That Girl

Devin

I was just sitting in our apartment tossing a rubber ball against the ceiling, when Ricky came through the door. “I don’t know about you,” he looked at me as he threw his jacket aside, “but I had a great evening.”

The sarcasm was oozing out of my mouth as I said, “I’m so happy you had a good time.”

“Cheer up,” he said looking at me, “I did this for you.”

I gave him a blank expression, “excuse me if I don’t quite understand how your date is remotely helping my current situation.” I started to humor him, “is she setting me up with her Amazon friend," I smiled even bigger continuing. “Or is she so fantastic that your moving out, because it would really help if I didn’t have to deal with you anymore,” I sunk back into my bitterness.

“That hurt,” he said sitting down at his desk, “I just figured your girl has a facebook, and my new friendship with her friend might allow that.”

I brightened up and ran over to him, “dude you are a genius.”

“I’m glad you’ve finally acknowledged it,” he said getting to the page and when he did he leaned back. “Too bad Kim’s got a shit load of friends,” he stood up and patted my back, “good luck buddy.”

I took his seat and looked through the friend list; I opened up all the profile pictures that looked even remotely like the girl I remember. There was no way I was going to forget that face, those eyes. About two hours later, Ricky came back, “how’s the progress?”

I turned in the chair, “I have it narrowed down.” I opened up the two pages, “it’s either this girl or this girl.” The first had to be the one, she looked exactly as I remembered, but the second was very close. “I know this is her,” I pointed to her, “but I’m completely thrown, she’s not a student here, she goes to the community college.”

“Did you ever think she may have been visiting a friend,” Rick raised his brow.

“Not once,” I said, “it’s her for sure.” I exited the one page and opened up her pictures. The first one was her present profile picture, she had a plastic tiara on and she was in the grass in what seemed to be baseball or softball pants and a t-shirt.

Ricky nodded, “nice, I like the crown.” I went through the rest of her pictures one by one, all the pictures were either odd in either outfit or facial expression or both, and occasionally she had pictures with a friend. “Well, she’s a real character,” Ricky said unconvinced and at that moment I clicked into maybe her only normal picture, “but totally hot, you may have been right about this one.”

“What now,” I look at him.

He shrugs, “add her.”

“No,” I shook my head, “that is completely desperate.”

Ricky shrugged causing me to look at him and then he quickly took the mouse and sent the request. “There you go,” he said as I gave him a dissatisfied look, “now just wait for a while.”

It was only a matter of about two hours that she had accepted me as a friend. I found it shocking; it was a pleasant surprise after my class. I looked at her page taking in every detail on there, the tv shows she enjoyed, the odd assortments of movies she listed as favorites and the mainstream 80s listed in the music department. She was odd, completely different from most the girls I knew and then I looked at her relationship status to assure that this wasn’t a lost cause. It wasn’t and she worked at Rite Aid, there was no way of knowing which one, but it was a start. And her name was Sienna, I don’t know if it was just in my head, but at that moment I was convinced I had never heard a prettier name.

The longer I looked at her page, the more I wanted to actually know her. And the more I wanted to know her, the crazier I felt. It seemed like I was falling for this girl I hadn’t met, how crazy is that? This was bad, Facebook, adding her, it was all bad. There was no way this could be healthy, there was no way pining over a girl who hasn’t a clue of my existence was good. Despite that I kept looking through her page, I was crazy.

“Dude look,” Ricky said through his food and I turned as he pointed to the screen. I looked at him unsure and he rolled his eyes, “your girl, she’s on.”