‹ Prequel: Sherlock's Girl

The New Generation

Confronting the Enemy

Sapphire stood outside the house. This was the right place, this is where Lydia. The house was huge; it was more like a mansion than a house. And Baker Street definitely wasn’t on the way to or from school from this place.
Sapphire climbed up the stairs to the front door. She rang the door bell, then stood back and waited for someone to answer. The door was opened by a woman in her mid-thirties. “Hello dear. How can I help you?”
“Hello, Madame. I was wondering could I speak to Lydia please. You see I need her help on something.” Sapphire said looking rather nervous.
“Of course my dear. Please do you in.” She said opening the door, letting Sapphire in. “I am Sabrina, Lydia’s mother; please do call me Sabrina, none of that formal stuff.”
“Thank you Sabrina.” Sapphire said smiling back.
“I will take you to Lydia. Come this way.” Sabrina led Sapphire through the house. Sapphire noticed about a dozen men around the house, all concealing fire arms.
They reached a room with grand wooden doors. Sabrina went straight in, without knocking. As soon as the doors started to open, Lydia yelled from inside.
“Mother! How many times do I have to tell you to knock! I am in a meeting! “
Sabrina gestured for Sapphire to stay outside. “Lydia one of your friends is here, she says she wants to talk to you.”
“Who?” Lydia demanded.
Sabrina popped her head round the door, “Name?” She mouthed.
“Sapphire, Sapphire Doyle.” Sapphire whispered back.
“Her name is Sapphire Doyle. Rather pretty girl...” Sabrina said, starting to explain.
“Shut up mother. Sapphire! Do come in!” Lydia called from inside.
Sapphire walked in slowly, through the door that Sabrina held open for her. Sapphire looked across the room and saw Lydia sitting behind a huge marble desk, opposite two men. She was murmuring something to them. The men got up, nodded to Lydia and left, existing through a door on the other side of the room. Two men remained standing behind Lydia; they both wore smart suits, again concealing fire arms.
“Sapphire! What brings you here?” Lydia said, putting her feet up on the desk. “Please come and sit down. Sapphire walked across the room, noticing hidden doorways and passages. Sapphire went and sat down opposite Lydia at the desk. Lydia looked at her mother who still stood at the door.
“Why are you still here?” Lydia roared at her mother.
“Sorry. I will leave you two in peace to discuss things.” Sabrina muttered before leaving, shutting the doors quietly behind her.
“So like I said, what brings you here?” Lydia repeated.
Sapphire crossed her legs, placing her hands together under her chin. “Oh, I just wanted to have a little chat. Get things off my chest.” Sapphire said.
“Oh what things would that be?” Lydia asked.
“Oh just the fact the you’re a murdering psychopath.” Sapphire said calmly.
Opposite Lydia didn’t utter a word. Instead she started clapping. “Well done! You figured it out! I am so happy for you.” She jumped out of her chair.
Sapphire moved slowly her hands moving under the desk.
“Don’t even bother. Hand whatever it is your hiding over.” Lydia said, without blinking.
Sapphire sighed. She put the flip knife on the table. “There we go. And where did you think you were going to get with that? There two men in here, this time you aren’t alone and you don’t have your precious Sherlock with you. So you can’t jump anyone with the blade like you did Moriarty.”
Sapphire was taken back, “How do you know about Moriarty?”
Lydia smiled, “Because, you so called genius child, I am Lydia Moran-Moriarty. Daughter and heir to Jim Moriarty. And you’re the bloody reason he is dead. You bitch!” Lydia screamed. “Along with Sherlock of course, but I am going to crush him whereas I am going to kill you.”
“Oh, that makes a lot of sense. It clears a lot of things up.” Sapphire said.
“Finally you are getting things!” Lydia said. She jumped up and down on the spot. “This makes things much, much more interesting. You’re alone with me. And being you, no one will know where you are. Will they?” Sapphire nodded, she hadn’t told them where she was going, on fear of being stopped. This was her case.
“My point exactly. So how should I do this so it is as painful as possible for Daddy Holmes? Should I make a video of me torturing you slowly to death and send it to him in the post? Or should I torture you by slowly killing you over time by slowly cutting off body pieces and sending them to him one by one? Personally I prefer the latter, it will slowly crush him, always wondering if you still alive and in pain. Or if I have just killed you and sending him the pieces.” Lydia sneered. She was enjoying every minute of this.
“You know you are just like your father, he wouldn’t shut up, no, wait. He did forever, he died. I was the one who wouldn’t shut up I drove him insane in his later moment with my continuous whining.” Sapphire said, winding up criminals was her specialty.
Lydia looked at her and leaned over the desk, “How dare you speak about my father like that! I should shoot you right here, right now. But that would take the fun out of it.”
“Oh and we don’t want do that do we?” Sapphire murmured sarcastically.
