The Devil’s Chivalry

Two

I jolted upright in my bed feeling my heart beat wildly in my chest making me grasp onto my shirt tightly. As I breathed heavily from my bed my eyes darted around the room looking for the source of my terrors, as if it was watching me from one of the dark corners. Fear pumped through me as I pushed myself over the cover and kneeled on my bed peering into the dark. Like my nightmares I can hear that demonic chuckle echo around my room in places that could only been seen with night vision. “Where are you?!” I screamed feeling tears well up in my eyes. Reaching out to my night stand I took hold of something and threw it into the darkness in attempt to injury the accursed phantom.

“Miss!” a maid yelled as she threw my door open just as a small vase shattered beside the door frame. “My God! Miss what’s wrong? Your screams are waking the whole house!” the elderly woman ran over to my bed side cupping my face with both hands. “Darling, you’re shaking,” she moved back from me and the lights went on, “dear me, you’re soaked to the bone.” She returned to my side, “come. You need a shower and then you’ll calm down.” I nodded and followed her to my bathroom without protest feeling the need to give myself a good scrub. Even in my dreams I can still feel the horror that was my twelve year old self. “Miss,” I snapped back to reality and looked at the elderly maid and then the shower that was on behind her. “I shall prepare your uniform so please, discard your clothes and I will return to take them.” She smiled before exiting the bath.

Without wasting a second I stripped and jumped into the shower feeling the cold water hit me. Unlike most people I don’t shower in hot water since I feel I got enough heat as a child to last a lifetime. Grabbing my sponge I scrubbed my skin hard that it turned red in some places, but it still didn’t make me satisfied. The feel of unwanted fingers still lingered on my skin causing a small vomit crawl up my throat, but I manage to push it down. ’He isn’t here,’ I reminded myself as I leaned against the shower tiles, ‘He’s far, far away. In a place where he can’t touch me,’ The thought danced in my head.

Entertaining the reassuring thoughts in my head I felt myself calm down. With a push off the wall I went under the water, soaking my hair.

“Miss,” I heard the maid, “have you calm down?”

“Yes,” I replied while grabbing the shampoo, “I’ll be out in ten minutes.”

“I’ll have everything ready in time,” I heard her respond, “do you wish for music?”

“Yes please,” I heard my iHome turn on and then I listen to the door close. As I lathered my hair I listened to ‘Hurricane, by Thirty Seconds to Mars,’ play. When the piano began I felt my fingers move as if keys laid below them upon my scalp. I don’t know what it is about this song, but it has to be my favorite.

“Do you really want me dead? Or alive to torture for my sins?”

I mouthed the words pausing on ‘sins,’ when something went slid down my face. Tears mixed with the shower as my nightmare flooded back to me. Why is it that I can never find peace?

After my shower I got dressed and joined my mother and sister at the breakfast table, my father wasn’t present making me believe he left early. It isn’t the first time he’d leave early, but I digress. I sat at the table and looked at my mother who slowly ate the little food on her plate as she spoke with Raquel. The staff stood by the walls waiting to be called upon at a moment’s notice, but something was off. Every time I looked at a maid or butler their eyes averted away from me. After some time I stood from my seat, figuring no one was going to serve me, and made my way to the kitchen. Though it was in vain as the moment I walked through the doors I was pushed right back out by the cook.

“What the hell?” I mumbled as I turned to walk down the hall, but paused in my step as I face my sister.

She looked down at her nails, “why’d you go into the kitchen Ver? Didn’t you eat at the table?” Raquel smirked as he placed the hand she was inspecting on her waist. I bit back a nasty comment and glared at her, “Oh, is someone mad?” she smirked at me. Looking past I her started to walk forward and went right by her as I made my way outside. The black car that takes me to school was parked in the front and as I stormed out to it I could see Samuel sitting in the back.

Sliding into the back seat I slammed the door shut and grabbed my school bag from Samuel somewhat viciously.

“Anything you wish to share?” Samuel asked sitting next to me, “drive. We’re going to be late,” he said to the driver. “So? Spill.”

I crossed my arms, “that bitch told the staff to not serve me breakfast. Even when I went into the kitchen I was shooed out like some kind of infested animal. I bet this is her way of punishing me for my outburst last night.”

