‹ Prequel: The Middle
Status: just starting up...

For All I Know

And now as I try to forget you, it doesn't work out any way

I didn’t know why Nat had talked me into it, but I found myself standing in the one place I didn’t think I’d even step foot in again for quite some time.

“Why did you have to bring me here?” I turned to Nat. She shrugged her shoulders.

“Well, it’s been almost a week and whether you think I can see it or not, I knew you can’t stop thinking about him.”

I looked at her with wide eyes. “So, you thought bringing me to the United Center to watch him play would cure me? Seriously, what planet do you come from?”

She shook her head, “you know, it’s funny. I never said who it was, but hey, that just proves why we have to be here.”

“I still don’t get it.” I said as we walked through the arena, trying to find our seats. “Why do you think being here is going to help or solve anything?”

She shrugged her shoulders. “Well, really, I don’t, but I do know that you want to be here, even though you won’t admit it.”

I looked around the arena. Taking in the scenery, the fans, the rink, the sounds. I had to admit, I did want to come back. Ever since I came to see the Hawks play with Ryan, I had thought about coming back. I didn’t want to admit it, but I missed it. When I looked back at Nat, I feared that she could see it on my face. I found our seats, which thankfully, were far enough away from the bench that my presence won’t be noticed by the players, but close enough that I could feel like I was on top of the action. Nat and I sat down and went through our purses, and indulged in the snacks we snuck into the arena. Nat chuckled at me as she saw me pull out a big bag of M&M’s.

“You know, you would think after working in this arena, you would like to support them by buying some of their snacks.”

I shrugged my shoulders and opened the bag. “Well, they don’t sell this size of bag. This is what I wanted so, done and done.”

Nat rolled her eyes and opened her bottle of Iced Tea. She took a sip then placed a hand on my arm. I looked over at her, my hand deep in my M&M’s. She began to stand up and I got the message. I put my snack in my bag and followed suit. I could feel the atmosphere shake as the anthem started. Nothing compared to the anthem in the United Center. As the anthem wrapped up, I found myself still standing as the Hawks took to the ice. I spotted the jersey donning the number 88, and my eyes were stuck. I didn’t know what was taken over me, but I felt a smile form on my face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pat’s POV

I was playing well, better than I did the first couple of months of the season. I didn’t know what it was, but I wasn’t complaining. Coach was happy with me and the boys weren’t breathing down my neck. I got off the ice after a long shift, and sat beside Sharpie.

“So, I guess seeing her worked, eh?” I turned to him, making sure he was talking to me before I answered.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He rolled his eyes at my reply.

“Peeks, come on, Tazer told me. You saw Claire at the hospital.” I dropped my head and looked at my skates. He nudged me with his elbow. “So, what did you say to her? Jonny never mentioned what the conversation was.”

I shrugged my shoulders. “We didn’t talk.”

Sharpie looked at me with wide eyes. Before he could say something, I spoke up. “No, we didn’t have make-up sex at the hospital, Sharpie. Get your mind out of the gutter. Jon pulled me out of the cafeteria before I could say two words to her.”

Sharpie leaned back and nodded. “I still say it worked.”

I looked over at him and then shook my head. I wasn’t sure if I should believe him, but timing did add up and it did certainly seem that way. I looked over at the visitor’s bench. I couldn’t help but scowl. I saw the helmet of the main reason as to why I’m no longer with Claire.

Fuckin’ Staal

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Claire’s POV

I watched the Hawks beat the Pens, 4-3. I was happy for the home team, but a part of me was hoping the Pens would come back in the third and win it. Nat and I stayed in our seats for a bit while the place cleared out. I didn’t know why I stayed in the arena, but I just loved the atmosphere and wanted to relish in it just a little while longer. When we stood up, I heard my phone go off. Pulling it out of my purse, I saw that it was Jordan. My eyes widened. I hadn’t spoken to him much since I left Pittsburgh. I opened the message and read it.

Hey, you in Chi?

I rolled my eyes. Where else would I be? I thought. I texted a reply with a lone “yepp.” It didn’t take him long to respond.

You up for some company? The boy are going out and we want you to come.

I looked over at Nat. She was giving me a small smirk. I rolled my eyes at her.

“It’s not him. It’s Jordan. He wants to know if I want to go out with the team tonight.”

