Status: In Progress

Where We Want to Be

Night Off

It was a slow day at the café, then again it was pouring cats and dogs and I doubted anyone would want to leave their nice sheltered homes to come get coffee or tea. Not in this weather.

Hearing my phone’s ringtone was weird, the only people who I ever talked to was my sister, her husband or James. They all knew better to call when I was working so I knew it wasn’t them. If they needed something they knew to text me.

Looking down I got confused seeing Zayn’s number, I didn’t remember ever getting his number and putting it in my phone or even giving him mine.

“Hello?” I asked confused as I answered, only shaking my head when I heard Zayn’s laugh.

“Hey, it’s Zayn.” He chuckled.

“Well yeah, someone put their number in my phone” I pointed out.

“Yeah, sorry about that; I usually don’t do that kind of stuff. Leave that for Harry” he murmured, “And I usually don’t do this either, but I was wondering if you were free tonight?”

“I’m actually not” I chuckled nervously, I still wasn’t ready for any type of relationship with anyone, “I’m actually watching my niece.” I lied smoothly, I wasn’t working tonight or
watching Sabrina, I just didn’t want to hurt his feelings by rejecting him.

“Oh, well I could always stop by with my dog” he mused, only earning a laugh from me.

“Are you using your dog to see me?” I accused him amused.

“Would I sound like a prick if I said maybe?”

I shook my head even though he wouldn’t even see it, “Sorry Zayn, girl’s night tonight. Maybe some other time?” I offered even though even then I would say no and make up another excuse.

Another few hours at the café I switched shifts with Sarah before putting on my coat and heading home, it was rare to have an afternoon off but James was insisting I take a night off so
I accepted.

Sighing I looked around my empty loft, there was really nothing for me to do at home. Sure I had the television but it would agitate me to sit on the couch the whole night.

Going against my better judgment I changed into a pair of dark skinny jeans and a top that slid of one shoulder before checking my reflection and leaving towards the bar. James had said I couldn’t work tonight but nothing about me stopping by for a free drink or two.

James sent me a dirty look as he saw me enter the bar, taking a seat on a free stool and smiling at him, “You said I couldn’t work tonight, nothing about me visiting” I reminded him.

He rolled his eyes as I leaned over the counter grabbing a glass and serving myself, “That’s not a good example to show the rest of the customers” he refuted.

“They don’t work here” I smirked.

Muttering something along the lines of “you’re lucky I like you” he went back to the other customers as I just looked around the bar, getting into the soccer game that both televisions were showing.

“So tell me, has pretty boy asked you out yet?” James asked as the crowd got distracted with the game rather his serving skills.

“He asked me to go out tonight, even tried using his dog as leverage. But I’m just not in the mood to date someone” I sighed drinking my beer.

“Then HAL the boy, hookup and leave him” he pointed out as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“That’s disrespectful” I scolded amused.

Shaking his head he looked at me, “Your twenty, this should be the time of your life when you have one night stands whenever.”

“I’d like to make it to thirty without an STD, thank you very much.”

“You’re letting a fine piece of ass get away from you sweetcakes” he chastised as I chugged the rest of my beer.

“And you are keeping your customers waiting” I grinned before jumping off the stool and saying goodbye as I made way out of the bar to head home.

I’d gotten my fun for the night and now I could go home and peacefully curl up in bed and sleep, I didn’t have to go in tomorrow morning to the café which mean I could sleep in until
the afternoon at the bar.

I didn’t think I would end up running into anyone I knew on the way home, but as fate likes to hate me I ended up running into Liam and Zayn, who like me hadn’t been looking to where they were going since all three of us walked into each other.

“Sorry” I told them quickly as I caught my balance on their arms.

“It’s alright, we were just getting home” Liam chuckled as I finally gained my balance.

“You guys live here?”

They nodded looking at me, “Yeah, we live in that building. Why?”

“Small world, that’s my building over there” I pointed to one a few down from them.

“It was nice seeing you Lilah, but I’m about to fall dead asleep. See you soon” Liam apologized rushing into his apartment leaving me alone with Zayn.

“I thought you were watching your niece?” he asked confused.

I nodded remembering the small lie I’d told him earlier, “She got sick earlier so Lucy stopped by to pick her up early.”

He frowned, “That sucks, is she feeling better?”

“Loads” I smiled, “It must have been something she ate, and Lucy called a bit ago. She feels better”

“Are you free tomorrow for breakfast?” he asked as I was about to walk towards my apartment, “Sorry, I feel like I’m insisting.”

“I’d love to Zayn, really I would. I’m just really busy right now with moving into my own place and with work.”

“Give me a call then? When you have time?” he asked hopeful.

I said goodnight to him as I walked around him and into my building, he was a persistent person on going out with me. And I felt guilty, but I just couldn’t get involved. Not now.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys, the comments mean so much. But keep commenting all you want.