The Devil’s Chivalry

One

A lady must be poised.
A lady must be confident.
A lady must be intelligent.
A lady must be beautiful.


These are the rules my grandmother taught me every summer that the family got together at our summer home in Florida. Everyone always seemed happy with each other in front of the children, seemed being the key word. Apparently there was hostility between a couple of people, but as a child I couldn’t see it then. I didn’t see a lot of things back then. Like the envy in my sister’s eyes. On my seventh summer a nasty fire broke out at the summer house and the culprit that started it was my very sister. Pretending to help me escape the house she locked me in a spare bedroom leaving me to die with a smile on her face. After that I don’t remember much due to smoke inhalation, but I remember waking up in the hospital on my stomach. My back was severely burned, but that wasn’t the only thing I woke up to. No, the moment I was able to process my thoughts I found out my sister, Raquel, was my grandmother’s new favorite.

With my scars I had become shy and lost my confidence, I had become self-conscious for a period of time and stopped attending school, every time I was around a flame I would lose my composure. Though most importantly because my body was marred I had become ugly, so in the eyes of my grandmother I had become unfit for her recognition. I had become unfit for the family. Even though her attitude towards me is completely rude it just shows how much her so called ‘love’ for me went. The moment her precious gem of a granddaughter earns a flaw she tosses her to the side for the next one. Doesn’t that tell one a lot about the standards of the Woolgar family?

With the head’s favoritism, my sister also gained my would-be fiancé and now ex-best friend, Dominic Kenway. Granted he’s seven years older than my sister and I, but he’s a decent guy from a well-established family. Though decent as he may be the moment he heard Raquel was being looked upon I was dropped almost immediately. I guess when it comes to our friendship it means nothing compared to future riches. I still see him around the house, at private parties, and at my school. He actually works at my school as the senior U.S. history instructor. Every so often I spot him in the hall making me turn tail and go in the opposite direction. Other times I don’t have enough time to react so I walk by him without a word leaving him with a gaping mouth. He’s tried talking to me, but I refuse to utter a word to him unless I need to. He wasn’t there for me when the fire happened, he wasn’t there for me when I woke up in the hospital, he wasn’t there for me when my family took their love from me, and he wasn’t there for me when I felt utterly alone. No, he wasn’t there for me because he was with Raquel, drinking up the lime light.

If he thinks he can just talk to me like nothings happen between us then he needs to think again. Any chances to rekindle our friendship died a long time ago. To be truthful most of my good nature has dwindled away by now. If I do say so myself I’m quite the ice princess.

Letting out a sigh I opened the door to the piano music room and stepped in. There was a gasp drawing my attention to the wall beside me. A girl was pressed against the wall, her shirt completely open, in the arms of a rather tall dark haired man. Looking between the two I closed the door behind me and kept walking in the room towards the grand piano. I could hear the girl scramble to fix herself, shuffling of footsteps, and then the door slammed. Taking a seat at the piano I let my fingers glide across the keys as I heard my phone vibrate in my bag. Probably my driver wanting to know where I am, but I don’t care. I want to play something since I rarely have a chance at home.

My mind raked through the pieces I know and somehow Hans Zimmer just kept popping up. He’s my favorite non-classical composer, but my favorite nonetheless. Moving my fingers across the keys I started playing ignoring my cell phone. The sound grew heavy as I placed my all into them. Of everything that was taken from me I still hold onto music.

“You really know how to ruin a moment don’t you girl?”

I jumped slightly in my spot but continued to play, “this is a music room. Not a sex spot.”

I heard a chuckle, “well trust me I was about to make some music of my own.” I scowled at his words, “what is this? It sounds familiar.”

“Time by Hans Zimmer,” he said nothing, “it’s from the movie Inception.”

