Status: Active

The Breed

I

The lights blurred, creating a new sense of reality. She felt weightless; slowly her peers began to fade out into hazy silhouettes. All of a sudden the weight of her head on her shoulders became too much, she struggled momentarily to keep her eyes open, before giving in and fading out.

“Rena!” Noises flooded her ears, making her eardrums pound. Like heavy bass she heard every syllable echo throughout her weary mind. She tried to command her eyes to open, but she had lost control of her motor functions.

“Rena!” The voice was familiar, a voice she had most certainly heard before. A voice she wanted to hear.

She fought to open her mouth, able to move it only impishly. She heard dull thuds fading out and then in. As they approached again the warm voice began to speak again. “See, nurse she’s opened her mouth. She’s in there, is there anything you can do?”

Whoever he was, he was certainly worried. Rena desired to fight harder, to move.

A fluid female began to speak. “Honey, I mean it’s something, but it’s not monumental. We already were pretty sure she’d come out of it.”

Rena didn’t like this woman. She tried to think but her brain was comatose, she felt trapped. “He-,” She tried to speak, but her vocal chords didn’t make a sound. “Hel-,” She attempted again, not even a whisper. “Help.” She heard herself, she had spoken. Her mouth moved, the corners turning upwards. A grin.

“Rena!” Her head shook, with the amplified copy of the voice. “Rena, baby, open your eyes.” She felt something warm touch her icy veins, the warmth seemed to spread, trickling up her arm, sliding over her shoulder, and up her neck. It hit her brain and she gasped jolting upwards.
Immediately she covered her eyes, the pastel white walls reflecting the bright lights onto her weakened retinas. She blinked incessantly her pupils adjusting to the illumination.

She was able to finally see, light flooded down from lofty ceiling lights. A room was sectioned off with a soft-hued blue curtain, attached to a rail at the roof with large steel rings. It drew up about a foot off the linoleum tile floor. She was sat in a large plastic bed, on wheels, with various buttons. She was covered in thin white cotton blankets, propped up on what felt like 5 or 6 pillows. She turned to the right and saw a long-necked television monitor, that showed an elevating and declining line, beeping with each new mountain. In the corner numbers appeared. A wire hung out the side, Rena’s eyes followed it to a small splint-shaped contraption on her pointer finger.

Rena turned to the left. And saw a boy. A familiar boy. Dusty brown hair, brown eyes, broad jaw line, defined cheek-bones. The accustomed line of his lips pursed together. He had his eyes closed, his hand skimming Rena’s.

“Damien.” She spoke, finding her mind.

His eyes sprung open, and he stared eagerly. “Rena!” He smiled his dull eyes now full of life. He leaned into her, delicately placing his thin lips on her cheek, and lacing his muscular arms around her thin frame.

“What Happened?”

He looked carefully over her. “They think it was poison.” His deep eyes tracing around her for any obvious signs of damage. “You passed out, during the Acolt Gathering. Your friend Quest drove you to the Hillsboro Infirmary.”

“That’s hours away from Lansdale. Why didn’t I stay there?”

“Quest insisted you seek help from Healer Firietta Margarette Honeyblossom."

“Healer Maggie!” A warm grim turned across her face.

“What?” called a dainty voice. A short thin red haired, smock-clad woman pushed the closed curtain wall aside, her eyes popping at the sight of Rena functioning normally. She began unplugging various medical instruments and jotting down various information on a static board.

“I’m sorry dear, I’m busy, with the riots and all. I’ll have to catch up with you later.
Im mighty glad you are faring well. But I really do need the extra bed. You feel alright?” Maggie stepped up a three-rung step ladder and placed the back of her hand against Rena’s
forehead. “You look good, rest a lot, drink a lot of liquids, if you start to feign ill, call me.” She smiled curtsing and leaving in a clean fashion.

Damien placed his hand behind Rena’s back, pressing lightly to help her sit up. Rena thrust herself forward and immediately regretted it. Head rush, she was lost in black again, though thistime it lasted only moments. She shook it off and swung her legs over the bed.

Damien wrapped his arms around her as she attempted for the first time to stand, wobbly but okay. She steadied herself and shooed Damien off. He left through the curtain, and Rena changed. Dropping the flimsy cotton gown for a pair of nice jeans and a GAP T-shirt.

She walked out, leaning on Damien as a pre-caution.

“What riots Damien? What’s going on? How long was I out?” The loghts beyond the doors were overwhelming and Rena’s knees gave in dropping down to a crouch. Damien met her down there.

