Status: What do you think?

I'll Take You Away

Leaving A Temporary Home

The old man was serene, quiet. He called me into his room.

"Doctor, it's my time to go. Please call my family." He said it without an ounce of hesitation. He wasn't asking.

He was sure.

Old man, hospital bed...

"Are you positive, sir?" I asked him.

"Yes." His eyes were soft and sad. "Please call my family,"

So I did.

The first woman walked in with Jonah's hand in her.

"Cecilia," the old man said. "Come closer."

"Dad!" She ran to his bedside. "What's going on?"

He ignored the question. "Who's this young man?"

"This is Jonah, your grandson."

"Come here." Jonah walked to the old man.

"I'm your grandfather," he told him in a whisper. "I have just met you, but I love you very much, okay?"

Jonah nodded and the second woman walked in, holding her baby in her arms.

"Jane," he whispered.

"Dad." She moved closer, kissing his forehead.

This room is filled with people he loves...

"Girls," he says, looking at each of his daughters. "It is my time to go."

"No, Dad!" The girls say getting emotional.

"It's okay," he says.

And he whispers, "Don't cry for me,"...

"I couldn't stay forever, even though I want to," he told them. "This was just my temporary home.

"I love you, Dad," the girls each say, kissing him goodbye.

He looks up and says, "I can see God's face.

And then he flatlines.

The women sat crying and holding each other. I walk in, comforting them.

"I'll take you far away from this one day, okay?" I whispered. "God will take you far away from this one day."

It hurt that I couldn't do more for them. After all, I was their guardian angel.

But I'd reunited sisters, given one of them a job, brought Jonah to the other, and made sure they were there for their father's last moments.

I could only wait for the day when I could deliver on my promise to take them away from their temporary homes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any thoughts?