He shook his head, “you mother definitely knows how to get to you and me. What am I to do if you faint in school? You can’t run of fumes especially with the medication you’re on. It’s too strong to have in your system without food.” I looked at him as he stared down the floor, a glint of anger in his brown eyes. “We’ll stop by somewhere and have breakfast.”

“No!” I snapped making him look at me, “I don’t want to late.”

“But.”

“No,” I shook my head, “I’ll find something to eat at school.”

He locked eyes with me and shot a hard stare, “you promise you’ll eat something the moment you enter the building?” I nodded giving him a smile. “Fine,” he sighed and then pulled his suitcase to him, “then take these,” he said around in the leather bag before revealing a handful of suckers. “Just a little something to hold you over for the moment,” my smile grew as I took the lollipops. Quickly I started un-wrapping the cherry when I heard him laugh, “Sometimes you act just like a child.”

My smile faltered as I sat back in my spot, “Samuel… last night. What happened after I took the medicine?” Most nights I don’t remember what goes on after I pop a pill.

I listened to him hum, “well I said goodnight, left the room and then went back to the study to pick up some papers. I also organized the room a bit, took me about twenty minutes, and then I checked on you before I left the house.” I nodded as I stuck the candy in my mouth. For some odd reason I feel like I’m forgetting something.

Image


Harte Crest Academy is a school for prestigious families. As it is the campus is broken up into four sections, the elementary grounds, middle school/junior high grounds, high school grounds, and then the college campus. The school is pretty big, and I haven’t even mention the dorms that are behind the school, so yes, this place is gigantic. The Academy is what you call an elevator school; you start in preschool and go all the way to college. So that would mean I’ve been with the same group of people since day one, and trust me, they aren’t all that great. My distaste in waving money bothers the ones that like buying the newest toys. So one can imagine how, ‘popular,’ I must be among my classmates. Whereas I’m infamous, my sister is the famous one with tons of friends, boys following her, and… well I can’t say much about her grades. That’s where I succeed.

“Veronica,” I heard a voice say in front of me causing me to blink a couple of times. “What happened? You completely zoned out in the middle of the story.” My closet friend, Rayne said sitting beside me on the stone bench. I gave her a sheepish grin when my stomach made a dying whale like noise, “I thought you said you weren’t hungry?”

“Don’t worry about it,” I pulled out one of the lollipops Samuel gave me and popped it into my mouth after unwrapping it. In truth I haven’t eaten at all yet, and it kills me since its past one o’clock. Well, that isn’t the only thing killing me, as it turns out the medicine did a number on me and I dry heaved last night’s dinner during second period. I was going to buy something during lunch, but it would have appeared my mother went fishing in my wallet while I slept this morning. Not only is she depriving me of food in my own home, but at school as well. She’s just the busy little harpy isn’t she? While cursing my mother out in my head I heard my stomach growl causing Rayne to get up and stand in front of me. Her five foot five inches stature gave a defiant stance and her face a look of disapproval.

Rayne Santos is one of few, and I do mean very few, people that I can call a friend, hell, she’s my best friend. She’s humble, smart as a whip, and very considerate of others, that is, if they deserve her kindness. Beyond that’s she’s the only one attending the school that doesn’t come from money, meaning she is a scholarship student. Not many people gave her the proper respect she deserves because of the whole money issues at first, but when she ranked first in our class… well, let’s say my fellow students were singing a different tone. Requests for tutoring came flying to her, as well as challenges from the class’s number two, Gregory Cornell. First it he declared he’d beat her in the next exam, and when he didn’t he’d say he’d beat her in the following one. It became an endless cycle that slowly it went from exam challenges to challenges in gym class, cards, and just about anything he could think of.

I wanted to laugh at my Spanish, Asian friend. She may have a light tan completion and a Latina look, but she’s short and when she’s frustrated she mumbles in Japanese. I watched as she balled her hands at her sides and mumbled to herself. A laugh was bubbling to come out, but I held my tongue, “Veronica you need to eat something. Your stomach is screaming that.” She pointed to my stomach.

