Met you in Silver oak

Chapter 4

The French teacher was this tall, not-so-good-looking guy. He had a bald spot and crooked teeth and a mustache which hid his upper lip.

“Bonjour, you are late”
“Bonjour Monsieur” I said apologetically. He gestured me to take a seat. Wow this school is amazing. Some teachers don’t come at all and some are wonderfully early. I grimaced in my mind.

I was really glad to see an empty seat beside Gretchen. She patted the seat telling me to sit there. I sat and smiled.
“Hi” she mouthed.

Then we worked on our pronunciations in French. The teacher left 5 min before the bell rang; this gave me time to talk to Gretchen.

“Sorry I slept early yesterday” I said. We both didn’t know anything except our names right now.
“Sorry I left early today” she grinned flashing her white teeth again. They were brilliant, really. We both talked about families, friends, boyfriends. Everything’s answer was a ‘good’ ‘cool’ ‘nice’. These words were really common. Our lives were common. She told me that her parents disallowed her to do truckloads of things. And that even here, miles and miles away from her hometown, she could still feel their gaze upon her.

“So, um, do you like anybody in particular from here?” I let my arms stretch, a gesture towards the school.
Her expression was thoughtful.
“Nah not my type”
“What is your type?” I said, amused.
“I……don’t know okay?”
“Hmm...a confused, lost, love-puppy Gretchen”
She rolled her eyes and just like that from roommates we became roomies (I.e. roommate buddies?).

I glanced around the room to get a ‘look’. There were cute boys here too! I knew Jordan; he was called by the teacher to present a poem in French. His French was so fluent it made me melt. He had gorgeous blonde hair. His nervous ending with a tentative smile made me want to give him a bear hug. Conclusion, Jordan was a shy hottie.

After tearing away from my thoughts of boys I looked at the girls for once. I didn’t even look at them until now. They were all well dressed, pretty and high-schoolish. In fact everything over here was like any other high school. But it wasn’t, something about this place was so different. So…

Independent.