Sequel: Unexpected

Inexperienced

Teenager

I was surprised at how comfortable I felt when I was at Jared’s home. His home made me feel safe. I was surprised how someone I barely knew could have this affect on me. That’s why I chose to stay for dinner tonight. This even surprised myself.

And I was glad that I did. Jenna made a delicious home cooked dinner, something I’ve been lacking for quite sometime. Jared and I got a lot of our work done. Even better, I got to learn more about Jared. His mom was fascinated with him. I could tell she was proud of her son. This only made me feel sad. I haven’t had a mother like that in years.

It was easy too. It was easy to talk to Jared, something I’d found so hard to do before. He’s really not the person he seems to be. In fact, he listens better than anyone I’ve ever met. He doesn’t interrupt or change the subject until we’ve touched on everything.

It was safe to say that I’m lucky to get to know a guy like Jared Kent.

As he walked me to his car at night, I couldn’t help but not want to leave.

“Would you like me to just drive you home?” he asked.

“Umm…my car is at the school.” I said slowly.

“Well, I could take you to school tomorrow.” His voice seemed anxious.

I thought for a moment. “Sure.”

“And then you can drive home in your car, considering our date is still on?”

My eyes popped open. Of course I hadn’t forgotten that we had a date Friday, but I didn’t realize that tomorrow was Friday. “Oh wow, that’s tomorrow isn’t it?”

“If you don’t want to go anymore, it’s okay.” His face fell as he spoke.

“Oh, no. I still want to go,” I explained, causing a smile to erupt across his face. “I was just surprised at how quickly this week has gone by.”

He shrugged, a smile still spread across his.

He took me home and I wished him a goodnight. Unlike the kiss I’d been hoping for, he gave me a quick smile before helping me out of the car.

I walked up the worn steps to my home. He didn’t leave until I was inside. A gentleman. He was surely one of those. I walked up to my room and laid flat across my bed. I heaved a loud sigh that was accompanied with a gleaming smile. I couldn’t believe myself.

Just a week ago I thought I was alone on this planet. But no, I’ve found someone who understands. Someone who’s tired of hiding behind the curtain of an imposter, a person who wants to break free.

I knew this was deeper than just a crush. It felt good to admit it. No matter how people claim you can’t fall in love when you’re so young, I’d have to disagree. Sure, it’s not love yet. But it’s past infatuation and a crush. This boy was driving my insides wild, making my world stop whenever he looked at me. He made my breath catch in my throat whenever he smiled, and he made my heart thump erratically whenever he was near.

No boy has ever been like this for me. Straight from the start, I’d found Jared attractive. An unusual thing for me. What was even more strange, was that I’d let him in so soon. Sure, my guard was up, but bits and pieces of it have slowly begun to fall off.

I stared at my ceiling, his face the only thing I could see.

Broken from my trance I became when I heard a loud crash come from downstairs. I jolted forward. I could hear screaming. I flung open my door and raced down the stairs. I nearly flew into the kitchen where the scene was beginning to unfold.

Several dishes lay broken on the floor, scattered into a multitude of pieces. My mother stood, holding a dish rag near the sink, her eyes burning into my fathers’, who was standing on the other side of the island. They didn’t even notice me.

“I’m sick and tired of doing everything! How dare you say I need more work around here!” My mother shrieked in her high voice.

“Well obviously you aren’t doing enough!” My father’s voice boomed.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Her face seemed insulted.

“You spend so much time cleaning or taking care of Ella, you don’t see what a complete mess you’ve made with Austin!”

My eyes popped open. With me?

“Austin is a teenager, god dammit. I agree, she needs guidance, but my God, I shouldn’t be the only one who has to give it to her!”

I still couldn’t believe they hadn’t seen me standing there yet.

“You’re the one who’s raised her and created this problem, you should fix it.” He crossed his arms across his chest.

“I’ll be damned if I do it alone.”

“Uh hem.” I cleared my throat.

Both my parents turned to look at me, fire burning in their eyes. For one split second I could see a hint of regret behind my parent’s eyes, but it was replaced by anger.

“Austin! I’ve told you to not listen in to other people’s conversations.”

“I’m sorry. I heard the glass break and wanted to make sure everyone was okay.”

For this, my mother had no lecture. Instead she shot my father a final look and turned around to grab a broom and dust pan.

“Good night, Austin,” my father said before kissing me on the forehead and leaving the room.

I turned around and headed back upstairs. My parents were psychotic. I’m not surprised my dad chose to throw me as a burden on to my mom. But honestly, what would they know about me? It’s not like they knew about Jared stopping by or anything.

I laid back down on my bed, and let my thoughts drift into unconsciousness. I still had tomorrow to look forward to, and I wasn’t going to let a little thing like my parents stand in my way of having a perfect date with Jared.