I opened my mouth about to say something when the bushes rustled behind me and a familiar looking guy emerged. “I agree with shorty over there,” the guy from the piano room said before taking the empty spot next to me. “I heard that thing from all the way back there,” he hiked his thumb behind him.

I narrowed my eyes at him behind my messy fringe, “go away.”

He looked away and put his index finger to his right temple, “um, no,” he pointed to me as well as shot me a smile. “Beside what kind of man would I be if I let a lady go hungry on my watch?”

“I’m sorry, but last time I checked I was an honor student, not a loose girl for you to hit on,” I said point blank to which he deadpanned. Looking back at Rayne I stood up, took her hand, and started walking away from the nameless guy.

“Veronica,” Rayne hissed, “do you know who you were talking to?”

“Does it matter?” I continued to tug her along.

“That was a college student! Didn’t you notice the difference in his uniform?”

I stopped in my tracks and looked at her, “no.” I said slowly and bit my bottom lip nervously. When it comes to older guys I don’t exactly have a good track record. I let go of Rayne’s hand, walked over to the fountain and sat on the ledge. Part of me wondered if I should apologize to him, but that was a short lived thought. There is a perfectly good reason why I don’t get close to guys, especially older ones that… indulge in sexual activities. Gritting my teeth I eyed my friend, “I don’t care. You know I don’t care to be around frivolous guys.”

She nodded, “still…”

“I’m not apologizing, I’ve done nothing wrong.” Okay, I’ll admit I sound like a child, but that doesn’t change my resolve.

Rayne scowled at me, “my gosh, Ver. Why must you be so stubborn?”

I gave her a cheeky smile before sticking my tongue out to which she laughed. A smile formed on my lips, but it didn’t last long as I caught a rather annoying person approach us. Raquel along with three other girls came up from behind Rayne, but Rayne was standing in Raquel’s way. I don’t know if it’s because my sister is stupid or just plain conceded but she roughly grabbed Rayne’s shoulder and shoved her.

Rayne stumbled a bit before catching herself so not to fall to the ground. “Don’t touch my friends,” I growled at her.

Raquel smirked at me, “so Ver. How was lunch? I know you must have loved the food today.”

I pulled out my once lollipop now chewed stick, “It was delicious,” I flicked the stick at her. She yelped and jumped away from it like it was some animal, “I love pineapple flavor.” I glared at her just waiting for her to walk away, “what do you want?”

“I had just gotten a text from Jordan,” she was talking about our cousin. “He wants to know if we’ll be going up to grandmother’s place for the three day weekend. Apparently other members of the family will be there.”

I can only imagine who will be there, “Go without me.” I snapped as I stood up, “I would rather eat glass.”

The girls behind Raquel gasped at how strong I am opposing the family gathering. If they knew the truth they probably wouldn’t attend it either.

“There you are!” I heard a male voice yell and suddenly the guy from earlier was stomping up to me. In his approach I heard the girls and my sister squeal making me shot them a confused look. I know Rayne said he is a college student, but why the squeals? Once he was close enough the girls pounced on him when I felt the ground shift from under me. Stumbling backwards I felt Rayne put a hand on my back to steady me. I could hear her ask if I was okay as I heard the name ‘Jude,’ being repeated across from me.

“What’s wrong?” Rayne asked, her voice laced with concern.

“Hey,” I looked at the guy and I swear there was three of him, “are you okay?” Once again I felt the ground shift. Falling backwards I felt my legs hit the fountain’s ledge when something wrapped around my wrist. Whatever it is, it’s huge compared to my small wrist and it’s also has quite the tight grip on me. Black spots filled my vision as the sky spun like a fast moving carousel. A strong arm wrapped around my waist and then everything went black when I felt the water.

It hurts.

I hear him huffing into my ear as pain radiated from my lower body with each thrust of his fingers. My mind wasn’t able to focus on anything in particular ever since he forced my mouth open and making me swallow something small. All I can tell is that my body feels hot and everywhere he touches me I feel some kind of weird tingles. Tingles down there, tingles on my chest, and tingles on my neck where he kisses me. I want to cry, I want him to stop, but every time he touches me a weird sound comes out of me.

“E-ddy,” I say my cousin’s name, “s-stop. I-I-I don’t like this.” I felt a sharp push making me yelp under him.