She shrugged her shoulders. “Well, it’s up to you.”

An idea popped off in my head. “If I go, will you come with me?”

Her eyes almost bugged out of her head. “What? Why do I have to come with you?”

“I never said you had to,” I defended. “I was just asking. I haven’t seen him in a while and it would be nice to go out.”

She thought about it for a minute. “I’m not really in the mood to go out, but I do agree with you. You do need to go out. You should have fun.”

I smiled and nodded. I did need to go out. I needed to have fun. I began to forget what having fun felt like since Ryan died, and having Jordan in town for a little while would help that. I looked back down at my phone and typed out a short reply.

You still in the arena?

I looped my arm through Nat’s. We walked out through the arena and before we reached the doors, my phone went off again.

Yeah, we are. Did you go to the game?

I smiled and looked over at Nat. “I won’t need a ride back. I’ll just get a ride with one of the boys.”

She smiled at nodded. “Okay, let me know how it goes in the morning.”

I shook my head with a smile and responded to Jordan.

In the parking lot.

I stood out in the parking lot, waiting by the side entrances where I saw some of the Pens come out . It didn’t take long for a tall blonde to walk through the doors. He spotted me and his face broke out with a grin. I walked up to him and pulled him in for a hug.

“I’ve missed you.” He smiled down at me.

“Ditto. So, where to?” He shrugged his shoulders.

“Not sure, gotta wait for the text from Geno. He’s making the plans tonight.” He looked over my shoulder, around the parking lot. “You bring your car?”

I shook my head. “No, my friend brought me. So, you’re my chauffeur for the night.”

He smiled and wrapped his arm around my shoulder and walked me over to his car. “Okay well, let’s head to the hotel first so I can change, then hopefully Geno will know where we’re going by then.”

I nodded and followed him, ready to take on the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pat’s POV

The boys and I went to celebrate our win. We ended up at this new club called Sharkey’s. We were escorted right to the VIP lounge. I looked around the club, surveying the people on the dancefloor, when I felt a hand clap on my shoulder.

“What you looking at , Kaner?” I looked over my shoulder and saw Carcillo with a smirk on his face. “Checking out the tail for the evening?”

I rolled my eyes. “No, I’m just looking. I don’t think I’ll be taking anyone home tonight. I just want to drink and hang out.”

Dan let out a heavy sigh. “Man, you gotta let that dame go. She’s obviously not coming back to you. Look at the girls dancing? Any of them would love to go home with you. Come on, live a little.”

I shrugged my shoulders, telling him I’d think about it. I didn’t really feel up to it, but I had hoped he would leave me alone. Thankfully, he walked away and made his way to the dance floor with Stalberg and Leddy. I walked over to the couch and slumped down. I grabbed a beer off of the table beside me and decided to just bask in the in enormous amounts of alcohol around me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Claire’s POV

Geno had decided on us going to a new club that just opened up, Sharkey’s. I was excited to let loose a little bit. I felt a little over dressed, but happy that I didn’t have time to go home. I knew that if I had gone home, I would’ve found a reason to stay home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had downed about 3 beers and was slowly making my way through the club to get myself another drink. I walked up to the bar and waited for the bartender to take my order. If I were to take a number, judging by how many people were standing by the bar, I’d be about 15th in line. I turned, so I was facing towards the dancefloor, with my elbow on the bar. I laughed, seeing a drunken Geno attempting to dance with a girl who made Snooki look like a giant. I felt a tap on my arm. Turning my head, I saw the bartender looking at me. I placed my order, deciding against ordering Jordan another drink, seeing as he was about to fall over. I paid for my drink, grabbed the bottle and began to walk towards the end of the bar to grab a plastic cup. I accidently elbowed someone as I reached to grab a cup.

“Oh,” I turned to face them. “I’m sorry. I---“ I stopped mid sentence as the person looked up at me.His eyes met mine and I felt all the thought drain from my mind.

“Pat….”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sooo sorry for bringing back Jordan. Especially after the trade today, I felt my heart break while I wrote this. I know I said that I would have them talk in this chapter, but I have another idea of where this is going to go. Hopefully, you guys will stay with me.

A BIG thank you to those who have recommended this and all of the comments. You guys are amazing.

Keep 'em coming.

steph <3

PS the chapter title is from the Bee Gees' song "I Can't See Nobody"