Ghost

Two

Jesus my head hurt. It felt like a hangover times ten. I’ve had some pretty bad hangovers, but none like this.

Wait—what happened?

That’s when it hit me. I remembered what happened. Roman…gun fires…that cat woman and her great shoes... Where am I?

Bump.

Shit. I’m in a car. Seriously? What happened last night?

I got up from the floor of the car. I placed my ear to the front of the car. ‘What is this? A van? Jesus Christ, I’m in a molester car.’ I thought. I heard music, familiar music. Wait, is that Eminem? Yeah. That’s him.

“Will Smith don't gotta cuss in his raps to sell his records;
well I do, so fuck him and fuck you too!
You think I give a damn about a Grammy?
Half of you critics can't even stomach me, let alone stand me
"But Slim, what if you win, wouldn't it be weird?"
Why? So you guys could just lie to get me here?
So you can, sit me here next to Britney Spears?
Shit, Christina Aguilera better switch me chairs
so I can sit next to Carson Daly and Fred Durst
and hear 'em argue over who she gave head to first
You little bitch, put me on blast on MTV
"Yeah, he's cute, but I think he's married to Kim, hee-hee!”

“At least I know I’m dealing with white people…” I said to myself. I heard a few guys sing horribly to the chorus and laugh. ‘Are these the guys who saved me last night?’ I sure hoped so. I didn’t wanna be with that one woman. Shit, she scared the hell out of me.

“Hey man,” one of the guys said, I pressed my ear closer to the wall, “when was the last time we checked on that girl?” he asked. The music was turned down and no one answered. ‘How long have I been out?’ I thought. “Well, in a few minutes we’ll be home so we can check then.”

I looked around me to see if I could carry something with me just incase. My dad always taught me to have something handy with me. I thought it would take longer to get wherever we were going to but about five seconds later I felt the van come to a stop.
Shit.
I quickly laid down and played dead; Romans favorite game for me to play. The back door slid open and my grip around a sharp object grew tighter. I saw light flood everywhere from behind my eyes. Someone grabbed my ankles and pulled me gently and slowly towards them. I tried being as lifeless as I could be and not give myself away.

“How is she?” “Fine I guess. Looks like Zachary knocked her out pretty hard.” I heard two guys a few feet away say. “Hey, Caleb told me too, I swear.” Said the guy who was picking me up.

He’s strong… Wait, is this the dude who hit me? Dick…

“That’s what they all say…it’s okay Zachary, we all know your secret.” “Which one? I have many.” There was silence. “Uh, anyways.” I heard Zachary say awkwardly. “Alright, let’s take her inside. Boss is gonna wanna see this.” “She’s not a ‘this’. She’s a girl.” Zachary said sternly. “Why do you care?” “I don’t know...”

I felt myself being carried up some steps, then I felt my head hit against what felt like a doorway. Asshole…

“Shit…I bet that hurt…” ‘No shit..’ I thought. I was so not in the greatest mood. “Alright, just lay her down along the couch. I’ll go get boss and we’ll go from there.” “What if she wakes up?” “Then we’ll ask Zach to knock her out again!” I heard someone chuckle. “Shut up man…!” “If she wakes up just try and make sure she doesn’t go crazy.” Then I heard footsteps going up stairs.

I felt someone poke my arm and I tried my hardest not to swoosh it away. “Dakota, why are you poking her arm?” “I don’t know. I’m curious.” The boy named Dakota said. “Don’t go poking anywhere else, you hear?” Zachary said. “Just because you know you can’t doesn’t mean I can’t.” Dakota said laughing. “What’s that supposed to mean?” “It means I can get some before you.” He teased. “Yeah but guys don’t count!” Zachary said laughing.

‘That’s nice...’ I thought. I tried my hardest not to laugh as well.