He chuckled moving from my neck to face me, “that’s what you say, but look at you Ver.” His hand moved away some strands of hair from my face, “you’re blushing madly, you’re moaning, and your body is simply slick waiting for me.” He got off me and moved off the bed before grabbing my legs and dragging me to the edge. I felt his hands spread open my legs and before I could ask what he was doing I felt something warm brush me down there. “God, Veronica,” I shivered feeling his breath on me; “you’re so perfect aren’t you?” I shook my head and then scream when something wet invaded me. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I watched the ceiling spin in front of me and listened to Eddy make weird noises. Some like the ones that came out of me and the others like slurps.

“S-Stop,” I manage to croak, “please.”

I felt him move away from me and then I saw him standing above me. I wanted to get up and run away, but whatever I swallowed didn’t let me move. “Stop? Why would I stop? The best part hasn’t even happened yet.” He came forward and fixed me on the bed so that my legs were spread open and propped up. “Do you want to know something Ver?” I shook my head, ‘no,’ when I felt him take my hand and bring it to something long and hard. “This is going to go all the way in that little pussy of yours.” My eyes widened at my cousin as I felt the thing’s size, “don’t worry,” he took my hand and kissed it, “I’ll make sure it fits completely inside you.”

I felt more tears come out as the thing touch me and then started moving forward in me. “S-STOP!” I screamed feeling like I was about to be ripped apart, “EDDY!” I screamed his name when it quickly moved in me making something inside break. I couldn’t stop screaming as he pulled out and then went back in at a fast pace. The faster he went the more pain I felt making me scream louder and louder. A part of me hoped someone would hear me and throw open the door to see Eddy on top of me, but I heard no footsteps. I would have thought my parents would rush in, but they left to a benefit for the evening and put Eddy in charge of me. As for Raquel, she was out at a sleepover and the staff had the night off. In the end it’s just the two of us.

“Come on Veronica,” I heard him grunt as he gripped my hips, “say it. Say my name!”

“No! Stop!”

I heard him grunt again and then his hands wrapped around my neck, giving a tight squeeze. “Say it Ver, I want to hear you say it. I love it when you call me.” Somehow with my lack of air I manage to whisper his name earning a mischievous smile. “That’s my girl,” he released me and then grabbed my hips tightly, “Shit, Veronica,” he hissed as something tight was forming in the pit of my stomach. “Oh fuck!” he yelled, “it’s like you’re swallowing me up. You love this don’t you? You’re holding me so fucking tight, Ver.” His paced picked up and then suddenly I was screaming and shaking on my bed feeling completely drained. Panting on my bed I felt him move out and crawl next to me, his hand stroking the left side of my face, “why?” He whispered and then kissed my temple. “Well I guess it doesn’t really matter.” Letting out a breath I felt the bed shift and heard him walk to my bathroom. Listening to the sound of the tub turn on I tried moving from my bed, just to fall to the floor. “Veronica!” I heard Eddy run from the bath to me. Not looking at him I let him pick me up and carry me to the bath where the two of us ended up sitting in warm water. “Time to clean you up,” he said lathering my arms from behind me.

My eyes locked on the water and his legs that framed mine. “Why’d you do that?” I whispered.

“Because you’re mine, Veronica,” he said and then kissed the back of my neck, “You belong only to me.”

“I-I’m going to tell,” I started to hiccup in his lap.

“No!” he suddenly yelled and gripped my arms, “you don’t tell anyone Veronica. This is just between you and me, our little secret.”

I started hyperventilating in his arms as he moved all my hair over my right shoulder, exposing the burns on the left side of my neck. Suddenly I felt even more self-conscious of myself causing a whimper to slip through my lips. “Stop, Eddy.”

He left out a sigh and ran his index finger down the length of the burn, from my neck and down my back. “Don’t you want to feel loved, Veronica?” he questioned me and then kissed the burn on my neck, “don’t you want to feel wanted?”

“This isn’t love Eddy.”

His lips traveled up behind my ear, “yes it is. You’re just too young to understand.”

“This isn’t the love I want,” I whimpered and then he turned me so to have me straddle him.