“Ah now I remember,” he sounded pleased with himself. He stayed quiet through the rest of the song. The whole time I could feel his eyes on me as I played and to be honest it made me nervous. It’s been a long time since I played in front of anyone. Finishing the last note I looked up to see him leaning against the piano, eyes locked on me, “how do you play without sheets?” I shrugged, “alright play something else.” Wow, a request. Looking down at the keys I decided on Davy Jones, another great piece from Hans Zimmer. About hallway into the music I felt a presence besides causing me to abruptly stop and turn. The guy was hovering over me with a quizzical look on his face, “you look familiar.” He leaned closer taking me off guard, but it didn’t bother me. Then his hand reached out touching my untamed blonde hair making me panic and jump out of my seat, knocking the stole over.

“Don’t Touch Me!” I screamed feeling my heart race.

He looked utterly shocked at my reaction when the door flew open and Dominic ran into the room. His eyes went from me to the dark haired guy and then narrowed. Quickly crossing the room he sized the guy up, “what’s going on?” he asked no one in particular.

“Just a misunderstanding.”

Dominic looked over his shoulder at me, “is this true Veronica?”

I watched him for a moment before picking up my bag and walking past him, but I stopped besides the other guy. “I’m sorry,” I whispered and made my way out of the room.

Fishing my cell phone out of my bag while walking down the hall I felt a hand on my shoulder causing me to quickly turn around. I knew who it would be so I immediately slapped the hand away as viciously as I could. “Don’t touch me with your filthy money grubbing hands,” I hissed at Dominic who stood speechless. He frowned making me huff and turn on my heel resuming my walk when my phone vibrated. “I’m coming,” I snapped into my cell.

Image


It was four o’clock when I arrived to the family estate, and for some odd reason I felt on edge. Usually I’m able to shake these kinds of feelings off but this time it was different. Stepping out of the car I solemnly walked up the steps and entered my mansion like house.

“Veronica,” I heard my mother say once I crossed the threshold. My eyes landed on her taking in her pinned up hair, her flowing summer dress, and her glittering jewels hanging off her. She looked beautiful especially with the few strands of gold hair framing her face. Though her outfit was fine the tight line scowl said otherwise.

“Mother.”

She uncrossed her arms revealing a piece of paper in her hand, “I see you ranked third in your class.” I remained silent as she crossed the space between us and slapped me. “How dare you do better than your sister.” She seethed, “she needs to keep a perfect appearance and yet you go and try to outshine her.”

“Pathetic,” I said and she raised her hand again except this time I stopped it. “Instead of punishing me for doing well maybe you should be doing something to help Raquel.” I threw her hand away from me, “Lord knows she won’t break the fifties if she doesn’t properly study,” my mother was shaking in rage as I walked past her and up the stairs. My face stung the whole way to my room, but I refuse to shed tears. Tears are a sign of weakness and I will not be branded as a weak blubbering fool. Walking into my room I grit my teeth feeling my shoulders shake violently. I hate this house, this family, and how everything is ran. I can’t trust anyone outside my own room and I can’t be myself without being punished. Passing by a mirror hanging on the wall I felt myself finally loose it as I smashed my textbook filled bag at it. A shattering sound came and in moments my door flew open and two maids rushed in looking frantic.

“Miss,” One said coming up to me, “are you okay?” she asked.

“Heh, you have to ask?” a voice came from my door. Raquel looked at me and then the ground before waltzing in. Her straight blonde hair cascading down her back while her hazel eyes looked down at me. “She has always had a few screws loose.”

“So the pot says to the kettle,” I shot back and she feigned innocence. Giving her a glare she smirked and crossed her arms.

“You better watch that attitude Ver. One day you might actually snap,” she pointed a manicured nail at me.

Giving a smile I walked up to her, picking up a pair of scissor on the dresser I passed and came at her. She screamed and put her hands up as I slammed the silver blades in the wall behind her. A few strands of blonde hair floated down as she opened her eyes to look at me.

“Trust me. The day I finally lose it you will most certainly be the first to know,” I moved back leaving the scissors imbedded the wall and Raquel glaring daggers at me. Glancing at the maids I caught them staring at Raquel and I’s scene, “I’ll be in my study so in the meantime please clean this up.” They nodded and I looked at Raquel noticing she was still glaring at me. Without thinking I smirked at her, oddly feeling triumphant, and left.