Footsteps were heard coming down the steps and there were more than two people. Maybe about three or four pairs. “Hey boss.” “Sup’ big man.” was heard around me.
‘Who’s ‘boss?’’ I asked myself. “Hey.” I heard one pair of footsteps coming straight towards me. I remained lying down so still I felt like a statue. I felt a hand on my arm and at that exact moment I shot up with the sharp object in my hand and twisting the arm that touched me with the other. I opened my eyes to see a man with black hair, brown eyes, and a million guns pointed straight at me by various good looking men.

“Jesus Christ what have I gotten into this time?” I asked my self out loud. The sharp object appeared to be a pocket knife and it was against the mans’ throat.

“Let the man go and we won’t shoot!” I hear the voice of Dakota warn. “You better not shoot period!” I yelled back. I looked into the eyes if the man I was holding. He looked unafraid and untouched at what was going on. “Are you okay? Did they hurt you in any way?” was the first words from the man. I had to think about this…. “Um. I’m fine I guess. Some guy banged me on the head and then hit it again against something like, ten minutes ago. But other than that I’m fine. Thanks. I guess.” I said shortly. “Sorry about that.” I heard Zachary say. He was the second closest to me and also had a gun pointed at me against my back. “That hurt you know.” I said not turning around. “Yeah well, I had to do it. Get over it.” I rolled my eyes. “Whatever. Okay, let’s do this: I’ll let the guy go as long as you don’t shoot me, yeah?” I compromised. I heard everyone’s gun lower down and I let the guy go and took the knife from his neck.

“Sorry about that. I had to do the quickest thing…” I muttered to the guy. He nodded and accepted my totally crappy apology. It took me a few minutes to finally process in my mind that I was surrounded by a group of totally very handsome men.

If this weren’t a possible life and death situation, I’d totally ask to party with these guys, I thought to myself. I shifted my weight to my right leg and crossed my arms. What now…? Are they just going to stand there and stare at me? I hope their not all gay…That Zachary guy did say he had a lot of secrets…too bad. He sounded hot. The silence was bugging me and I felt like crap. I turned around and was about to walk the other way until I bumped into someone. I stepped back and someone else was behind me.

Great. Rape. Just my day…can’t I just go home? I need an asprin…or Tylenol. My head hurts too much to deal with cute guys right now…I want my mom and dad….plus I need to get going on that math homework. And that English project that’s due next Friday. Shit…

“Oh my god. You girls think too fast! Just shut up for one second!” I heard a man cry out loud. I spun around and looked at the guy who said that. He had short blonde hair and green eyes. “What the f—” I was cut off when someone grabbed me from behind and I felt a cloth around my eyes. I started kicking and punching and I think I even pulled someone’s hair a few times.

“Again with the sack! Get it off me!” I yelled while still kicking and pulling hair. I was lifted on someone’s back. “If you stop freaking out then we’ll take it off!”

That would sound amazing if I wasn’t being taken hostage.

“Take it off me and then I’ll stop.” I said. The guy under me stopped moving me and I felt the bag being taken off my head. I looked at who was under me and saw it was him. Zachary.
‘Jesus I’ve seen him to many times since I’ve been here.’ I thought. I simply looked away from him and looked around me. Some guys looked frustrated and some looked annoyed. “Look boss, I don’t think we’ve got time to be messing around with some foolish girl who has nothing to do with any of this. Can we just dump her somewhere and be done with it?” a guy I couldn’t see asked. I became instantly infuriated by his comment. “Excuse me?” I asked. I was so not afraid to get into a fight right now. If I could take my brother, I’m sure I could take one of these assholes.

“Hey, you do what I say, and I say you watch your mouth. Now you all go back to your original posts and wait until I tell you other wise. Dakota, Zachary, come with me. Take the young lady, will you Zachary?” the boss commanded. “Yes sir.” Then I felt him carry me up the stairs following ‘the boss’. “I can walk, it’s okay.” I murmured. “I can carry you.” “But I’m heavy.” I pouted. “If you were heavy do you think I’d be carrying you right now?” he asked sarcastically. “Hey, I’m trying to be friendly here, ass hole.” I spat back.