His grey eyes looked at me from under his matted down chocolate colored hair. “Veronica,” his voice was serious, “who’s older?”

“You are.”

“Who’s the young one?”

“I am.”

He nodded, “You are too young to understand what love is and what kind of love you want.” His right hand came up and cupped my chin making me look up. “So, as the oldest, I’ll just have to teach you,” and with that he bent down and kissed me on the lips. I shut my eyes trying not to focus on his disgusting touch when suddenly I felt nothing on me, but the new feel of a soft bed. Without much thought I ran my hands across it causing someone to catch their breath. Something lightly touched my shoulder and I could feel a presence above me. Panic took over my body and I shot upright only to collide my head against something hard. I hissed and laid back on the bed while the object I struck fell to the ground and let out a slew of profanities. Wait a second… I know that voice. While holding my head I peered over the side of the bed to notice the annoying guy from earlier lying on the floor holding his head.

He shuffled to a sitting position on the floor, hissing as he moved, before looking up to me. “What was that for?”

“I just don’t like people hovering over me,” I said eyeing his reddening forehead, “sorry.” I mumbled as softly and quickly as I could.

He mumbled something under his breath and got up, using the bed as a support. “Anyways,” he trailed off looking around the room that I now realize is the infirmary. Huh… wonder when I got here. I opened my mouth to ask him when I notice something different, his clothes. Before he was in his uniform and now he’s dressed in some grey sweats.

“Your clothes…”

He turned to look at me, then the sweatshirt, then me again, “well I wasn’t going to wear wet clothes.” I must have had a big question mark on my face cause he rolled his eyes. “I tried to keep you from falling in the fountain, but somehow the both of us ended up getting wet.” I widened my eyes and looked down to find myself in my gym clothes, “don’t worry. The nurse changed you.” My shoulders relaxed when he told me that. ”Which reminds me,” he walked behind the white curtain leaving me alone for a few moments before returning with a silver cart of food. “We don’t want a repeat of what just happened now, do we.” I nodded and reached out for what looked like a bowl of soup when suddenly it was snatched from me. “Nope, you need to tie that messy hair back before you get anything.” He stuck his right hand in his pocket and produced a hair tie, “now put this on.” He tossed it to me and it landed on my lap.

The only thing I did with the hair tie was eye it, “Do I have to?” I heard him say yes making me sigh. “Fine, but… but don’t stare.” A confused, ‘okay,’ came from him as then I pulled my hair back in a pony tail. I took in a deep breath and then looked at him to see give no reaction, granted he’s only on my right where as my scars are on my left. But I know he’s going to see them at some point. “It just hit me, but I never caught your name.”

He blinked a few times like this was a whole new experience for him. It looked like he zoned out for a bit, but once he regained focus a smile made its way onto his face. “The name’s Jude Skeffington.”

I raised an eyebrow, “Skeffington? That’s one unique last name.” He shrugged his shoulders, “Well Skeffington, would you mind passing that bowl of soup?” He laughed shaky his head to which his black hair bumped off his forehead.

Jude came closer to the bed and sat on the edge, “So-” he was cut off by a loud bang.

“What kind of brainless monkey are you?!” an angry Samuel yelled from somewhere in the infirmary. “I always thought you were incompetent, but God!” I cringed at the sound of Samuel’s loud tone, “For once, for once I’d like to see you grow a pair, Dominic. I mean you’re a grown man, what happened? Did they suddenly drop off?”

Dominic? For some reason at the sound of his name I sat up straighter, “Really?!” I heard Dominic. “You are going to chew me out even though I was the one to call you? Haven’t you heard that you’re not supposed to shoot the messenger?”

“I’ll shoot the messenger and the damn horse he rides on if it means making sure Veronica is safe.” I couldn’t’ help but feel a little happy about what Samuel said. “Where is she?” I listened to him stomp his way towards where I am, making me look at Jude. He looked at me with a confused face, and the soup still in hand when the curtain was drawn back. “There you are,” Samuel said before turning his attention to Jude, “you must be the one that brought her here.” Jude nodded, “I owe you,” Samuel said and came towards me, “and you are coming with me.” In moment I was up in his arms as he held me bridal style. “We are going to get some food in you.” Samuel sounded determined as he turned on his heel and started to the exit. We passed by Dominic and I notice Samuel give him the cold shoulder that should come with it’s on blizzard warning.

