Status: Just started this awesome idea (:

A Taste of Vengeance

Parting Ways

The sound of TV’s could be heard in every shop, hope and building in America, describing the extra-terrestrial attack and the heroes that saved them. Standing in the street, I was speechless at the devastation and how long this would take to clean and rebuild. But we would do it together, we would do it as a country, because today, we were one. We would help our neighbors, and we would help our friends.

I had just left the medical center where my stomach was medicated and wrapped. It still twanged with pain, but nothing like I had experienced earlier that day. my other minor bruises and cuts were ignored, for there were civilians with far more serious cases than my own.

A wave of sympathy fell over me as I saw large group of people kneeling and putting pictures on the wall of lost ones. Some were lighting candles, and laying flowers on the ground. My sense of sadness was overpowering and I walked over to a young girl that was alone and crying, kneeling over a picture of a girl who looked just like her, a sister.

I crouched down next to her, putting my arm around her gently. She flinched and looked up, but saw my face and knew she was safe, knew it was over. She sobbed harder then, flinging her neck around me and burying her face in my shoulder. I consoled her quietly, and crept into her mind, easing the tumult of sorrow and grief in her thoughts.

I did this one by one to the people around me, replacing the hurt with fond memories that brought peace and tranquility, and understand that their lost ones were no longer suffering, that they would be waiting for them when it was time to go. It was all I could give, and even doing that to fifty plus people was exhausting work.

Steve found me standing up and stretching my back, having consoled the final person. I saw him standing with his arms crossed over his chest, looking at me as if he were watching a comet shoot across the sky for the first time. I felt my cheeks heat as I approached him, loving the way his lips turned up in a smile, and the way he looked at me with his head tilted down, eyes watching me through his lashes.

“Always full of surprises,” he murmured, pulling me into his chest. I felt him sit his cheek atop my head, and I fixed my arms around his middle, craving and loving the warmth that radiated from him. It was like nothing else in the entire world; neither fireplace nor heater could warm me the way he did. “You’re a lot more humane than I thought.”

I smiled into his chest, hitting him playfully on his back. “Shut up. It’s all your fault.”

My face moved with his chest as he chuckled lightly. “Yes, yes it is.”

“Come on, I murmured. We have things to do.”
*

After long hours of discussing what was to be done with Loki, and discussing the matters of keeping the Avengers intact and going over guidelines and initiatives, it was decided that Loki and the tesseract would be taken back to Asgard, where Loki would face trial by his own people. It was for the best, and it was also for the best that they took the tesseract. It belonged to them, after all, and it only brought grief and war to our world. We couldn’t hope to ever understand something so powerful, and thought many wanted to keep it, we knew it was for the best.

I walked the halls of the temporary SHIELD compound, freshly changed in a red button up top with a white cardigan pulled over it, a simple pair of jean shorts and red heels. My gun was holstered in its place on a shoulder holster, hidden from the world, as I was trying to blend back in with society. We all deserved to blend in for a while, escape the horrors we had faced.

Steve stood near the doors, leaning against the wall waiting for me. He was dressed casually like myself, in simple jeans, a plaid shirt and his leather jacket, blonde hair brushed to the side out of his beautiful eyes. I shook my head, seeing him stand there like that. He still stood out against everyone else, with his old, classic handsomeness, but I didn’t care. He was mine, and that’s all that mattered.

He was watching a TV, as a young, pretty girl on TV gushed over how Captain American had saved her life, and she seemed to be infatuated with him. I fought myself from giggling, as I leaned on the wall next to him, leaning my head on his shoulder as he draped his arm over me casually, as if he had holding me his entire life.

“I think she has a crushed on you,” I teased, poking him in the ribs.

He chuckled. “She is pretty, but I’m currently dating someone. You might know her? She’s annoying, hard-headed, won’t let anyone do anything for her, and sometimes she can be the warmest, most charming, beautiful woman.”

I glared at him, but couldn’t help but smile. “I hear she’s got a gun to shoot people who insult her.”

He kissed me softly. “Yeah, but she has bad aim.”