“VERONICA!” Raquel screamed my name in the hall making me stop in my tracks. “Don’t you dare try and make a fool out of me.”

“I don’t have to try.”

“Why you…” she trailed off when someone cleared their throat behind me, but I didn’t bother turn around.

“Veronica,” it was my personal assistant Samuel, “I have today’s numbers for you and the stock information you requested.”

“And the other information I requested?”

“I have it as well.”

“Well done,” I held a hand out and a leather portfolio made its way into my hand. “Is there anything else you’d like to tell me dear sister?” I asked her in a mocking tone. “No? Then I’ll take my leave,” I turned my back to her when a thought occurred to me. Glancing back at her I notice she was about to walk away, “you should talk to mother. The quarter grade reports are out and it seems your rank has dropped significantly.” She froze, “makes me wonder what you’re really doing in those after school study sessions.” Raquel scoffed and resumed walking in a quick pace.

“Must you really antagonize her?” Samuel asked following behind me. Samuel has been around me for a long time, since I was a child. I met him when I was five years old making him thirteen, and truthfully speaking neither of us liked each other. Yet he’s actually the one that dragged me out of the fire eleven years ago and so has stayed by me ever since. “Anyways your mom,” he doesn’t speak formally when it’s just the two of us, “is having company over-”

“Tell her I’m not going,” I waved a hand, “I rather die than attend her company dinners.” Besides she smacked me, so she can assume that I will not be showing myself tonight. “You can have someone send the food to me,” I said leaning against the door to my study.

He nodded, “I’ll go inform your mom and be back soon,” I nodded and he left.

Entering my study I flipped the lights on and made my way to my desk. This room used to belong to an uncle of mine, but after he died I took the room. Looking through the place was an adventure and the treasures were indeed valuable. Dirty secrets about some of the family members that would put the press into a frenzy. Sometimes I like to think his death wasn’t a natural occurrence with everything he knew, because my family has no real limits.

Placing the portfolio on the desk I sat down and started up my computer. Listening to it hum I pulled out a remote from my side drawer and pressed ‘play’ for my stereo to start. Pulling the leather folder to me I opened it up and pushed the company and stock papers aside to find want I really wanted. I found out sometime ago that some of the family’s money goes missing every other month and every time it’s through a different account. Most recently some was taken out of my account and I know I haven’t made any authorization for withdrawals, especially such a large sum of money. Crossing my legs I placed my elbows on the desk and laced my fingers together. Setting my chin on my fingers I kept reading the papers.

Money just doesn’t disappear. So where does ten thousand dollars go?

After ten minutes of looking over bank papers a maid came into to my room asking me to change out of my uniform and into the clothes she prepared. Without a word I stripped and gave her my uniform before putting on the outfit she had for me. My London tank with black shorts, a hoodie, and my favorite black knee high boots. After changing I placed the bank information aside and started looking at my stock information. I can’t forever rely on my grandmother’s money, especially when the day comes and she decides to toss me out of the family. Good thing for me I have a keen eye when it comes to investing in certain companies. After some time Samuel came back with my school bag in hand telling me that I need to do school work. Reluctantly I listened to him and within minutes his Spartan tutoring session commenced lasting three hours. No wonder I’m in the top three.

Around the time I finished my homework a maid brought Samuel and I our dinner which we ate happily while watching TV.

“I just remember something,” Samuel said.

“What?”

“I bought a bag of dum dums, but left them in the kitchen,” he sighed as I quickly got up and walked out the room. What can I say? I’m a sucker for those suckers. “Veronica,” Samuel hissed catching up to me, “there’s company down stairs.”

“Calm down. I’m only going to the kitchen,” I waved a hand, “they won’t see me.” He mumbled something that I didn’t catch. Not paying mind to his protests I evaded the dining room and went to the kitchen seeing the cook whipping out his food. Careful not to get in his way I snuck into the pantry to look for the sweets. “Where did you put the bag?” I asked looking around.

