Sequel: Unexpected

Inexperienced

The Night Of

I was bouncing through my morning activities. My hands continually began to shake. And I’d randomly start humming some sort of active tune to keep my mind off of Jared. Of course, it was no use.

His voice constantly filled my thoughts. His words kept me hanging on every thought. Today was my first date. Not only, ever, but my first date with Jared. My stomach twisted into a knot. My heart felt like it grew wings and started to flutter. How could this be happening to me? One minute, I’m alone in this world. The next, I’ve found someone that makes me realize I was never truly whole.

I wasn’t surprised how quickly I got done with everything. And I tried my best to look as good as I could. Impressing wasn’t my strongest forte, but right now, I’d do anything to look halfway decent.

Driving to school took shorter than normal.That could be because I was completely surprised Jared remembered to come pick me up. And on my way to first period, only made me more nauseous. I kept picturing his turquoise blue eyes and gleaming white smile. I’d get that all to myself, tonight.

Lunch came quickly. And as I stood in line, a light touch brushed my arm. I turned to my side to see Jared standing next to me. “Hey,” he sighed. I smiled at him.

I grabbed a bottle of water and an apple. “That’s all you’re going to eat?”

I nodded. “I’m not that hungry.”

“Well good, you can save room for dinner tonight.”

“So that’s what we’re doing, huh? Dinner?” I smiled. We walked over to my normal table and sat down.

He took his index finger and thumb, pinched them together, and pulled them across his face, symbolizing his silence on the details of our date.

“C’mon, Jared. I need to know what to wear. Am I supposed to dress up or wear jeans? I don’t want to look out of place.” I could feel my cheeks getting hot.

He laughed. “Chill, Austin. You’ll look great in whatever.”

I rolled my eyes. “Seriously, Jared. I need to know.”

“I don’t want to give anything away.” He mumbled.

“You won’t Jared, I promise. Just tell me what I should wear, please.” I gave him a pleading look.

He groaned. “Don’t look at me with that face.”

I made my eyes grow wider and added a pout to my lower lip.

He made another moaning noise. “Fine. Wear something in between casual and formal.”

I giggled. “Mmk. Thanks.”

“You’re lucky you’re cute,” he snickered. “Or else that face wouldn’t have worked.”

I smiled an evil grin. “Think I can use it to get any information about the date?”

He shook his head. “Not even a chance.”

Again, I pouted.

“Sorry, love, you’re going to have to wait. This time, I think I can keep my mouth shut.” He laughed.

I snickered. “Fine.”

“You’re cute when you’re mad.”

My eyes narrowed, which only forced him to chuckle.

The bell rang just then. “I’ll see you next period,” he whispered, a smile glistening on his lips.

“Mhm,” I nodded.

And of course he was there, sitting next to me in Pre-Calculus. It was funny to think that just a week ago I couldn’t stand to look at him. But here I am today, unable to stop thinking about him.

Mr. Hender decided he was too busy to actually teach. “Free period. Please don’t get too loud.”

Immediately, Jared turned to me. “Thank god.”

“Tell me about it.” I smiled.

We stared at each other for several minutes. I was completely immersed in his eyes.

A small hand grazed his shoulder, causing him to shudder. He turned around while I looked up. There stood Mary Kade. She was the typical popular girl in high school. She had a tall, lean figure with glowing tan skin. Her eyes were a light blue and her hair was so blonde, it was near white. “Hey, Jared.”

“Oh,” he said. “Hey, Mary.”

She batted her eyelashes in an overly flirty sort of way.

“So, are you going to Kyle’s party tonight?” She shot me a sort of dirty look and glanced back at him.

“Uh, no.” Jared smirked. “I’ve got plans.”

Mary made a pouting face. “Aww, Jearbear. It’s not going to be a party without you there.” Her hand was grazing near his face.

He deliberately took her hand and moved it off his shoulder. “I’m sure you guys will still have a great time.”

She groaned. “Jared.” The bell rang.

“I’ll see you around, Mary,” he said. He turned to me and whispered, “And I’ll see you tonight, Austin.” He stood up and left both me and Mary.

Mary quickly snapped around to look at me. “Excuse me,” I said quietly.

She made a quick ‘humph’ noise. “Look, Austin, right?” I nodded. “Anyways. Jared was mine first. Just because me and him are going through some rough times does not make it okay for you to be all over him.”

I stared at her, dumbfounded.

“Oh.” Her eyes widened. “I’m guessing he never told you about me and him.”

I shook my head.

“That boy. He can be such a player,” she snickered. “Not too long ago, me and him were going out and I got so sick of his little games, I told him we needed a break.”

I just continued to stare at her like an idiot. She was implying that her and Jared’s relationship never truly ended.

“Okay, obviously you aren’t catching on.” She rolled her eyes but then quickly glared at me. Her eyes bored into mine. “He is mine, Austin. Jared and I are together. So stay away.”

I just snickered.

“Stay away,” she said in a final tone before walking away.

I rolled my eyes and mumbled, “Whatever.”

It wasn’t until I got home that my nerves started again. Tonight, I’d need to get some answers. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jared and Mary had a relationship in the past. But if what she was saying is true, I need to get out before I’m into deep. Even though you may already have dug too deep of a hole.

I turned on my curling iron and trashed my closet until I found it. It was exactly what I wanted. Maybe I could look decent, for at least one night. The thought made me heart jump and my stomach tingle.