I smacked him. “Come on, we’ve got some business to attend to, soldier.”

Steve linked his fingers with mine as we excited the building. We walked to a car where Selvig was pulling out a glass case to carry the tesseract in. Thor stood with a firm grip on Loki, who was cuffed and also had a muzzle covered his mouth. It was a good look for him.

Steve stiffened as Bruce removed the tesseract from a sealed case, placing it in the glass container. I looked up at him, knowing he was thinking about all the pain it had caused us, and him personally. I let go of his hand and loped my arms around his middle, squeezing tight. He answered by putting his arm around my shoulder, rubbing my shoulder with his thumb affectionately.

Even in the presence of others, my bliss was so overwhelming that half the time I was with Steve, I thought I would topple over in a fit of laughter and happiness. Being near him literally made me want to run through a field full in spring, and dance and spin around in circles in the sun. He had no idea what kind of effect he had on me, but when he looked down and smiled at me, a light touched his eyes so bright, that I was sure that he felt the same way.

Barton and Natasha approached, both in normal clothe and stood next to us. They weren’t holding hands, but the way they stood so close to one another, they might as well have been. Natasha smiled at me and looked Loki up and down, trying not to laugh as she leaned over to a scowling Barton, murmuring something in his ear that made him break out in a smile.

Thor said goodbye to each and every one of us, even embracing me briefly and telling me that in Asgard, I would be considered the finest and bravest of warriors. I knew it was the highest compliment I could receive from him, so I bowed my head in gratitude and watched as he handed his brother the other side of the glass case made to take them back. Loki looked at it distastefully, but took it in his hands, turning it and starting the energy. He shared a single last nod at us as they evaporated and vanished.

A relief seemed to flood throughout the group and we all exchanged smiles. We were all ready for a break, all of us ready to take a leave of absence. Tony approached Steve and I asking, “So where is the happy couple traveling too? Wait let me guess- a bunch of museums so the antique over here can catch up on ancient history.”

I rolled my eyes. “Haven’t decided yet, but thanks for the suggestion, Stark.”

Tony laughed and shook Steve’s hand. “In a couple of weeks Pepper and I are going to go to Venice for a week, you know, to get away, blow some money, do irresponsible things. You guys are welcome to go…” he turned to Natasha and Barton, who stood with their car doors open. “Hey! Inch eye private eyes, wanna go on a trip? The mutant and the American flag are coming too.”

“We didn’t even agree-" He held his hand up, cutting me off.

Clint laughed. “We’ll get back to you on that.

“And so will we,” I said pointedly, kicking at him. He rolled his eyes and smacked my cheek lightly and good-heartedly before he got into his fancy car with Bruce, speeding away, causing me to smile. I looked up at Steve.

“I think we should go,” Steve said as he got on his bike, waiting for me to get on the back.

“Are you serious?” I got on and wrapped my hands around him tightly, pressing my cheek against his leather jacket. “I’ve got all the time in the world to learn about what’s happened. A week away might be nice.”

“A week a way with Tony might be explosive, you mean.”

He laughed, starting his bike. “Well, I think we should do it- after our dancing date, of course.”

I smiled as he turned onto the road, closing my eyes and enjoying the feel of him, the smell of him, his entire being. I had never felt so in love until this very moment. “Yes,” I agreed. “Dancing first. And Steve?”

“Hmm?” I heard him call over the sound of the motor.

I smiled brightly, squeezing tighter. “I love you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my gosh I cannot believe this story is over ): one of my favorites I have ever written so far . A big huge thank you to every single person who has commented or messaged me , it was your kind words and your tenacity for this story that kept me updating and writing . Readers mean the world to me, and you guys have been the best at giving feedback that I have ever had , I swear . I'm really excited to be doing both a Thor and a Loki story for you guys , and the first chapter to the Loki story will be up today ! Also , Ashlynn Bane will be making an appearance in a single chapter of this story , so look out for her ! I hope I don't lose you guys as readers on the next story , but I promise it will be a good one ! Thank you so much , everyone ! I love you all ! The Loki story will be titled ' Broken ' .