“I got them,” I turned to see Samuel with the bag in hand holding a cherry pop out for me. Gladly taking it I plopped it in my mouth, “we’ll take the bag so let’s go.”

With a nod I started my way out of the kitchen and into the hallway. With my hands folded behind my back Samuel followed close to me. “Just get it over with,” he remained quiet, “I know about the tickets to California. You leave next week correct?”

“I was going to tell you eventually-” he stopped talking when a door opened and my mother walked into the hall. She looked around and then her eyes landed on me.

“Veronica,” she said in a rather upbeat voice. “I was wondering if you’d be able to join us,” she smiled and then gestured for me to enter the dining room. I just stood in my spot watching her when she narrowed her eyes, a smile still plastered to her face.

I bit down on my lollipop and reluctantly moved forward to the entrance of the room and took one step in. A young woman was seated next to an older gentleman at the large table across from Raquel, Dominic, and an empty seat which I guess belongs to my mother. My father sat at the head watching me, well everyone was watching me. “Veronica, correct?” the older gentleman asked and I nodded. He smiled, “I heard you were busy working and wouldn’t be able to join us for dinner. Is there a chance you may stay for dessert?”

“Of course she will,” my mother said behind me pushing me forward a bit. “I’ll have someone set a spot for you beside Dominic.”

My eye flickered over to Dominic and for a moment our gazes met causing me to openly scowl at him. “Hmm,” my gaze moved to the young woman, “I sense tension between the two. A former lover perhaps?”

Before I could speak Raquel was quick to reaction, “Hardly. They couldn’t be,” she snaked her hand around Dominic’s forearm. “We’re engaged. Making him my fiancé.”

I chuckled, “Of course you are,” I raked a hand through my mess of wavy blonde hair causing the young woman to gasp. With my hand pushing my hair back I revealed a ghastly scar starting from my left temple run down my face to my neck and then disappearing under my shirt collar. “Since you two are so perfect for each other and all.”

“Veronica,” my parents said in unison. I dismissed their reprimanding tones as I locked eyes with my sister. I could see the worry from my outburst in her eyes, but also a hint of pride knowing she was the one to mar me. She’s such a sadist.

“Ver,” a deep voice came from behind me. A hand wrapped around my waist and another was pulling my other hand out of my hair. My hair fell back down covering my scars, “Excuse us,” Samuel said and then walked me out of the room. My mother didn’t even try following us, but something tells me I will hear about this later. There is a good chance she will rant about me acting out and other stuff I frankly don’t have time to care about. Samuel guided me into my room and walked me to my bed letting me sit down. Walking into my bathroom he came out with a bottle of pills and went to my night stand to pull out a bottle of water. “I had a feeling you didn’t take it last night.” He handed me a pill.

Elavil.

Feeling too tired to fight him off I reluctantly took the pill and removed the candy from my mouth. Popping the pill in I drank some water swallowing the medication. It’s an antidepressant that helps with my moods, it’s something only my father and Samuel knows about. Sighing I let my eyes fall to the floor feeling exhaustion wash over me. “I’m going back to the study to put everything away so just sleep. Not that you have a choice with the pill you just took.” Slowly I took my boots off and then crawled under my blankets not bothering to change. Finding a comfy spot I closed my eyes while Samuel said ‘goodnight’ and left the room. Tossing and turning I sat up, took off my jewelry and watch, and tossed them on my nightstand before laying back down. After moving around a bit I felt the medication take effect making my eyelids heavy with sleep.

Click

Light spilled in the room followed by shuffling of footsteps. My eyes closed now too heavy to keep open as the footsteps stopped beside the bed. I heard whoever it was take in a breath and with that I fell asleep.

Damn this medication.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to my 1 rec and 2 subscriber! Love ya :)
Veronica’s Outfit

Please comment and tell me what you think!