Sequel: Unexpected

Inexperienced

First Date

My hair took an extremely long time to finish. I curled each piece of my hair perfectly before pulling it back into a complicated pinned up bun. Curls still dangled from my hair. I lined my eyes with a smooth amount of eyeliner and light mascara. My face looked natural.

I grabbed my dress. It was yellow and had white flowers embroidering it. If you looked at it right, it twinkled in the sun and moon.

I slipped on some basic white heels and walked downstairs. Jared would be here any minute.

“Well, don’t you look dolled up,” said my mom.

“Date, remember?”

“Oh, right.”

My father came in just then. “I don’t remember hearing anything about a date, Austin.”

“Well, I told you, Dad. His name is Jared and he’ll be here any minute.”

“You’re not going out with him until I meet this boy.”

I rolled my eyes. “Fine, Dad.” I heard a car door slam. “Look, talk to him now while I run upstairs and get my purse.”

I nearly flew up the stairs. My heart was racing. Jared was here. My dad was going to talk to him. Then we were going on a date. Such trivial things made my body tingle.

I snatched my purse from my bedside table and walked towards the stairs. I took one last deep breath before walking slowly down the stairs. Jared stood talking to my dad. As soon as I stepped down the first step, he turned to look at me.

His eyes seemed to sparkle, and a large smile spread across his face. I could only do the same. He was wearing a nice pair of khakis and a navy blue collared shirt.

When I reached the end of the steps I joined my father and Jared.

“It was nice meeting you, Mr. Ember.” Jared stuck out his hand to shake.

“Likewise, Mr. Kent. Please keep my little girl safe.” My eyes opened widely. My dad seemed to be so full of concern.

I gave him a huge hug. “I love you, daddy.”

“Me too, Austin. Please be careful.”

“I will, don’t worry.”

“I know.” He smiled.

Jared took my hand and we walked to his car. This time it wasn’t his red truck. No, it was a black convertible.

“New car?” I asked.

“No. This one is the one my dad bought me.”

I mouthed an ‘O’ and sat down in the passenger seat. When we were both seated he turned to look at me. “You look beautiful tonight.”

I felt my face turn red. “You look nice, too.”

“Every guy will be jealous of me tonight.”

I playfully smacked his arm. “Stop it.”

“No, really. You look incredible.”

I smiled at him. “Thank you.”

He pulled out of the driveway and began to take me to whatever he had planned for our date.

“Can you still not tell me?” I asked.

“You’ll see when we get there.”

I sighed.

“Trust me, you’ll like it.”

And sure enough, we pulled into Ramona’s, the most expensive restaurant in town.

“Jared, no. We can’t go here.”

“Why not?”

“The prices here are outrageous. I could never make you spend money like that on me.”

He pulled my face to look at him. “Austin, you’re worth every penny.”

My face blushed and I looked down and away. He got out of the car and opened my car door for me, just like a gentleman.

With my hand in his we walked into the restaurant.

“Reservations for Kent,” said Jared to the hostess.

The woman thumbed through the list quickly. “Aah, yes. Mr. Kent. Table for two?”

“That’s correct.”

“Right this way.” She led us to a beautiful, intimate table near the back.

“Jared, you really didn’t have to go out of your way for me.”

He shook his head. “It’s our first date. I wanted it to be special.”

“It would have been special no matter what we did.”

He reached for my hand across the table. “You’re amazing, you know that?”

“Far from it, Jared. You on the other hand. You’re the definition of amazing.”

He scoffed. “You just don’t see it.” I looked down. “Austin, you are the most beautiful, intelligent girl I’ve ever met.”

I took his hand and cupped my cheek in his palm. My eyes closed.

“I think I’m falling for you.” My eyes popped open. He waited patiently for me to reply. My lips burned with desire. He felt the same way too.

“Jared, I think I’m falling for you too.” The realization of my feelings only caused happiness to swell inside of me.

We stared at each other the rest of the night; making small talk and enjoying our meal.

When dinner was over, he paid for the bill and we walked out of the restaurant. I didn’t want the night to be over.

Instead of heading towards the car, we walked around to the other side of the restaurant where a garden sat. There was a large gazebo and soft music was playing. We stepped into the center of the gazebo.

“Will you dance with me?” he asked.

I nodded. “Yes.”

He took my hand and held onto my waist with his other. It felt like something straight out of a fairytale. Jared was my prince charming. The guy I’d been looking for. And I’d finally found him.

I wasn’t sure if he realized the extent of my feelings. I knew that I was falling for him. Hard and fast. And that there was no chance of me getting out of it without pain.

When the song ended we walked back to the car and I felt sadness encompass me. I wasn’t ready to end our date. I wished the night would never end.

The entire ride home, I held his right hand. I couldn’t believe he was mine. We were dating. But I still needed to ask him about Mary.

“Jared?” I mumbled.

“Yeah?” he answered.

“What’s with you and Mary Kade?”

“What do you mean?”

“She told me you guys had a thing. Or still have a thing.”

His face looked angered. “No, we don’t have a thing anymore. But we did.”

“Oh.” My face fell.

“Come on, Austin. Don’t let Mary ruin our night.”

“I’m not trying to. I was just making sure you weren’t together anymore.”

He squeezed my hand. “We’re not.”

“Good,” I smiled.

He pulled into my driveway and cut off the engine. We sat there staring at each other for a few minutes.

It took us not long to lean in. His hand touched my cheek and his lips touched mine.

I couldn’t control myself. He tasted so sweet and his scent was even more inviting.

We broke away when the porch light came on.

“I should be going,” I said breathless.

“Wait.” He grabbed my wrist before I could leave.

“Yes?”

He looked sort of awkward and uncomfortable. “Austin, will you be my…erm…girlfriend?”

I had to control myself from shouting the answer. I gave a mechanical nod. He smiled triumphantly and motioned me to come back and give him one last kiss goodnight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, I am so completely blessed.
Over 200 readers and 75 subscribers, and I've only been updating for the past week! I remember when this had a single subscriber to it's name.

I would like to let you all know that this story is an old one of mine. I wrote it several years ago and I've been working on rewriting it so it flows better, but in the mean time, enjoy!