That Girl

Devin

I slowly dragged Ricky into our apartment and threw him towards his bed. I missed by a bit, but he was so messed up it wouldn't have made a difference. It wasn't like sleeping really seemed like an option for me. My eyes were wide open, there was nothing I could do but sit up and think. About what? The one person I seriously wish I could get out of my head. I felt like I was up for hours before I slowly drifted to sleep, that is to be woken up by Rick in what seemed to be a matter of minutes. "Dude," he was on top of me grinning, "what the hell happened last night, did you get some?" He was eager like a school girl.

I pushed him away, "no."

"Awe," he sat back, "what happened, and seriously don't skip a single detail because I remember nothing."

I raised my brow, "did you want to know about me or about you?" It was always like him to be somewhat selfish and not really care what happened to others. Especially when his enormous ego deemed his life far more entertaining than mine.

"Just go in order," he said.

I laughed, "well right off the bat you deserted me to go make out with that Asian chick, leaving me with her friends. Her somewhat jealous friend and the overly peppy, fat one." He smiled and nodded his head remembering. "Then I found Sienna," I started.

"The girl," he pointed at me as if he were sure that was the right answer. I nodded and he let out a brief look of victory.

"She was with a guy," I scratched the back of my neck, "and my presence forced her to move to a more private location."

"Boo," Ricky said, "tell me he's a jerk."

I shrugged not really knowing, I wanted to believe the guy was scum, but I didn't know. "I don't know," I sighed, "didn't say one word to him, for all we know he may be a great guy." I shook my head thinking about the scene last night, "I stand no chance, that guy was a real Casanova."

"No," Ricky pointed, "don't talk like that, we are too fucking invested." He leaned back still keeping stern eye contact, "besides you are the best guy I know, you're sweet, you're romantic and by God if I were gay I'd be all over you." He jumped over and hugged me, "I love you man."

"Dude," I pushed him off.

He laughed, "sorry man, but it's true, that guy ain't got nothing you don't."

"You've never met him," I said blankly.

He pointed sternly, "that doesn't matter, you wanna know why." He looked at me awaiting and answer but spat it out before I had the chance, "because I know you man, and you are my bro." I looked at him unsure and he leaned back again and crossed his arms, "go on, what happened next."

"The next thing I remember was you coming back over with the Asian girl," her name was seriously skipping my mind, "and then the friend, the jealous one, totally went after you." His ears perked in excitement, "you guys were going at it for a while." He rose his brow asking the obvious question. DID I WIN! "Yeah," I nodded, "you won, you did well enough to get us kicked out of the party."

"That's fucked up," he said outraged, "he started it."

"No one there knew or could vouch for us," I said, "besides that girl... Kim." I was ecstatic, finally remembering her name, it was killing me. "But it's cool," I said, "because you just dragged me to another party."

"Anything happen there," he looked intrigued.

"Besides you making an ass out of yourself," I asked more as a question and he just glared. I got up and started getting dressed. It was Friday, which sadly meant I had a class at twelve because of my fucked up schedule.

Ricky followed my lead, "so what's the plan?"

"Class," I continued buttoning my shirt.

"No," he shook his head, "with the girl, what's our next move." He gave me a devious look, "if she's serious with the other dude, I can always take care of that for you." I looked at him appalled and he continued grinning, "I have connections."

"No," I shook my head, "I don't even want to know," I shook my head more, "no, I think it's time for me to give up."

"What," he looked at me.

"Throw in the towel, bow out of the competition," I said.

"I know what it means," he looked at me blankly, "I just don't understand why, when we are on the verge of success."

His definition of any word in that last sentence was lost to me, it made absolutely no sense. I had lost the game, I was no where near success. "Please tell me what your delusional mind calls the verge of success," I raised my brow.

"You found her," he looked at me, "that was half the battle." I shook my head not convinced before I walked out the door heading down the hall. "Hey," he followed me, "you listen to me, if it is the last thing I do, you and this girl will be together."

"Why," I looked over at him as I rolled my eyes at his persistence, "when this whole thing began you were begging me not to go through with it, what the hell changed."

"You did go through with it," he said, "you never do anything risky, or impulsive, you like her." He paused, "besides I want you to be happy dude, I mean usually you fucking bum me out with your pessimism. For the first time, since Allison Wheeler, you were excited about something. I'm not giving that luxury up just because this stupid girl thinks you are a little creepy, or that she might have a boyfriend." He pointed sternly, "no, we are in this for the long haul, so don't you dare give up on me." He put his hand down and shrugged, "because if you go back to being a walking black cloud again I'm seriously going to kill you." He grinned and walked a head of me. "So what do you say," he yawned as he put his hands up over his head stretching.

"Okay," I put a smile on his face.

"That bitch better watch out," he nodded.