As we entered the hallway I couldn’t help but feel consciousness of myself with the way Samuel was carrying me. “What about my things?”

“Your friend Rayne is bringing them to the car,” of course she is. She never misses an opportunity to see Samuel.

Reaching to the hair tie I undid the ponytail letting all my hair cover my features, more so the scars. “What now?”

“You eat,” I nodded, “and then I kill your mother.”

Image


Samuel is no doubt a man of his word because the moment we left school ground he drove us to the nearest restaurant. Granted it was Denny’s and I know he isn’t too fond of the place, but he dragged me in and ordered me enough food that I felt full to the point of upchucking. At some point while I was eating he excused himself and stepped out to call someone, who turned out to be my father. Like I said before only my father and Samuel know of the strong medication I’m on so he knows I need to eat at least something. To be truthful I didn’t think he’d react that much to my situation, but the moment he got home it was world war III in the parlor. Samuel and my father on one team and my mother alone, but she stood her ground. They are still arguing now as I sit in the yard in the gazebo that nobody seems to use anymore. I feel by this point the gazebo is just here for decoration.

Sitting at the little table placed in the gazebo I gnawed on the end of my pen as I looked down at two different papers. One a question worksheet for The Catcher In The Rye, and the other a flyer for some dance the school is going to hold. Frankly I don’t remember taking a flyer, but if I’m right then Rayne probably slipped it into my things. She’s relentless that girl. We are in our finally year of high school and she still hasn’t given up the idea of dragging me to one of those dances pretentious people. Crinkling the paper up I tossed it and then looked down at my English homework. My eyes fell on the last question.

12. What was your favorite quote from the chapter?


A quote popped up but to check I grabbed the book and flipped to chapter twenty-five. My eyes started skimming the pages when a scraping noise came from in front of me. Looking up from the page I found Dominic seated across from me with a rather nervous expression. I placed my pen in the book to hold the page as I pulled the worksheet and my notebook to me. I ripped a piece out of the notebook and made a book mark. Replacing the pen with the paper I started scribbling in my notebook as I heard Dominic take in a breath.

“Come on, Ronnie,” I paused in my writing when I heard him call me by my old nickname. “Talk, say something.” I stopped writing and ripped the paper out before placing it in front of him. The whole time I didn’t look at him, “Go away,” I heard him read aloud. “I’m doing work. P.S. don’t call me that.” He paused as I tapped my pen on the table, “are you worried about Raquel seeing us?” I clicked my tongue, quickly scribbled something down again, and held it up. “As if. I just don’t want to be near you… Well that hurts.” I shrugged as I brought the notebook to my lap and flipped to a new page. Looking over my notebook I grabbed my book and opened it back up to the marked page. Pulling my worksheet to my notebook I wrote down the quote.

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.


I don’t know exactly why, but I found myself really liking this quote. Smiling to myself because I finished my homework I looked up and accidently let my eyes fall on Dominic. He gave me a hesitant smile making me drop mine, and look away. “Don’t be that way.” I rolled my eyes and decided to distract myself with the book hoping he’d get the hint to leave. “You never used to be this way when you were younger,” he said and I clenched my teeth. Refusing to look at him I flipped the page and let my eyes skim the words. “Nowadays you cling to Samuel,” I started scribbling something in my notebook again, but this time faster. The more Dominic opened his mouth and spoke the more irritated I felt I’m becoming. “Some days I can’t help but think you deliberately replaced me with him.”

I slammed my notebook on the table and stood up. “Who replaced who, with who?” I asked with an edge in my voice as I gather my belongings. I was about to walk out of the gazebo when I rip the page I wrote on and slammed it in front of Dominic. “J. D. Salinger, learn something from him.” I growled and walked away leaving him with a quote from the book.

‘You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "Fuck you" right under your nose.’


Just as I reached the door that leads into the house I heard Dominic call after me. With my back to him I flipped him the bird and walked inside, making sure to lock the door behind me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love you my Subscribers, Recommenders, and Commenter,
Baby – I – like – it93

Anyway please comment and tell me what you think!