That Girl

Devin

“It’s been a whole week,” Ricky said, “can we just give this thing up.” I shook my head, no, and he rolled his eyes, “this is the stupidest thing you’ve ever done, and might I add that you are never going to find this girl.” I was too busy listening to the phone conversation the girl at the table beside us was having. She wasn’t the girl I was looking for, she was much taller and had darker hair, but I had this incredible feeling. “Are you even listening to me,” Ricky pushed my head.

“Shush,” I put my hand up and pointed to the girl. He was about to speak and I put my finger up to his mouth. And the two of us listened.

“A random stranger,” the girl said shocked and getting up, “this is what happens when I leave for a week, you two sprout some stupid plan.” I got up and started following her and Ricky did the same, I didn’t want to be obvious and stick too close. I knew that we could probably spot her from a while away, she was an amazon dressed like a whore. But I really did want to hear this, so we stuck pretty close. She started laughing, “that sounds about right, was he cute,” she took a pause and said, “on like a scale of Connor to Jack?” She shook her head, “she is the pickiest person I know,” now she was nodding, “yeah I’m on my way.”

“This is the girl,” Ricky gave me an unsure look.

“No,” I said, “aren’t you listening, she knows the girl.”

He shook his head, “she could be talking about anything, it doesn’t have to be you.” We followed her to the front of the Kappa Kappa Gamma house and I stopped in my track. Rick was excited, “well I think we should investigate this further.”

“We’ve already checked the sorority houses,” I said unsure.

“I recall there were a few girls missing,” Ricky said, “at almost all of the houses, you didn’t thoroughly investigate any of those girls.” I shook my head and Ricky put his arms out, “just lead the way.”

I knocked on the door hesitantly and the same girl who opened the door the last time answered it. She looked at me and smiled, “oh back so soon. Found you’re girl or are you looking for another one?” She raised her eyebrows suggestively and I looked at her unsure.

“No,” Ricky took the lead, “he wants to talk to the girl who just walked in here.” There was a slight scream from another room and Ricky inquired, “what’s going on over there?”

“Some of the girls are having a scary movie marathon,” she said. Ricky took that as his cue to go comfort some scared sorority girls. She turned back to me, “she’s in her room, go up the stairs turn left and then it’s the fourth door on the right. She’s in there with her roommate Kim.”

I nodded my thanks and walked up the stairs to the room that she had told me. I leaned against the door and heard, “what did he look like?” I took this as the perfect moment to walk in.

The girl I had followed had her back to me, and the other girl was familiar. She was the girl’s Asian friend, and she was just as shocked as I was, I could tell because her eyes got huge. She pointed at me and said unsure, “he looked just like him.” The tall girl turned around and nodded and then turned back. “Hayley,” the Asian said with an eyebrow raised, “that is him.”

“Oh,” she said turning around.

“Hello,” I said unsure, “your friend,” I pointed at her unable to fully articulate, “I’ve been looking for her for the past week.”

She turned to Hayley and stuck her tongue out, “I told you it was full proof, it’s the mystery.”

Hayley shook her head, “it’s not the mystery, it’s her.”

I stared at them confused as they continued to argue. “I’m sorry,” the asian said, “we are being rude, I’m Kim, this is Hayley and we can’t help you.”

“Why not,” I asked.

“My friend, she’s not that girl, it was a bet and I’m sorry you were on the raw end, but the glamour of the deal was that she’d never have to see or speak to you ever again, no awkwardness, no relationship, just one amazing kiss.” I just looked at her unsure.

“Yeah,” Hayley said, “I’m as surprised as you are that she went through with it.” She looked at me oddly, “it’s such a waste too, I definitely wouldn’t be able to kiss you and just walk away.” I was silent and Kim hit her. “If it’s any consolation,” she said, “the girl you’re looking for is psycho and cold and…”

“One of your best friends,” Kim chimed in. She looked at me, “my advice, forget her.”

“I’ve been trying to tell him that same thing,” Ricky walked into the room, “but he just won’t listen.” He walked over to her, “Richard Labarre,” then he smiled, “I’ve been a slave to his search for the past week, and you are?” He gave her a dazzling smile.

“Is this guy for real,” Hayley said.

“I’m afraid so,” I nodded my head.

Ricky waved me off and then continued, “I apologize for the inconvenience.” She smiled and nodded and then he continued, “I think I can pay you back for your time, say tomorrow evening at eight.” I hit him on the shoulder and he turned and glared.

“Yeah,” Kim said to all three of our surprise, probably even her own, “that sounds nice, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.”

We walked out and I hit him again and he gave me a half confused look, half guilty smile. “Dude,” I said, “you don’t even know her name.”

“I know she’s hot,” he said and before I had a chance he put his finger up and continued, “and she’s in a sorority, which means she’s a slut.” I laughed and shook my head. “And maybe I can find her friend, through her,” he put his arm out, “dude I am looking out for you.”