He said nothing. He finally let me down when we got to a door. The boss opened it and held it open for me to go in first. “After you, young lady.” I looked at him and to the room then back to him. I walked in and heard him tell Zachary to stay outside and Dakota to come inside. I saw Zachary take out a gun and hold it in a guarding position. Dakota did the same, only he came inside the room behind the other man.

I stood awkwardly in the middle of the room. The Dakota guy looked suddenly serious. “Please, sit.” the boss offered. I was hesitant at first. After a few moments I sat, knowing that standing in the middle of the room and being scared would get me no where. It wasn’t until I sat in the chair was when I first started to look at my surroundings and the people in the room with me.

Boss looked to be about maybe a man in his late twenties, early thirties. Well, maybe not even in his thirties. His hair was short and black, maybe even spiky. His eyes were brown and big, and maybe even narrow. They were an odd shape, nothing I had ever seen in someone. He was very slim and tall but somewhat muscular; very mature. Indeed, a very handsome, mature man. The kind of man you’d catch playing some kind of graceful instrument like a piano or violin. Something beautiful. Wait, why did I even think of that?

He looked so serious. Like he was on edge. He had that sense of power to him. Kind, but strict is what I thought of. But he also looked like he had that dark side to him. The kind that you really don’t want to mess with because you know you wouldn’t stand a chance against. That’s just the kind of vibe I got from him… He seemed very charming too. I had never heard the words ‘young lady’ come from someone unless someone was yelling at me. Which didn’t happen very much. I wonder what his real name is…

“You look un-easy.” He said while taking out a few file folders and clicking a pen. “So you noticed….” I mumbled. He stared at me for a few minutes until he finally replied. “That’s understandable. I would be too if I was a fifteen year old girl in your situation. Not knowing what’s going on, scared.” He described. “Surrounded by hot men…” I added quietly to myself. “I’m sorry? I didn’t catch that.” He asked. “I didn’t say anything.” I lied, poker facing. He looked confused for a second then continued to talk. “Then again, I’m not a fifteen year old girl, and I’m not surrounded by hot men.” He said chuckling and looking at me. I rolled my eyes and blushed. “So you caught that…” I said. “Mhm.” He said smiling gently. I nodded and looked away from him. Great. He probably thinks I’m some hoe now. Wonderful.

“May I ask your name?” he asked. Again, I was hesitant. He saw the hesitation in my face. “…do I have to tell you?” I asked. He was quiet. “Well, maybe not yet.” He decided.

-Awkward Silence-

“I suppose you want something to drink?” he asked. It was then I noticed my throat was dry. I nodded slowly. “Dakota, can you ask Zachary to get her a cup of water please?” I hadn’t turned around to see him but I heard him open the door. “Hey man, go get a cup of water.” “Alright.”

The attention was now brought back to me. “Feel free to ask me a question.” He offered. Thank God. I have so many! I thought. “Where am I?” seemed like the logical one to ask right about now. “A house. Now, my turn to ask you something.” He said sitting up at the edge of his chair. ‘Great. He likes to play the tricky games.’ I thought. “Why were you there last night? Why were you in the middle of that? Why did my men find the woman holding a gun to your head when they went in?” he asked all at once. “Whoa dude! Calm down! You said a question, not questions!” I said. His mouth went into a straight line. I guess this was the dark side I figured he had. “What relation do you have with those people?” he asked. I guess that summed up all his questions.

That’s also when I realized the real reason for why I was even there in the first place: my brother. Maybe these people knew where he was. I could go, and get him back. Yes. That’s what I wanted to do. Get him back and bring him home.

I took in a deep breath after I made the start of my little plan. “Because he’s my brother.” I said finally. The boss looked a little taken aback. “Who is your brother?” “His name is Roman. He was the boy who was there.” I said. My face got straight and as serious as the boss. “He’s your brother?” he asked. I nodded. “Yes he is. And I want him back.” I said. “Were you two close?” he asked. “Yes we are.” I said; he made it sound like Roman was dead. Boss looked at me apologetically and stayed quiet for a few minutes. “And you want to get him back?” he confirmed. “Yes.”

