Sequel: Our Day Will Come
Status: Finished...and the sequel has begun.

Womanizer

VI.

“Did you have a good weekend?” Danny asked when Megan got to work Monday afternoon.

“Yep. Poor Tulane.” Megan sighed with mock pity. “They never had a chance.”

“And how are you liking the spiderweb?”

“The spiderweb” was Danny’s terminology for a relationship. For a split second, Megan had no clue what he was talking about. Then she remembered the lie Brian had told to get her out of work early on Friday.

She lifted a shoulder. “It’s good, I guess.”

“You guess? You guys are in a long-distance relationship. A really long distance. You’d better be sure.”

Megan quirked an eyebrow, amused. “Are you lecturing me?”

“No. I’m trying to help.”

“Oh. Well, the relationship is pretty new. We’re still working out the details.”

Danny nodded, brow furrowing in thought. “He looked familiar."

“That’s because he’s the lead guitarist of Avenged Sevenfold.”

“Avenged Sevenfold?” Danny repeated. “Isn’t that Cassie’s favorite band?”

“Yeah. And their rhythm guitarist is the one dating my cousin.”

“I thought they were engaged?”

“Mmhmm,” Megan mumbled.

Danny chuckled. “You’re so cynical.”

Megan’s cell suddenly went off, emitting Atreyu’s “Our Sick Story.” She checked the screen to see Brian’s name. “Can I take this? It’s him.”

“Go ahead,” Danny said.

Megan flipped open her phone, walking briskly towards the back room. “Hiya, rock star.”

“Hey, Bama babe. What’s up?”

“Nothing. Just slaving away for minimum wage. You?”

“Getting ready to go to the airport.” Pause. “So I’ve got a question for you.”

“Um, okay.”

“How would you feel about me being around more often?”

Megan entered the break room and sat down. “That’d be pretty cool. Why?”

“I’ve been looking at houses and—“

“Wait,” Megan interrupted. “You’ve been looking at houses where? Here?”

“Yeah.”

“Bri, you can’t just move to Alabama for no reason.”

“I have a reason.”

“What reason?”

“Flying to and from California every week is expensive and exhausting. I figure I can rent a house near you guys just for the football season. That’ll make things easier.”

“Bri, I’m not going to tell you what to do. It’s up to you. Now, I’ve gotta go before Danny fires my ass. See you this weekend.”

“Okay. Bye, sweets.”

**********

Brian just wanted to go to bed. He hadn’t slept much the night before because he and Megan had stayed up late talking. And he hadn’t slept on the plane because he couldn’t. He wasn’t scared of flying, but it didn’t exactly relax him.

So he trudged up the porch steps, mind on his nice, comfortable king-sized bed, and found his front door unlocked. “Hello?” he called, walking in cautiously and closing the door behind himself.

There was no answer.

Brian moved across the foyer and checked the living room. He felt a moment of relief at the sight of Veronica. It was very short-lived, however, and quickly replaced by a mix of dread and irritation.

“What are you doing here?” he asked.

Veronica looked at him, her eyes ablaze with anger. “Who is she?”

Brian frowned. “Who is who?”

“The dumb slut with you at the Alabama-Tulane game.”

Brian tensed.

“Yeah, Bri,” Veronica continued, taking his silence as an admission of guilt. “We watched the game at Matt’s and they showed the two of you. Is she the reason you went back to Alabama this weekend?”

“No.”

“Don’t lie!” Veronica’s lower lip trembled. She was close to tears. “What does she do that I don’t, Bri? What hold does that whore have on you?”

“Don’t call her that!”

“Why not? That’s what she is.”

“No, she’s not. For your information, she’s Janine’s cousin, Megan. And I’m not sleeping with her.”

“Oh,” Veronica mumbled meekly.

Brian took a deep breath. Now was the time to do what Megan had advised. “But if I was, it’s none of your business.”

“What do you mean? Bri, I’m your—“

“Nothing,” he finished for her.

She stared at him. “Are you breaking up with me?”

Breaking up with you? Veronica, we were never together! You convinced yourself we were, but we weren’t.”

“But…” There were definitely tears in her eyes now.

“It was just sex. Get over it.”

Her expression stayed mildly disbelieving for a few seconds before Brian watched acceptance alter her features. Tears spilled down her cheeks. “Fucking asshole!” she spat, and shoved past him on her way out.

Brian listened to the door slam. He almost felt bad for not feeling bad that he’d hurt her. Almost.

Yawning, he climbed the stairs and went into his bedroom, where he collapsed on the bed fully-clothed and drifted off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another short one. Sorry, guys.

The update schedule for this week is going to be Thursday (July 5th) and Sunday (July 8th). It's just looking like it's going to be a busy week and I have plans this weekend.

Special thanks to:

andrea weekes
Vixyn Of Shadows
Mrs.A7X!!!
FaBzShadows
a.rebel.in.love.97

Can I maybe get six comments on this chapter??? Pretty please! :-)