Counting the Miles

Six.

Ace

-> It was approaching 10:30 p.m., Bella had fallen asleep and I just kept driving. The memories of the lake house flooded back into my mind.
After my parents got divorced I had started spending a lot of time at the McCrery’s. Their mother was the mother mine stopped being, their father would play sports with me like mine would. And Bella was just adorable and always wanted to play.
The lake house is where we learned how to swim, I leaned the trade of the water swing, learned how to drive the boat, and it was just pure happiness everyday.
When Mike and I were fifteen, his parents sold the house, and bought the one in New Jersey. At first it sucked, but we got to go to new territory, and we found ourselves in love with the beach town and everything it offered. This was the first time we would be allowed to go out to the bars in the neighboring town, it was a dry town, something Bella grumbled about.
She made friends with the girls next door and was often with them out on the town. They showed her the parties, the boys, and where the fun was.
I looked over at her and smiled, she was sleeping curled up on the seat. I looked up and found the next stop and headed in that direction.

“Bells come on.” I opened her door and click off her seatbelt. I had already got us a room; I just needed to get her and the bags inside.
She groaned and slowly opened her eyes. “Hey sleeping beauty,” I mumbled to her.
She smiled and sat up.
“Where are we?”
“Right next to the border of New Mexico. You passed out a couple of hours ago.”
“I’m sorry Ace,” I shrugged and took her hand and pulled her out of the car. I opened the back door and grabbed our duffels and locked the car.
“The room’s this way,” I said walking towards our hotel room. It wasn’t too far from the car, but her sleepiness made her walk slower. I chuckled as she finally caught up, I found our room and slid the card into the slot.
The little green button lit up, and I pushed open the door. Flipping on the light there was two queen beds, the AC on full blast, and ugly ass wallpaper and curtains. The TV faced both beds, and the bathroom was on the other side of the room. There was a table and chairs right by the door, I flopped our bags on the table and let Bella slide by me.
Her shoulder grazed my body and sent butterflies in my stomach. I was just exhausted from driving, that’s what I continued to tell myself.
“Bells, why don’t you change and get ready for bed first.”
“Thanks,” She picked up her bag and headed into the bathroom, quietly closing the door. I sat on the one bed and rubbed my hands over my face.
-Almost to New Mexico, let your mom know.
I hit send to Mike and placed my phone, plugged into its charger, in the wall next to my bed. I was grabbing my basketball shorts and a tee shirt when Bella walked out wearing an old shirt of Mike’s from high school soccer and really small shorts. I turned around and closed my eyes.
“All yours,” she said happily as she plopped her bag on the floor and claimed the second bed.
Without looking at her I headed to the bathroom and closed the door.

By time I came out Bella was under the covers, thankfully, and sleeping. I shut the light off to the bathroom, and walked over to the bed. I turned off the lamp between our beds and lay on the bed.
My phone brightened the room, I grabbed it and slid open the text message from Mike.
-Take care of my sis, but I know you are.
A second later another one came in.
-Make out yet? ;)
I rolled my eyes and turned the screen off and settled under the sheets.

The phone rang at 10 a.m., my head hurt when I sat up and answered the phone. It was our wake up call, check out was in an hour.
Bella sat up and let the sheet fall down to her waist. She stretched letting the shirt ride up and show off her flat stomach. I closed my eyes and counted to ten before opening my eyes and getting out of bed.
“Mind if I shower first?” I asked her. She smiled and shook her head.
“No, it’s fine. I’m going to call my mom anyway, she texted me like seven times.”
“Yeah I told Mike where we were last night and to pass along the message.” She smiled and nodded grabbing her phone while I grabbed my bag and headed into the bathroom.

Fifteen minutes later I came out wearing my blue Henley, jeans, and smelling like my signature cologne. Girls have told me they loved the smell, and I’ve never used anything else.
Bella was grabbing her bag and brushing past me when she stopped.
“You smell really good,” she said looking up at me and smiling.

We were sitting at a Waffle house while Bella finished off her breakfast. She had the map in front of us, and a blue marker of the route we have done so far.
“So we are here,” I said placing my index finger on the map. “So I think we can take the 10 through New Mexico and be in Texas by tonight.” She nodded and finished her hash browns.
“Did you want to see someone in Texas?” She asked me slowly. I looked at her and sighed.
“Guess we should stop by?” She nodded.
“Only if you want to Ace, and if you need me to disappear when you do just say the word.”
I smiled and placed my hand over hers. “Thanks Bell.”
“No problem,” she smiled and took out her credit card, paying for breakfast. “Should we get gas and snacks and head out?”
I nodded, helping her out of the sticky booth; we got her card and receipt and headed out to the car.

“Are you excited for school?” I asked as I switched lanes. I said I’d drive first, and she can take over after lunch.
I saw her shrug out of the corner of my eye. “Yeah, I guess so.”
“Why? College is awesome.”
“Yeah but I don’t know anyone there. I’m used to seeing the same people everyday, hanging out with my friends, socializing with the same people. Yeah it should be exciting to finally get the hell out, but I’m terrified.”
“Bell, you’re such a great person and you make friends so fast you’ll be fine.” She looked at me and slightly smiled.
“You sound just like Mike.”
“Well it’s true, I mean look at every summer out in Jersey. You made friends, and every year you come back and it seems like you never spent any time apart.”
She smiled and looked at me. “Thank you Ace. You really do know how to turn my mood around.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you guys think :)
I'm really excited for the next couple of chapters and I think you will be too.

I want to say thank you to:
JennyLynn2012
Carola
Simplici Visu

for commenting on my story. You all sent a smile to my face and motivated me to write more.
Also thank you to those who subscribed and recommdended, it means a lot to me :)

I'm leaving for California in a week, for two weeks, and want to post as much as possible because I haven't decided if I'm bring my laptop with me. So the more comments, the faster the updates. :)
Thanks guys!