‹ Prequel: Love Gone Mad
Status: Active

Anchor

Mourning

George Weasley was escorted into a tiny gray room by a wizard he presumed had all the answers to the condition of his wife. As soon as the wooden door shut behind him with a click, the healer instructed George to sit down.

The room was dull, just like the rest of the hospital. Black and white abstract art work hung unevenly along the walls. Only two chairs and a waste can filled the room. George began to feel claustrophobic as he took in his surroundings.

“Mr. Weasley,” the healer spoke slowly, taking the seat across from him. “Your wife, Adara..”

“When can I see her?” George interrupted, searching the man's eyes as he leaned forward and rested both of his hands on his knees.

“You will be allowed to see her soon,” the man continued, “I would like you to know that she received high degree burns all across her body.”

George turned his head to the side, his body went numb and he thought he was going to be sick. All he wanted was to see her, be with her, and tell her that she was going to be alright.

“The good news is that we were able to mend the burns,” the healer offered the man across from him a slanted smile. “And Adara is going to be perfectly fine.”

George let out a sigh of relief and looked up at the white ceiling, attempting to stop the tears that filled his hazel eyes.

The healer opened his mouth to speak again, but he was cut off.

“And the baby?” George quickly asked.

“George,” the man spoke as calmly as he could; his face paled.

“Is my baby going to be alright?” George's voice began to quiver when he didn't receive a quick answer.

“The immediate damage to your wife's skin was quite severe and..” he paused.

George stood to his feet and stormed out of the room.

“Mr. Weasley!” He heard his name being shouted after him.

George ran to the outside of the room Adara was in and opened the door. His eyes met Adara's body that was laying on a pure white cot, her chest was rising and falling slowly. George assumed she was asleep as he took a few steps forward and analyze Adara's slender forearms that were wrapped in gauze. Adara's eyes fluttered open at the touch of George stroking her forehead gently.

"George," her voice spoke weakly; she smiled and held out a hand for him to come closer.

"Adara, I'm so glad you're alright," he sunk into the open spot next to her and Adara fell into his arms.

George smoothed the back of his wife's hair as she laid against his chest, crying softly. His lips began to tremble, terrified to ask the question he had yet to receive and answer to.

"Darling," George whispered into his wife's ear, nuzzling his head against hers. He felt her cling to him tighter and she didn't speak a word; the shirt he was wearing slowly became damp. "Is the baby okay?"

"It's all my fault, George," Adara whispered against George's neck, her body shuttered, "It's all my fault."

George leaned his head down and met his wife's gaze, who quickly averted her eyes. Her small hands were shaking dramatically as she sat up in George's lap.

"We lost the baby," Adara whimpered with her head in her hands. The groan of sorrow that escaped her lips after was met with a wave of tears.

George's body stiffened, filling with anguish. In that moment, he had to make a choice. Every inch of him wanted to curse the skies at their misfortune but he knew that in this moment, he had to be strong for his wife. So, he took Adara's face into his hands and kissed the tears that glided down her flushed cheeks.

"It's not your fault," George's voice shook at first and then began to strengthen, "Adara, it's not your fault."

"Yes, it is," Adara wailed, finally meeting her husband's gaze. "I should have been more careful." Adara dropped her head low and curled up on the cot, her tears never ceasing to fall.

"Don't you dare blame yourself," George moved to lay in front of her, and caressed the side of her arm. "It was an accident."

"And accident that killed our child," Adara groaned and clung to her husband once more.

George's mind began to spin as he continued to listen to his wife's mourning. This was his reality now and he was so uncertain of how to face it. He clenched Adara tighter and kissed the top of her head. Joining in her mourning, George began to weep and the strength he had moments before abandoned him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for all the comments, subs, and recs! I really appreciate them.

P.S. This won't stay sad forever.. I promise.