newlyweds in their convertible. They were laughing and looked happy and really rubbing it in my face.

"Fuck you guys," I called out to them, then went and tried to catch up with Daisy.
♠ ♠ ♠
i am obsessed
with my big fat gypsy wedding
and i needed a gypsy in something