Rag Doll

Piece of my Heart.

I waved goodbye to Bobbie. She looked so uneasy. I felt somewhat bad for leaving her with a bunch of guys that she barely knows, but this was probably my only chance to tell Sodapop how I felt. It was now or never.

My best friend and I walked down the street we both lived on, and we passed the park where we used to play every day. Memories and thoughts flashed very quickly in my mind.

Finally, Sodapop pulled me towards the diner that was just four blocks away from my house. Ironically, it was the same diner that Two-Bit had told me he knew that I like Sodapop.

We sat down at a table for two; yet, it was a pretty big booth. The waitress smiled at us.

"Well, Sodapop, I didn't know you weren't with Sandy no more! Who's the pretty lady?"

Sodapop seemed to recognize her also: "I found Sandy with another guy the other day. Denise, this is Dani. Dani, this is Denise."

"Are you Susie's daughter?"

Nodding my head, she told me of how much her and my mother were good friends back in the day. After that, Sodapop order the breakfast special for the both of us; which consisted of two fried eggs, two sausages, some panfries, four strips of bacon and two toasts with a side of either orange juice, milk, coffee or hot chocolate.

During the time we waited for our meal, things got a little quiet. Sodapop seemed preoccupied with his thoughts. It was minutes before he finally looked in my direction.

"I'm so sorry, Dani. I was thinking and got lost in my thoughts..."

I smiled at him reassuringly. He seemed a little tense, but he did start a conversation.

"I think it's horrible that it's getting colder out. I love Christmas, but then it's just horrible. It's always so sad..."

Little did we know, something awful was going to happen very soon.