He was quiet for about five minutes until the door opened with Zachary and my cup of water. Dakota took it from him, shut the door and handed it to me. I took a big gulp out of it and then sat it down. I waited until he had something to say. “You know, there’s about a fifteen percent out if one hundred chance of you getting your brother back from those people, right?” he said looking straight into my eyes. I shrugged. “Anything to get him back.” I whispered. “Make sure they don’t hear you say that.” He warned. “Who?” “The one’s who took him.” He then got up from his seat and walked to a filing cabinet that was against the wall. He looked for a few minutes and took out a folder. I almost gasped when I saw the name on it- Roman Walker. My brother.

My eyes went wide. “Can I look at that?” I asked not letting my eyes off that folder. “I’m sorry, I can’t do that.” He said. “Said who?” “Me. I’m the one in charge.” He said looking at me. “Look, I’m sorry at what your going through, I really am,” I rolled my eyes and leaned back in my chair. “but there isn’t much we can do. Well, not we. Just you. Obviously you’re not apart of what your brother is and unfortunately your brother went hanging around the wrong crowd. And even more unfortunately, that crowd is our worst enemy. So, we wouldn’t be able to help even if we wanted to.” He said finally. I thought a minute. “But there’s got to be a loop hole through it all!” I said. That’s when I realized that these people could only be my only hope of really getting him back.

“I’m sorry…” he repeated. Tears started forming and I became desperate. “No, please. You have to help me. You guys are probably the only ones who can…you’ve got to…” I muttered. He stood up and walked to me. He placed a gently hand on my shoulder. “Go home…” he said. I felt like breaking down. He walked away to the door and walked outside. I felt Dakota walk over to me while I kept my eyes on the ground. “C’mon. One of us will take you home.” He said. He offered his hand in front of me in gesture for me to take it. I gave up. I took his hand and he led me down stairs – un-forcefully- as Zachary walked along behind us. When we got downstairs I tried my hardest not to look up at everyone.

‘Jesus. I must look like a moron. I come here, try to look all bad ass and shit and now I look like some defenseless little girl crying. How embarrassing.’ I thought shamefully. “Need to use that restroom?” Dakota asked. I thought and then nodded yes. He took me to a door in a hallway and said that was the bathroom. I walked in and to my surprise it was very clean. Not even Roman could keep our bathroom that clean. If I went to a friends’ house and stayed the night, the next day I’d go home and it was a complete wreck.

I took that time to collect myself. I ran my hands through warm water and washed my face. Damn I looked like crap. ‘Come on Romana, think! You have to pull yourself together…there has to be another way to get him back. These guys shouldn’t be your only hope. That folder…I gotta get that folder. Maybe it has something that’s useful. It did look pretty thick... So that’s what I need as of right now then. That folder. But how am I supposed to get it? I can’t right now, that’s obvious.” I stood at the sink thinking. Then it hit me: ‘I’ll have to come back! I just have to find the address.’ I washed my face again, dried it with a towel that I hoped and preyed to God was clean, and un-locked the door. Dakota was standing outside, waiting for me. He led me outside the house to where Zachary was waiting in the car. I wondered how I was going to look up the address.

“You aren’t going to give us any trouble, right?” he asked. I pretended not to have energy. “No. Just take me home.” I said. He let me sit in the back seat instead of the very back and they both sat up front. I took that opportunity to take a look at the surroundings. I saw dead grass, a mailbox, three cars and about ten dead trees. No wonder men shouldn’t live without women, their house ends up looking like its empty.

Wait! There it is. Thank God I have photographic memory, I thought once I found the house number. I took a look at the street address and started repeating it to myself. It was quiet. I didn’t recognize the neighborhood we were in. There were so many huge houses, I was beginning to think these guys were rich. Me and my family had a crummy three bedroom and two bath house. These houses made my house look like a box.

Where were we anyways? A different city? A different state? I was scared to find out. I felt my eyes start to feel heavy. I couldn’t keep them open by now. I rested my head against the window and closed them. The warm window felt good on my face, I was so cold. I hugged myself and let myself sleep.