That Girl

Devin

Her eyes were soft with sympathy as she spoke, “oh my God that’s so romantic, I hope you find her.” I nodded and she bit her lip and twirled her hair in the odd way girls do and then she continued, “But if you don’t, here’s my number.” She pulled a small pink piece of paper out of her back pocket and handed it to me. I nodded and turned around as she closed the door.

“I’ll take that,” Ricky took it out of my hand and stuffed it in his back pocket. “So I think we’ve gone through every dorm, can we give up now?”

“No,” I said, “there are all the students who live off campus.”

“And sorority girls,” Ricky smirked and nodded his head.

“She’s not a sorority girl,” I shook my head. Ricky raised his eyebrow and I continued, “She doesn’t seem like the type.”

“You do not know that, “Ricky put up his finger, “you wanna know why, because you don’t know her.”

I shook my head, “she can’t be a sorority girl.”

“No,” he said, “you don’t like sorority girls, so in your mind she too hates sororities because you are building this girl up to perfection.”

“Sometimes I hate psych majors as much as greeks,” I said while he just shrugged.

“I’m just saying,” he walked forward, “so we should check out the sororities and if she
happens to be there, we are saving you from your worst nightmare.”

“You don’t know that,” I said.

“No,” he agreed, “but I do know that you’re wasting your time looking for this girl when you got tones of numbers from girls today.” He grabbed a bunch of papers from his pocket, “girls totally eat this romantic stuff up.” I shook my head vigorously and began to walk forward; I was heading toward the computer science dorms. “Where are we going now,” Ricky caught up to me.

“I know a guy,” I said and he just shrugged and continued following me. Calvin is the smartest guy I know in the school. I figured if there was anyone who could help me find the girl it would be him. As soon as we got to room 273 in dorm G, I knocked three times and the door swung open.

The room was always dark with lights flickering around, it looked so technological. “Who is it,” a familiar voice echoed through the room.

“Cal,” I said, “it’s me.”

He turned around in his chair and smiled, “Devin.” He stood up and walked over, “what can I do for you.”

“Why is it so cold in here,” Ricky said looking around.

Cal turned in his seat to look at Ricky and then turned back to me with his eyebrow raised. “This is Ricky,” I said looking back, “and he won’t touch anything.” I gave him a stern look and he took his hands away from some machine. “So I was wondering if you could help me find this girl,” I said.

“Easy,” he said turning back to his screen, “what’s her name.”

“I don’t know,” I sighed, “but she goes to school here.”

He turned to give me a questioning look to which I shrugged and then he turned back. “I can get you a list of all students enrolled, and picture ID for all those with a student ID, but it’ll take forever to get through the entire list.”

“I’m in,” I said pulling over a chair.