“Your Dad is eager to see you, I’m sure he’ll inform you. C’mon lets get you home.” He wrapped his ams around her pulling her up and handing a ticket to the valet.

Moments later a uniformed man pulled up in Damiens red Camaro.

Damien helped her into the passenger seat.

He fixed to put the top back on. He put his key in the ignition and started slowly driving off.

The smell of leather filled Rena’s nose, and the smooth texture felt nice against her palms. She gazed out her window as trees flew by, and at the first stoplight was a distressed sign that read “Welcome to Sadaria Pennsylvania! Population ---.”
Sadaria was a secret place, to the likes of the human race. Hidden right before their eyes. It was a kind of sanctuary for the special few that were extraordinary. The few that were myths and tales to the human population. Vampires, werewolves, faeries, and many many more lived in Sadaria. Not always did they get along, hardly ever but the Acolt always tried to keep the peace.
The car started again and Rena recognized her street. At the top of a hill slowly going down were house upon house stacked side by side, most inhabited by faeries, like herself.

At the base of the hill was a formal blue house, with white shutters ans a gold crown painted on the roof, acknowledging her royal stance. Damien parked in front.

He unfastened his seatbelt and got out, helping Rena out of the car, hooking her elbow in his and guiding her safely to her door. He pressed on the door and it opened. Everyone that was gathered at her house turned to see her, her father stood, fixing his tie straight.

Rena shrugged Damien away and walked around her father, sitting on her worn couch beside her caretaker Artemis. She leaned on Artemis. Artemis held her arm around Rena.

“How are you?” Artemis’ green eyes met Rena’s

“I don’t know, I don’t know what happened.” Rena took time to identify everyone, sat on the floor was a young woman, pale white hair with pastel purple tips. Ginny, Rena thought, my cousin Ginny.

Beside Ginny was Derik, Ginny’s fiancé. Derik was blonde, masculine, destined to fight for the royal guard when he was evaluated as ready.

Rena searched over the room carefully for another blonde boy.

“Where is Avian?” Rena felt worry creep up her throat.

“He’s upstairs baby, Ginny, go tell Avian his sister’s okay.” Artemis directed.
Ginny stood.

“No, please, can I go see him.” Rena sat up leaning back against the couch.

“If you think you can. Do you need help?”

Rena nodded, Artemis stood before her, pulling her up by her hands. Rena was wobbly, leaning fully on Artemis. Artemis guided her upstairs, to the third door in the hallway. Artemis knoekced.

“Who is it?”

Rena knew that voice better than enyone elses. She pushed the door open in excitement, falling into the floor.

“Ow.” She cried and felt soft hands on her arms.

“Rena?” It was Avian.

Rena felt tears stream down her face as she wrapped her feeble arms around her brother.
“Why are you crying you loser?” Avian smiled helping Rena up. Rena saw Artemis had gone and she wiped her eyes.

“What's wrong Rena?” Worry festered in his blue eyes.

“I don’t remember anything from that night, I thought something happened to you. You know how much you mean to me Avian. I was so scared.” Rena smiled.

“I’m not a baby anymore Rim, I love you too but y’know Chevy is worried.” Avian grimaced, his pale lips pursed in a straight line and his eyes grew smaller.

“You know I’d rather be with you, he abandoned us Avian, we’re all we have, he can’t just show up for birthdays, and when one of us is injured and call himself a father. That’s not okay.” Rena looked around, Avian’s room had changed.

As opposed to the green dinosaur room, now he had a navy man cave. The walls were lined with desks. One had a desktop computer, one books, and one a television on pause. His capet was white.

“What happened that night Avian?”

“They found him.” Avian looked down, at his sheets.

“Him, him?”

Avian nodded. Rena’s mouth fell open.

“Who is he? Do they have him? What’s going to happen?” Rena brushed her hair back.

“Babe, you just woke up maybe now isn’t the best time.” Avian said grabbing Rena’s small hand.

“It’s my mom Avian, tell me.”

“His name was Remi DeVreaux, Child of Blood. The Acolt has him, he is set to be flogged in the square in a few days.”

Rena felt sobs climb up her esophagaus and she fell into her brothers arms crying. His hands rubbed her back.

“What are you thinking Rim, why are you crying?”

“It’s over, it’s just hard, she’s finally at rest. I miss her Avian.”

“Me too baby.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Re wrote the whole begining, started second editing process, anyone who read before, it is a LOT better now.