“No. No. No. Of course not! Fun is always the answer. For all life’s problems, fun is the answer! No, no we must have fun with you!” Lydia had begun skipping around the table. “If we don’t have fun with you then we don’t have fun with Sherlock, and would make me sad. I have been planning this moment for over a year now. I’ve been planning this ever since the night some idiotic henchman came and told me my father was dead. Well at least the idiot joined him. But anyway, I found you, got people to follow you, and report everything back to me. By the way, how was your stay with Mycroft Holmes?” Lydia asked sneering.
“Oh, when I had to stay with Umbrella Boy for a week? Oh, it was so entertaining. Had the time of my life.” Sapphire said realising the small girl was telling the truth. No one but herself, Sherlock, John, Mrs Hudson and Mycroft knew about the stay. Sapphire hated talking about it, and she hated remembering that week too, she would prefer if it just became a void in her memory.
“Yes, I heard that is was. But anyway back to the story. I could have killed you in your flat without you knowing. Well you ruined that for yourself, just by waking up.” Lydia said. Sapphire remembered back to earlier in her room standing there by her bed, a look of revenge and evil on her face. “Your Sherlock isn’t very smart at some points is he? He was the one that told me your address, even after I told him that I was your friend. Silly boy, you don’t have any friend, that’s why you eat lunch all alone.” Sapphire just sat there doing nothing.
They stayed silence for a few minutes. Lydia wondering around the table still and Sapphire sat in the chair by the desk. Lydia went to open her mouth when a gun shot fired somewhere in the house. Lydia looked at the two men who stood behind the desk. She nodded at them. One of them left going to investigate what was happening while the other remained, removing his gun from his belt. More shots fired through the house.
“What is going on?” Lydia yelled.
The man that remained shrugged his shoulders. “Well go find out then, you idiot!” Lydia roared. The man quickly headed to the nearest exit, he hesitated at the door, worried about Lydia being left alone with Sapphire. “What are you waiting for?!” Lydia shouted, noticing his hesitation.
The man left the room. “Is this your doing? You lied to me! You said no one knew where you were!” Lydia grabbed a knife off a shelf and headed to toward Sapphire. “You lied!”
Sapphire rose from her chair, and backed away from the girl. “I didn’t. I told John I was going out for some air and Sherlock wasn’t even in the flat, so how could I have told them?” Sapphire said, as Lydia approached knife raised.
More shots fired round the house, female shouts were heard in the distance. “They are hurting my mother; I will definitely kill you now.”
“Why do you care the way you treat her. You treat her like a piece of dirt on your shoe. So why should you care.” Sapphire said.
“True I treat her like dirt. You know what I don’t even know why I personally care. But it gives me more motivation to kill you.” Lydia smiled.
Sapphire was backed up against a wall, as Lydia slowly walked closer. Sapphire looked by her sides, looking for something she could defend herself with. Lydia reached arms length, Sapphire grabbed an ashtray and threw it at Lydia missing her head slightly.
The shouts in the rest of the house grew louder. Faint shouts of Sapphire’s name could be heard. “Don’t say a word.” Lydia growled.
“Don’t plan to.” Sapphire replied.
Lydia got closer, Sapphire reached for the small table beside her again, grabbing the first thing she could. She threw it at Lydia this time it hit her confusing Lydia, making Lydia drop the knife. At this point Sapphire charged at her knocking her to the floor. The pair rolled on the floor, struggling to get up themselves but making sure the other one didn’t get up.
Sherlock’s shouts came from outside the door. “Sapphire? Are you in there?” He shouted, trying to enter the door, which had been locked. “Lestrade help, I believe they are in here you need to hurry up and open this door for me.”
The girls continued their struggle on the floor. Lydia tried grabbing the knife off the floor, but Sapphire stopped her.
Sounds of the door trying to be broken down start as several police officers instructed by Lestrade rammed their shoulders into the door. After several minutes of ramming, they finally broke the door down. Sherlock was the first one to enter the room, what he saw surprised him.
They entered the roomed to find Lydia backed against a wall, with Sapphire pointing a knife at her, daring her to move. Lestrade went straight over gun raised. Once he reached them, Sapphire lowered the knife dropping it to the floor, while Lestrade arrested Lydia.
“Lydia Moran you are under arrest for the murder of a supply teacher at your school.” Lestrade said as he started putting the girl in hand cuffs.
“Ummm Sir, she is Lydia Moran-Moriarty, so I would try doing that again otherwise she could sue you.” Sapphire said looking at Lestrade. Lestrade started again, and then gave Lydia her rights, before escorting her out of the room to the police car waiting out front.
Sapphire gave a sigh of relief. She saw Sherlock and ran over to him hugging him. Sherlock pulled out of the embrace almost immediately. “We are going home now Sapphire.” Sherlock said in a blank tone.
Judging from Sherlock’s tone and body language Sapphire was in big trouble when they got home. They walked out of the house in silence and all the way back to Baker Street.